German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is a typical day for me.

Bring the dog out for a good walk at half 8 in the morning (1hr). Feed her when I get home - she usually sleeps for an hour and a half. She wakes up with energy but I usually can't bring her out to play for a while until 1.

Usually, it's inside then, where she stays in the kitchen so there is usually alot going on. Then play again later and walk later at night.

I think she needs more stimulation but I don't know what to do. She can't seem to figure out the kong. A bone can keep her occupied for an hour and a half sometimes but I can't afford them everyday.

I often try to let her have the garden to herself with me having her under constant supervision while working in the kitchen looking out the window, she always goes away from the garden out to the front so I have to run out and bring her in then.

Any ideas? This problem is really wearing me down.

Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
German Shepherds are extremely active dogs and definitely need lots of exercise. How old is she? How many walks are you able to provide her with a day? How many hours of exercise are you able to provide her with a day? Have you thought about biking with her? Have you thought about building a good sized outside kennel for her? Does she like playing fetch and if so, how about playing fetch for 30-45 minutes a day? Have you thought about taking her hiking once or twice a week? Have you thought about building her a flirt pole? Have you thought about hiring a dog walker?

Have you tried filling up the Kong with something like cheese or peanut butter and then freezing it and after a few hours of freezing, taking it out and letting her have it? Have you tried whole raw pigs feet for bones (you can usually get a pack of four for around $1 and they last forever)?

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
This is what works for me when I can’t play with him but want to keep him entertained inside:

I take a plastic bottle. Remove the cap, safety ring and labeling (if glue is on container wash off the glue). Place a few treats inside and crush the top of the bottle so the treats roll around and make noise. This can keep him entertained for a while. He also likes the larger heavier plastic containers that he kicks around and chases.

Some baby toys are good as well. They follow stricter guidelines for paint and dyes and often safer than some dog toys. However, use common sense based on size and etc.

My puppy was entertained by door stoppers. He would paw it bark at it and sometimes play with them by himself. However, he has now managed to remove every door stopper he has found. I also use occasional bully sticks. Try a frozen twisted rag. Even though he has other chew toys lying around he generally doesn’t show interest in them unless I play with him using them. My puppy is also uninterested in Kongs.

When I play with him inside I use an improvised smaller flirt pole. I also have a long hallway that I can throw a ball/Frisbee. I use two identical balls and when he retrieves one I throw the other one. It’s quite funny he will run wide-open throttle inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts