German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 month old GSD, 75 lbs (down from about 80 a few weeks prior to surgery)

I had Ranger neutered 3 days ago, and he stayed at the clinic overnight. Somehow he managed to get his collar off while he was in the kennel that night and he ate about 2/3 of it. I'm not concerned about the collar itself, since it was made out of hemp. I am a little concerned about the plastic end that was on it and the half a AKC CAR tag that was missing. We are not even sure if he ate it, but the clinic staff couldn't find it, so...

He acted like a dog that had just been snipped Friday. He drank quite a bit of water, and then ate well that night. He acted much better yesterday, but didn't eat his dinner until about midnight. That's not unusual for him. Today he has acted out of character. He has paced frequently, and acted like he is restless. He has also panted a lot more than usual. He didn't eat his breakfast, but again, that's not unusual for him, especially since he decided to eat so late last night.

I have watched him pee a few times, and I searched the yard for the remnants of the collar. I didn't find anything that even looked fresh, though. He seemed to be in pain from the surgery to me, and I had some meloxicam, so I gave him 7.5mg. He is resting now. I haven't seen any signs of bloat or stomach/intestinal distress. He hasn't vomited, or heaved. I wasn't even that worried until I reached out to pet him a little while ago, and he dropped his ears, tucked his tail, and pulled back a little. He's never done that, but maybe it was a fluke.

Tell me if you guys think this is a situation of watchful waiting, or if I should scoop him up and go to the emergency clinic. He just doesn't seem distressed enough for that to me, but I am new to the breed. Thanks!

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Wait...he ate the collar while he was at the vet????

Make them take an xray!! It happened on THEIR watch!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait...he ate the collar while he was at the vet????

Make them take an xray!! It happened on THEIR watch!
It was at the local Humane Society spay/neuter clinic that we have supported for years. I had a appointment at his regular vet, but was talked into doing it there instead. I doubt they even have x-ray equipment.

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
Then I would call your regular vet right now to get his thoughts.

And let the HS know so they can change their policy on leaving collars on while kenneled.

Is he having bowel movements? If not, it could mean an obstruction from the collar. Or it could just be his system is slowed down from the anesthetic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly on either obstruction or anesthesia + less food than normal for a few days + pain meds. Regular vet is closed until tomorrow. Just can't decide if it would be a expensive over reaction to go to the emergency clinic for a dog that isn't in overt distress. To anyone else he would seem like a normal dog. To me, it seems like his behavior is slightly off.

·
Registered
32,424 Posts
It's what? 3pm your time? So about 17 hours till a vet opens? I'm not sure anyone can help you make that decision. He could just be sore from the surgery but there could be something wrong too. Many "could be's" I would watch him closely. Is he straining when he goes? Is he vomiting? Any signs of more than normal pain?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing that screams to me that he needs to be seen at this very moment. The only other symptom is his breath has been really bad since he came home Friday. The meloxicam seems to have helped the restlessness. Geez this is a tough one. I have a easier time making this kind of call with my kids.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Tail between legs and pulling back from sounds like he's in pain. If the vet gave you a medication schedule to follow with the meloxicam, stick to it so your pup doesn't get peaks of pain. You may want to confine him to a small area. Something has happened and I'd at least call the clinic or the E-vet with the information you gave here.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy was neutered last month. What you are describing is not normal. I would want an X-ray done & the incision site looked at. I would be very concerned about him eating that collar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Incision is fine and he's not distended. I don't think he is immediate danger. If he is no better in the AM I am taking him to the regular vet. If starts showing signs of distress i'll go to the emergency clinic tonight. He is wrestles again

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Restlessness is not a good sign. Three days after our dog was spayed and most recently after a extensive knee surgery she was not restless. She was pretty comfortable. Also after the knee surgery, our vet said to call if no BM after 3 days. Please at least call a professional.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Based on the size of the yard bomb he just dropped I would say that he's not obstructed. There were no signs of the collar though. He almost seems like he's getting spooked by the invisible man or something now.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Obstruction would usually present most obviously with vomiting and progress to a total absence of bowel movements. Just the general 'harrumph' after his neuter would be my bet. We're all hyper vigilant and scrutinizing after our pets have had something done out of the ordinary, be it a trip to the groomer, the day back after a kennel stay, a surgery or whathaveyou.

It is rather risky of the clinic to keep collars on their hospitalized pets. If you get the bee in your bonnet I'd call up and ask if that isn't perhaps something they might consider changing policy on; its a danger to other pets that might go through the facility, even if your pet is AOK.

I'd bet that your dog is watching you watching him and wondering why you're so antsy. If I were him I'd start to freak out about YOU freaking out! :p

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got back from the vet a little bit ago. He was tied up in surgeries all day, and Ranger was acting a little better anyway. Since he had a good movement yesterday, and after a checkup, the vet thinks it is a slight infection at the incision site. He had a slight fever and a little swelling. I've started his antibiotics and he ate good and had another BM, which had plenty of hemp strings and pieces of the plastic latch in it. If he has no GI symptoms by tomorrow afternoon then we should be in the clear.

Thanks for the responses.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts