German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Administrator
9,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recent mention of a torn rug and devoured leftovers, along with the 100% obedience thread got me thinking…. I think we can all use some comedic relief (even if you weren’t laughing in the moment) and reminders that we’re all human and our dogs aren’t perfect.

So, share your “I should have known better” moments. No comments, questions or explanations - just stories and hopefully some 😳 but mostly 🤣 reactions.

Mine… crossing a parking lot with Keystone on a flexi in one hand, coffee in the other, with my dog trainer friend and her dog also on a flexi, in the presence of ground squirrels 😬

My knee has finally healed 😔

Next…..

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
851 Posts
Years ago with a pitti mix sitting around a campfire, dog suddenly charges into the dark and I grab the nylon leash. Resulted in rope burned fingers and dead racoon. I knew not to grab a nylon rope because you will get rope burns, but in the moment I still did it.

Now only leather leashes

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Throwing a ball as a reward for a successful track, only to find the tracking line was wrapped around my ankle...fortunately, neither of us was hurt, though I did get yanked off my feet.

Oh, and trying to teach my headstrong young rescue that she still needed to obey me when she was off leash, playing with my room mate's dog... I attached a 30 ft. length of sash cord to her collar, thinking that would be enough to stop her when she bolted after the other dog...

When she hit the end of the line, I did a complete forward somersault. I spent the next week or so with bandaids on most of my fingers. I still have a small scar on one of my fingers as a reminder of my stupidity.

Leaving Star in a motel room while I went to eat dinner, and forgetting about the treats I had in my jacket pocket. Bye, bye pocket!

I've owned numerous dogs since I got my first one around 1985. I'm sure there's lots more I could add to this post! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Having company over for dinner. I was thawing a 16 pack of chicken thighs on the counter. I'm back in the bedroom and I hear my male Great Dane, and my female Doberman growling at each other, I'm thinking what the heck, they get along so well, why are they growling. I go into the kitchen, and my chicken thighs are on the floor, both of them having a good old time. The Dane had never counter surfed before, I figured the Dobie put him up to it.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Another really good one: I baked a layer cake for one of my step-son's birthdays. I put one layer in the cupboard to cool, and left the other one well back on the counter, thinking it would be safe there.

I came home from church to find the one on the counter was gone. :rolleyes: Yup, the entire layer!

Okay, so we will only have HALF a layer cake, then.

I halved the icing recipe, and cut the remaining layer in two. It looked quite nice when I was finished icing it.

After the birthday dinner and celebration, the boys helped me clear the table, and after they left, I watched some TV. I then decided I'd like to have another piece of cake, but I couldn't find it.

I called up one of the boys, and asked where they'd put the cake. "Oh, I left it on the counter," Kevin replied.

There was nothing on the counter but an empty plate with a few crumbs of chocolate cake and icing on it. Score another one for Star, my counter surfer, and dog with the cast-iron gut!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My mom cooked us pork chops last night. After eating we all went to bed. I’ve been sleeping upstairs and she was sleep on the couch since she had to go to work later that night. About an hour later I wake up to her calling my name. Apparently Bear had his front paws up on the kitchen counter trying to reach the last pork chop while Cion was mowing down one on the ground. There was 3 left so presumably one was already devoured. If there’s one thing about Bear, the combination of nose and stomach will always get him into something.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
When Neb was a year old, my family (husband, brother, my mom) took my mom out for dinner for Mother's Day. I'd been backpacking the weekend before and left my pack with extra 'in case of emergency' food in it out.

Get home, Luc's gotten into the pack and food bag (without tearing anything, I still don't know how he managed that). He'd eaten two packets of instant oatmeal, and a bag of dehydrated food, plus a bunch of solid fuel hexamine tablets (which in a desperate google rush, I found not be toxic for dogs).

So all of this had expanded in his stomach, and he'd thrown up EVERYWHERE. We get it all cleaned up, let Neb out of his crate. Neb, despite not having had an accident for months upon months, ran out and peed all over the carpet.

Happy Mother's Day to me!

·
Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
43 Posts
My niece's two wonderful GSD's produced a litter last spring, and every puppy was adopted by a family member. As such, we have GSD family reunions. Our first was last month, with the sire, dam, and five of the six puppies (five months old at the time) all in attendance. The dogs all romped in the yard for about an hour, then someone had the idea to go into the house. After all, our dogs are all well-mannered and obedient house dogs, right? Right...

Skye was the first to observe the long, slick wooden coffee table. With a running leap, she sprung onto it. With the dexterity of a figure skater, she gracefully slid to the end and fell to the floor. Athena was next, then Mia, then Blu. The result was a big puppy ball that merrily rolled across the floor and knocked over everything in its wake. Meanwhile, nestled comfortably on the couch, Ruger and Damon laughed to see such sport, and Ari ran away to the kitchen to carefully calculate the possibilities of trash diving and counter surfing.

Someday, these dogs will be older, and might contentedly lie at our feet while we enjoy conversation and dessert. In the meantime, I suspect future GSD family reunions will be confined to outdoor barbecues.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Wise idea! What shape was the table in after those antics?

I made the mistake of treating myself to a new coffee table shortly before adopting Eska. I should have just left my old thrift store table in the living room - she chewed the new one to pieces!! :'(

·
Registered
775 Posts
Bought a miniature Christmas cake at a bake sale and left it with my husbands keys/wallet etc. to take to his mom as a gift. Thought it was far enough back from the edge that Quinn couldn't reach it and anyway, he was my good boy who NEVER counter surfed. Well he did, I came back home to find the Saran Wrap only. The cake was full of brandy, raisins, currents, sugar so off to the emergency vet. One dose of Apo-morphine, another of charcoal, a lot of barf and $300 later we were on the way back home, lesson learned.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Beau knows he’s not allowed to eat cat food and he very rarely has access to it, but it does happen on occasion. I can usually tell he’s doing something naughty when he disappears and I don’t hear anything.

Doesn’t come when called? I go find him and he’s furiously gulping down the cat food because he knows I’m coming to stop him. He often starts gagging on it before I’m able to get him away. It’s only happened 2 or 3 times, but boy does he love the cat food.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Many moons ago, I baked a ginger cake. Whilst it was baking, I washed up all the utensils and when the cake was baked, I put it on the counter to cool down. I had to nip upstairs, and I had only been gone a couple of minutes, when I came down, the cake pan was empty and clean.

I was convinced that I did bake a cake, so I looked around and noticed my dog asleep under the table, I bent down and was greeted by doggy breath with a hint of ginger😂

·
Registered
474 Posts
Our girl Akela had an operation, and was on post-op pain meds. I thought I was supposed to give her a morning dose. So I did. Turned out my wife already had given her a dose. These were fairly powerful pain meds, so we got a panicked, contacted the emergency vet. They gave us solution more or less guaranteed to make dogs vomit. Akela lapped it up like it was chicken broth. Took her out on the yard, she sniffed and visited all the usual spots. Nuthin! Called the vet back. They said give it a little more time, works on just about every dog. Well, Akela must have had a cast iron stomach because neither the pain meds nor the solution which was supposed to make her barf had any seeming effect. She was at most a little sleepy/loopy.
Vet finally said let her sleep it off if need be, bring her in right away if any complications.

From that point on, my wife became the designated dispenser of medications.

·
Registered
594 Posts
As a young dog just under a year Apex grabbed a whole pot roast fresh out of the pressure cooker from the counter. We were standing around it. He was lightning fast. Darn roast was so hot he dropped it so fast. He never counter surfed again. Scared me I thought for sure his mouth would need medical treatment. He was only phased enough to never do it again.

Apex had been a very difficult journey for me. I am hard on myself for my inability. I keep trying.

I needed this thread.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
My brother and sister-in-law once made homemade egg nog in a hue crystal bowl for a Christmas part including tons of whole eggs, rum, peppermint and heavy cream. They left it on the basement floor in a locked room to stay cold while they popped out out to pick something up.

I guess the door wasn't locked as well as they thought since they came home to the door ajar, 4" of egg nog missing and a very sick/drunk dog that puked most of the night.

·
Registered
4,881 Posts
Just a note since I can relate to the rope burned hands above. I walk Rogan more on a long 20' flat line since our neighborhood coyotes are so active this Fall. I wasn't paying attention when Harley alerted to one 50 feet away in the woods and before I knew what was going on, he bolted after it which is no big deal since he recalls easily even in mid chase. But Rogan broke when heHarleyd and I didn't see him until he was 15 feet into full flight on the 20 ft line....110 pounds of purpose built amped up GSD about to tear my arm out of the socket.

No time (or room) to react before he hit the end of the line that I actually managed to have a decent hold of but he just kept on going with barely a pause. I thought he must have broken the plastic clip on his collar but no, he broke the substantial metal clip on the end of the leash. I was actually lucky since the end of that leash is wrapped around my hand.

Thankfully, I always wear those rubberized think work gloves with him now.

·
Registered
11,988 Posts
I took my 3 Whippets and mutt all loose in the back of my SUV like always without any issues. This time however to pick up a few bags of raw beef knuckle bones, placed on the back seat. On the way back a fight broke out because the leader dog was guarding the load. So put the boss on the front seat, which made for more relaxed driving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Traveling back home last thanksgiving after visiting mom out of town . She sent me home with some leftovers including a Cornish hen . Placed it on floor of front seat . Hendrix was traveling with me in the backseat. I stopped for gas and went inside used restroom room and came back and Hendrix was in the front seat and had tore the bag open and got to the Cornish hen and all i could do was laugh and call my mom 😂

1 - 20 of 66 Posts