German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Vigo the GSD & Rooney the Mastiff mix
97 Posts
Cassidy’s mom that is the best picture! :ROFLMAO:
I love it! That is exactly what Tanka looked like with total wiggle butt going on because he was so happy to see me. Thank goodness he wasn’t a jumper or I may have ended up injured!

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
I have so many, I’d have to take over this entire thread!
Let’s seeee.... I was exercising younger Rolf on a 50-foot line, in a park adjacent to a huge sports field, where kids were training with their coaches.
All was going great, until a team showed up with several soccer balls. One kid dropped one, it went rolling, and after it bolted Rolf, at full speed.
What did I do? 🤪
Yup, you know it, grabbed the long line, and was promptly yanked off my feet. Fell on all fours, almost face-planted in the grass. Talk about undignified!
Rolf got away, thank goodness he didn’t gator anyone, and that the people weren’t afraid of him. “Oh, hello, doggie!”
I got up, trying to look unfazed. Both wrists were throbbing as I jogged up and retrieved the line, apologizing and reeling in Mr. Canine Messi.
I thought I heard a few chuckles...

·
Registered
740 Posts
Wow, you'd think that would make itself evident on the way out the back door, if you know what I mean :cool:
It was a really good scam. My wife is in charge of the kitchen. Primary planner and head chef. My mom is guest baker and general kibitzer. I am a short-order cook, clean-up, and grocery getter (after the list has been made by wife and amended by mom :) No one realized anything was missing. We all just assumed someone else used it or put it away by accident.

Now, anything other than fruit that is left on the counter goes on the microwave under a pyrex dish.

I never saw any butter wrappers. Ole usually poops on our walk through the neighborhood to the trailhead. I pick it up in a plastic bag and plop it (pun intended) in the garbage can by the trail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am cackling so hard from all these I can barely type!

I have a bad memory so I have trouble recalling some of my "I should've known better" moments with Charlie, but I think one of the most awful/funniest was when he was very young, probably only 2.5 months. He had just gotten done at his trip to the vet, he had a rough case of worms and we had to do a quick switch of his food a few days before so poops were NOT pleasant. Well, the day after his vet visit, we were hanging out in my room and I decided to go help my dad out real quick with preparing dinner. Charlie was never a very destructive pup, and had plenty of toys, so I left him out in my bedroom to go help. Since we're both big talkers, I stayed gone for a little longer than I meant to. Fast forward 20ish minutes, I make my way to my bedroom, open the door, and low and behold, there is runny poop, EVERYWHERE. He had never jumped on my door or walls before, but he seemed to be feeling pretty artistic that day because he had covered his paws in it and preceded to jump on my wall and my door, effectively smearing it everywhere nearby, as well as himself.

I was absolutely horrified, I sat in shock for a good few minutes while a stinky Charlie stared at me from his bed like "I painted it just for you!"

He had lots of fun watching me scrub the walls and the floor for the next hour before it dried, and then a VERY thorough bath!

You can still see the discoloration smears on my wall to this day....

·
Registered
188 Posts
When Grendel was a pup, about 4 or 5 months old, I irresponsibly left groceries sitting on the floor in my kitchen. I had just gotten home and went outside to talk to my husband shortly after bringing them in. I didn't even think about the fact that the hamburger had been on sale and I had purchased about 5 pounds of it. When we went in, we found that Grendel had consumed a large portion of the raw burger. My husband was so upset with him, that he tied him outside to his truck. Poor Grendel was upset at being punished for doing what he thought was normal that he ate gravel. Poor baby pooped gravel the next day. It was not a good way to teach a lesson, but that dog NEVER again got into any of our food, even when left within his reach.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
It's often said dogs live in the moment. That they don't really "feel" or show true guilt. That it's merely a reaction to our reaction, demeanor upon discovering their misdeed. Nope not true. I was dog sitting for a friend in my home. She never said anything about any bad behaviors and the dog was fine being left alone. So we go out for a couple of hours. We come home and open the door and there is CJ (gsd x beagle mix) sitting in the hall with her ears out to the sides, head down and looking oh so guilty and very bloated in the belly. We had no idea what she could have or would have done. I walk into the kitchen and the full package of hot dog buns, half a package of hamburger buns were gone off the kitchen table. She didn't tear the bags open she removed the plastic clip and removed the buns without damaging the bags. Then I notice the package of chocolate chip cookies is empty too. I'm in a panic. The dog ate all that chocolate. I reach my friend to tell her we are going to the vet. She laughs and tell me not to worry. She tells me CJ loves bread and has done it before. I'm still worried about the chocolate. She tells me a few weeks before CJ ate an entire bag 3 lb. bag of peanut M&Ms she stole out of a closed pantry and if that didn't make her sick fewer chocolate chips probably wasn't going to either.
So we spent the evening with an over stuffed bread filled dog waiting for the explosion. I have never seen a dog poop and poop and poop so much bread in my life. She was fine but boy if you could have seen the look of guilt on her face when we came in the door. The "I'm sorry, I know I was bad and shouldn't have...just couldn't help myself" look. Wasn't my dog...I should have known better than to leave anything out.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,304 Posts
Lots of mistakes and destruction over the years.

Funniest was a Great Dane who tore a ceiling fan down after breaking out of a kennel. He was covered in drywall dust, holding the fan in his mouth when I opened the door. The fan was improperly installed into a regular light box, not a box designed for a fan, and the box was ripped out of the ceiling when he decided to jump up and grab it. I wish I had cameras back then.

This little guy Roscoe came to me in Oklahoma after getting kicked out of multiple foster homes for escape and mass destruction. I had him in a Vari-kennel his first day with me. He ripped through the side, drug a dog bed through the hole and destroyed it inside the kennel. Next day, in a new crate, he tore a hole in the side and got a hold of the curtains, pulling them down and shredding them. Next day, in a wire crate with 100 zip ties holding it together, he slid the tray out of the bottom, walked the crate across the room and shredded another dog bed. I ended up keeping him in that wire crate, upside down so he couldn't get his feet through to the floor, with the crate under my kitchen table, tied to the legs so it couldn't move, with several things set on the table to weigh it down.

Valor has eaten a couple shoes, a couple rugs and a pair of glasses.

I'll post some obedience fails later :)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You know one day I was working retrieves with Cion at club. I throw the dumbbell and wait for it to stop. I give Cion the bring command. He blasts off like a rocket. He doesn’t stop at the dumbbell though. He just keeps going. And going and going. About 100 yards across the island. No end target in sight. Apparently I needed to make a bigger difference between being hand signs and the send out. At least I know he got the idea for that one.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I was training Andy at the park on a 25 foot lead to reinforce his recall. I sent him out with a toss of his toy. I threw the toy far enough so that it landed outside his 25 foot reach and didn't know that the lead was wrapped a couple of times around my ankle until he hit the end of the lead and kept going.

The result was gross. There were to cuts that were deep enough to bleed heavily and the friction burn on the inside of my ankle is still there.
Sheilah

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,009 Posts
I was training Andy at the park on a 25 foot lead to reinforce his recall. I sent him out with a toss of his toy. I threw the toy far enough so that it landed outside his 25 foot reach and didn't know that the lead was wrapped a couple of times around my ankle until he hit the end of the lead and kept going.

The result was gross. There were to cuts that were deep enough to bleed heavily and the friction burn on the inside of my ankle is still there.
Sheilah
That sounds super painful! I’m grateful to not have had that happen though I’ve been drug by horses before and it sucks.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,304 Posts

Sheilah
Been there, done that. Once on a mission. Fama yanked me off my feet in the middle of a meeting with a village elder lol.

Last January, we were camping in Florida. I had the nerd out on a long line. I got a loop around my leg and didn't know it. Threw the bumper. Did the splits.

I have a fake hip.

I was really terrified I dislocated it. Thankfully, no harm other than a burn.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
That sounds super painful! I’m grateful to not have had that happen though I’ve been drug by horses before and it sucks.
I just sold my last horse a couple of months ago. I can't tell you how many times I have ended up skiing in the mud or snow or ice on the way to and from turn out.

And there is always that brain fart that makes you want to hold on when they bolt. And you're usually on the ground by the time you decide to let go.
Sheilah

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I was visiting my brother's family, and after supper we decided to do a movie double-header. I knew I was really pushing it leaving the dogs home alone for so long, but I had never seen The Holy Grail before and I REALLY wanted to see it.

Here's what greeted me when I got home. I use those bags for gathering poop, and there wasn't a single bag that didn't have a hole in it!

Okay, it could have been worse. This was the only damage - no one pooped or peed in the house!

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Mammal Shorts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Me, in obedience class:

Teaching "Leave It" - teacher told us to keep a hand on their collar, and place treat on chair. When they go for the treat, say "Leave It!" and don't let them reach it. I put the treat on the chair, Rumo went for it, and he was so strong that I couldn't hold him! He gulped the treat down with me hanging on to his collar and saying "Leave...."

Between the Legs trick - teaching a fun trick to walk between our legs. Rumo was taller than I thought! When he walked between my legs, I tripped and fell over him (ouch)

Heeling - unable to remember the way she wanted us to use the cones, I kept turning/circling the wrong way. Teacher kept making us go back and start again. I'm still confused!

Rumo likes dog training more than I do. His eyes sparkle and he bounces up and down, he does everything so eagerly...at least one of us enjoys dog training! I'm such a bad trainer though, that he has learned some weird behaviors by connecting the dots wrong in his doggy brain...

·
Registered
174 Posts
In my infinite wisdom (NOT) I totally ruined our extraordinarily handler soft dog's willingness to fetch when she was just a pup by issuing verbal corrections in some different scenarios. It then took me months to teach her to fetch, many many sessions, baby steps, a little outside the box thinking and a lot of patience to finally get her to bring the fetch item all the way back to my hands. Alot of work for a 'simple fetch' but it did feel great to finally gain her trust and the whole situation gave me some fantastic lessons however

·
Registered
258 Posts
Some years ago now, my first GSD... I had cooked a chicken in the crock pot and was getting ready for work. I had the lid off the crock pot and the phone rang, figured pushing it to the back of the counter would be fine (this dog wouldn't touch a steak on the coffee table until he was told it was his). I'm wandering the house, talking and wondering why the dog wasn't anywhere around me. To the kitchen to check I go, he had picked the chicken out of the crock pot and placed it in his dish - by then he pretty well had it picked clean. The only saving grace was most of the bones stayed in the crock pot when he grabbed it. I gave him points for taking it to his dish - guess that made it his officially lol. That one cost him a night at the vet clinic and me a few hundred dollars - I've always called it the most expensive chicken I didn't get to taste.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Three weeks ago, on ebay, I bought a 70-year-old Douglas fir front door with a half-circle glass window on top and had it shipped from Canada down to the States. The shipping cost more than the door did. I spent two days stripping the old varnish off, staining and polyurethening the interior side, and painting the exterior side a nice green. Two weeks ago, I adopted a rescue GSD (3-4 years old, 81 pounds), after my first attempt to adopt a shelter dog was thwarted (he had distemper and the shelter euthanized him). I named the new dog Vajra, and on the first day he learned that by scratching on the door, he could summon me to let him inside or outside. He did this at least 50 times the first day, 25 the second day, and then went down to about 5 times a day. The new door now has claw marks starting almost 5 feet off the ground on both sides. They are not too obvious if you stand far away and don't approach the door. :)

41 - 60 of 67 Posts