German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, preparing to be a first time GSD owner. Husband and I have been approved by a local GSD rescue and we are looking at the particular young female. Haven’t met her in person yet.

All her boxes check out as to what we are looking for. She is friendly, sweet, does well with kids and other dogs. They recommend her to be placed with a retired couple or a family that is not extremely active. They said she likely won’t play fetch or go for runs because she is not “terribly confident”. Could that be a potential issue? Is confidence something that could be worked on over time through training? The only thing we are worried is lack of confidence and if that could lead to a possible fear aggression, but the rescue has not mentioned anything about reactivity or fear aggression.

I know there are many knowledgeable members and would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
They said she likely won’t play fetch or go for runs because she is not “terribly confident”. Could that be a potential issue?
Of course it's an issue! Just depends on you and your expectations how much of an issue that would be for you.

Not at all sure that they've assessed the dog correctly though. Dogs that lack confidence are typically not good with new people and dogs. So, could be they're reading her a bit wrongly.

You can help a dog or puppy build confidence, but you can't change genetics. If the dog shows a lack of confidence as a puppy or young dog, it will always be that way to some degree.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Could just be a lack of reasonable exposure to the world of fun available with you. Lack of confidence doesn't necessarily mean skittish or aggressive at all.

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
Hello everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, preparing to be a first time GSD owner. Husband and I have been approved by a local GSD rescue and we are looking at the particular young female. Haven’t met her in person yet.

All her boxes check out as to what we are looking for. She is friendly, sweet, does well with kids and other dogs. They recommend her to be placed with a retired couple or a family that is not extremely active. They said she likely won’t play fetch or go for runs because she is not “terribly confident”. Could that be a potential issue? Is confidence something that could be worked on over time through training? The only thing we are worried is lack of confidence and if that could lead to a possible fear aggression, but the rescue has not mentioned anything about reactivity or fear aggression.

I know there are many knowledgeable members and would appreciate your input.
would it be possible to post her entire bio or whatever write up they sent you…. just to provide more context.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure. I just want to clarify that the rescue (in my opinion) is really focused on GSDs and they know everything about them. Even the vetting process we went through was very thorough. Some tough cases they won’t place in some homes, some need experienced handlers, some go through additional training before being placed in a new home and they always wait for two weeks for assessment before placing them to the right home.

here is her full profile:

Here you can see other dog’s assessments and bios (for comparison):

·
Administrator
10,027 Posts
she sounds nice….. i’m still a bit stumped with exactly what they’re getting at with the confidence remark in relation to running/fetch. i was hoping to have a better picture after reading the whole bio. rather than speculating… i’d just reach out to them and ask. or better yet, go meet her….

i didn’t see anything that would suggest potential fear aggression.

edit: but yes, to your original question… you can improve / further develop a dogs confidence thru training and relationship.

Reactions: RedactedSource

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
To me as well, she sounds like a great first time GSD! Go meet her and make your own assessment!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts