German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a habit of putting treats in my pocket, then if I don't use them all, I forget about them. I use chicken jerky, and it does not create a mess, and I just forget it's there. But our boy can smell it, and he investigates and takes action when I'm not looking. Or he goes down by the laundry chute while we're asleep. So the pockets of a couple pair of otherwise perfectly decent looking pants have been "altered" by our male dog, looking for treats. Then I put those pants on, forget about the hole in the pocket, drop my car keys in the "pocket," and look puzzled when I feel them hit the floor by my shoe.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
I was peacefully enjoying a late night stroll in the yard with two dogs on leashes with their regular collars. They were standing behind me when an animal rustled in the bushes. We have skunks, coyotes, and other night creatures, which is why they are leashed at night, so I foolishly hung onto the leashes. They took off, pulled me down and dragged me but I didn’t let go and they didn’t get into a dangerous fight. I broke a bone and had a related injury that took a year to fully heal and 20 weeks of physical therapy. The one who yanked me over was my 35 pounder. She was much younger and stronger then. My large fear biter rescued male stood still while I dragged myself to standing using his back for support.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Nitro's daybed is where he gets his nails done, teeth brushed, ears cleaned, and stuff. His usual 'pay' is cheese pieces. I had to give him a chlorhexidine wipe this morning and I thought, what a treat, I'd pay him with a dehydrated duck neck. I walked away when I'd finished, then heard a polite little whine. He hadn't touched the duck neck. I 'twigged' to what his problem was, I'd paid him wrong, I got some cheese, quickly did his nails, paying him in cheese. Nitro was happy, and then ate the duck neck. Kind of 'fun', having a currency specific dog. Training treats don't have to be cheese.

Dog Dog breed Window Carnivore Fawn

·
Registered
Nadja- AKA the BooRoo
1,009 Posts
I was doing some protection work with Nadja and though I had a steady hold on the line and my feet firmly planted, but I wasn’t ready for her launch at the helper! She yanked me almost to the ground, luckily I was able to catch myself and carry on. I’m only 100 ish pounds but tall and Nadja is 70-75 lbs so she’s almost as heavy as me. Another time I came home to Nadja out of her crate (she figured out how to open it if it wasn’t properly latched) and a piece of flooring that bridged the hardwood and carpet floors together had been ripped off and a puddle of pee next to it.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
At least once a week, i come home to an empty, immaculately clean, yogurt container on my bed.
I'd have my coffee and yogurt in front of my computer on the weekend, and when I was done I'd leave the spoon in the container and put it in the cup, so it wouldn't tip over. And then forget about it when I left the room to take a shower or whatever, forgetting that of course Halo would find it and chomp on it. She was incorrigible around food her entire life, so duh. 🤣

Sometimes she brought me the spoon, lol.

Dog Eye German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a habit of putting treats in my pocket, then if I don't use them all, I forget about them. I use chicken jerky, and it does not create a mess, and I just forget it's there. But our boy can smell it, and he investigates and takes action when I'm not looking. Or he goes down by the laundry chute while we're asleep. So the pockets of a couple pair of otherwise perfectly decent looking pants have been "altered" by our male dog, looking for treats. Then I put those pants on, forget about the hole in the pocket, drop my car keys in the "pocket," and look puzzled when I feel them hit the floor by my shoe.
I have a few pairs of jeans with half pockets. I have had to cut off the bottom of the pocket and sew it back up a little shorter.

It took me longer than I like to admit to realize that some as absent-minded as me should use a treat pouch and store it on the top shelf of the closet each and every time we come inside.

I still laugh every time I put my hand in my pocket and it only goes about halfway down.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My dog is a butter thief.

My mom likes to bake. She will often put a stick of butter out on the counter to soften so it is room temperature in the morning. A few weeks ago she asked me to stop putting the butter back in the fridge when I clean up the kitchen. I told her I don't put them away, I like her baking. I asked her how long this had been going on, she said on and off for a couple of months.

Seems my boy has been stealing butter off the counter and eating it, paper and all. I never saw any remnants. Now, mom leaves the butter on top of the microwave to soften. It has not disappeared since.

·
Registered
Vigo the GSD & Rooney the Mastiff mix
97 Posts
I don’t know if this story fits here because I honestly wouldn’t have known better until it happened, but, I used to have an Akita/GSD mix named Tatanka. He was pretty good about hanging out by himself whenever I’d leave the house. However I soon realized he would counter surf while I was away because I’d come home to a house full of shredded paper towels. I started storing the paper towels in a cupboard, and I made sure to never leave food out. Well one night I came home pretty late and Tanka very excitedly greeted me with a large kitchen knife. He was holding it by the handle and looked like the happiest serial killer to ever exist :ROFLMAO:
the knife was dirty in the kitchen sink, so that was a new area I had to make sure was clear before leaving the house!

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Wood Fawn

somehow no dog mouths were harmed in this incident! I snapped a picture because I never wanted to forget how crazy it was coming home to that, lol

·
Registered
32,373 Posts
I have these great dogs with awesome recall. And then I stopped to get gas, and my almost 12 year old bitch got out of the back seat to keep my seat warm. She wouldn't go back the way she came, so I opened the door for her and then opened the back door to get her back up and in where she belonged. Only her 3 year old daughter popped right out of the car -- main street in Jefferson, on Halloween and there were people and dogs and costumes and suddenly both of my dogs were out there and trying to get themselves killed. I got them back and in the car, but it wasn't pretty. It isn't even that they wouldn't come. It was that they wouldn't load up. Bear is just not loading well anymore because she is old, and the 3 year old is just hard to hang onto when you are trying to boost a big bitch up into the seat. For some reason she did not want to go in before her dam. Mostly just embarrassing. At home, (out in the country), or at my friend's house (on the mountain) there is just nothing but getting in the car. But in town getting into the car suddenly becomes more interesting. They are not robots. They are still great dogs with awesome recall though. And this is generally why I like to take one dog at a time.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was taking a NW class with my first GSD Finn. The class was in a warehouse and the instructor had put some ring gates across part of the room so the dogs could be let into the search area to search on their own without their handlers. The instructor always made and brought these tuna treats that all the dogs loved, and had a container of them on a table on the other side of the gates. I set Finn loose in the search area, closed the gate, and stepped back. His head came up and he walked over to a section of the ring gate across from the table, then popped over the probably 3.5 foot gate in a beautiful jump, without any hesitation, and went over to the tuna treats container. We all burst out laughing and he got his treats for such a beautiful jump and creative problem solving.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts

My mom likes to bake. She will often put a stick of butter out on the counter to soften so it is room temperature in the morning. A few weeks ago she asked me to stop putting the butter back in the fridge when I clean up the kitchen. I told her I don't put them away, I like her baking. I asked her how long this had been going on, she said on and off for a couple of months.

Seems my boy has been stealing butter off the counter and eating it, paper and all. I never saw any remnants. Now, mom leaves the butter on top of the microwave to soften. It has not disappeared since.
Wow, you'd think that would make itself evident on the way out the back door, if you know what I mean :cool:

·
Registered
571 Posts

I’ve had to pull out the butter wrapper from my last boy’s butt. My brother and wife gave us the perfect gift that year - a covered butter dish lol.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A minute later, there's my female GSD beside me, she'd jumped out the window to follow me and just waited by the door until a customer left and she came in the open door. She just looked at me like "Hey you forgot me!"
A Golden I had when I was a teenager did something similar, but she just stepped on the automatic door opener at the grocery store.

·
Registered
829 Posts
We used to have Borzois along with GSD. Our male Borzoi was napping on the couch while a visiting friend was eating a bowl of Mac and cheese. Phone rings (this was before we all had cell phones) so he gets up to answer the phone, leaving the bowl on the coffee table, first checking to make sure the dog was still asleep.

Comes back, dog still seems to be sleeping, bowl still on the coffee table, but doesn't seem quite as full as before. Decides it must be fine and starts eating again.

Then he glances at the dog and sees a single noodle stuck on the end of the dog's nose. Clever dog.

Had a couple of young GSD's a few or maybe several years back now. I had just bought a 20 pound bag of safflower seeds for the birds and left it in a downstairs hallway.

Went outside to do a few chores I didn't want the pup's help with and came back to find those little seeds all over the first floor of the house. They must have dragged that bag everywhere until it was empty and for years afterward I was still finding them.

Had a mixed breed that found himself a new friend and brought it to show me. He had a full grown possum hanging out all around his mouth. The possum was totally stiff and I knew it had to be dead. So I told the dog to drop it and he gently set it down.

Took the dogs inside while I got ready to dispose of the poor possum. By the time I got back outside, the possum was gone!

Didn't realize how well they played possum, even to the extent of being so stiff. I'm always learning something new from my dogs.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I'd have my coffee and yogurt in front of my computer on the weekend, and when I was done I'd leave the spoon in the container and put it in the cup, so it wouldn't tip over.
I have plain yogurt with fresh fruit nearly every morning. When I get up to go to the bathroom/shower, my cat cleans the bowl for me! I almost never catch him in the act, either. I just notice that the bowl is really clean and shiny when I come back.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
I don’t know if this story fits here because I honestly wouldn’t have known better until it happened, but, I used to have an Akita/GSD mix named Tatanka. He was pretty good about hanging out by himself whenever I’d leave the house. However I soon realized he would counter surf while I was away because I’d come home to a house full of shredded paper towels. I started storing the paper towels in a cupboard, and I made sure to never leave food out. Well one night I came home pretty late and Tanka very excitedly greeted me with a large kitchen knife. He was holding it by the handle and looked like the happiest serial killer to ever exist :ROFLMAO:
the knife was dirty in the kitchen sink, so that was a new area I had to make sure was clear before leaving the house!

View attachment 580437

somehow no dog mouths were harmed in this incident! I snapped a picture because I never wanted to forget how crazy it was coming home to that, lol
Halo: "Hold my beer."

I miss that bad dog.

Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Herding dog

21 - 40 of 67 Posts