German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I moved into a new house and there are kids living here who I got to know, because they were out playing in the green and also have a dog.

My puppy is nearly 5 months and still "puppy bites" a good bit (although she is getting a lot softer), I have got most of the jumping up on people conditioned out of her, so to speak. I have great concern that she may jump up on these kids and possibly bite when excited. The kids were having great fun running around her....Can anyone advise what to do here?

She is mad to play with this new dog so it's impossible to keep her on leash; also, she deserves to get to play with this dog as I haven't had the opportunity to let her play with other dogs.

We have no obedience classes here like in America. I am attempting to get something going in my town. So far, I have put it on facebook but I might stick up posters around town.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
She is mad to play with this new dog so it's impossible to keep her on leash; also, she deserves to get to play with this dog as I haven't had the opportunity to let her play with other dogs.
Its not impossible to keep her on a leash... work every day on leash manners and skills... Keep her on leash in the house (its easier to get them use to it)... There is no other way to protect the children than having your pup on a leash... Just have her on a leash and even starting out a bit of a distance, try to keep her calm work on a focus command... get a little closer and probably within a week or so if you work on this everyday she should be able to meet the kids, make sure you get down to their level and keep her on a leash, if she goes to play bite give a correction, if she goes to jump again give a correction.

As for "she deserves to play with other dogs" well yes dog like to play with each other (some do anyway) but they dont just automatically "deserve it"... again on leash when she is calm introduce the dogs, keep working at it and she will learn that just because she is going ballistic doesnt mean she gets to play with the dogs, calmness lets her get to play with the dogs... If you let her play with a dog every time she is out of control your going to have a dog that as soon as she sees another dog she is going to go nuts because her reward every time before that was getting to play...

Hope this helps. Also added a picture of my pup she just turned 6 months and she is very calm and gentle around my 11 month old nephew and is still on leash most of the time around him because she still gets into a puppy play (which is very rare around him but still its a precaution, this is something Ive worked with since I brought her home).

·
Registered
263 Posts
With Draven what I did had the kids pet his back not his head, and I was always kneeling around his mouth and softly correcting bites before they happened.

Plus Draven has a real tummy scratch thing he'd just roll over and expose his belly and his legs would start twitching (Still happens)

And then all the kids could scratch his belly.

Draven LOVES kids right after dogs :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
mandiah is right, keep your pup on a leash and work on those leash manners. Even though our GSD is really on point these days, I still get nervous with her being around children just because of her size. I don't let strangers approach my dog anyways, and I really don't allow unknown children. It is not that I don't trust my dog, its that I don't know them and can't trust that they know how to behave around a big dog. Mine is going through bite training as well so I kind of default to the better safe than sorry methodology.

You will know when you can trust your dog completely, the hard part is dealing with other people, and their dogs. Sadly, mine really doesn't tolerate dogs charging up to her at all, either they have to slowly approach or not at all. Even if she was friendly with other dogs, considering the myriad of dog fights I've seen over the last few years I just don't mess with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts