German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
New here and looks like a useful friendly forum.

have some concerns regarding our dog opie tonight. As we know gsdare very sensitive and it took us a while to find something that settles his stomach. Currently use royal canin German shep version for pups and it’s worked great for the past 10 months. Opie is 10 months and best decision we’ve made.
Behaviour tonight worrying me. He’s threw up past few nights - yellow - guessing empty stomach. He’s currently sat opposite me and he’s exhausted but he is fighting on keeping his head up and pointing it up to ceiling....he’s breathing very heavy, not panting , internally heavy breathing. Not whining or yelping.
unsure what’s wrong or what to do
Second indoor picture is what he keeps doing right now and he’s so tired and won’t stop trying to stay awake

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If Opie was mine, I'd take him to the emergency vet, sorry, I know is early morning where you are. I hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
11,210 Posts
look at his gums - press on them,,,,,if they are pink, go pale and return to pink - that is pretty normal...if they are white, that is very bad....

the posture and behavior you describe are worrying.....I think at least contacting an emergency vet clinic is a good idea....I would not let him wait until morning..........things that are risky, that are common are bloat and torsion and foreign body obstruction.......please call the vet and probably, take him in

please let us know how he is and what is happening

Lee

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
Really sounds like bloat or some sort of obstruction.It's very serious and he needs a vet asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea we’re going to take him but he’s already took a turn for the better
give him a tiny bit of food incase his stomach being empty was causing the issue and pro biotic tablet.
He’s had a wee feed and He’s now out for the count ....dreaming ...and normal breathing.
We had recently cut his meals from 4 a day to twice a day. Might be part of the issue, yellow , egg like yolk sick usually means stomach acid = empty stomach?
now that he’s calmed and asleep I’m wondering should I let him snooze on and then take him or wake him and go

·
Registered
245 Posts
Phone the vet and describe in detail what condition the dog was in and what condition the dog's in now.

The vet should be able to say whether to bring the dog in now or later.

A phone call doesn't cost much.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Might still be worth a call to your vet to see if they have any ideas/advice. If it is a foreign body or bloat, symptoms can come and go and then get very serious very quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts