German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im new to the site and i was looking to see if anyone could help my with my question. today i got a 2 month german shepherd from a family who is moving out of the country and couldn't take the dog with them, also their kids werent treating the dog right so the couple decided to sell him. I bought the puppy and brought him home. I dont know much about how he is supposed to behave in the first few days but something that has me concerned is he is whining and crying alot by the front door. He will lay by the door and calm down then all of the sudden start scratching at it and crying. im not sure how i should feel about this, any help or advice would be appreciated.

he was born on September 30th, he was living with the family before me for 2 weeks, if any other info is required let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It's normal he's in a new home away from his littermates and the family he lived with. Just work on playing with him, petting him, taking him wherever you go, and in a week or so he'll stop the whining and be fine:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks! im really trying to do all that and i hope it all works out. its just very sad to see him like that.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
He wants to go home poor baby. Just show him love and all will be fine . 2-3 Days he won't be whining any more. good luck

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
If you haven't done so already, please get a vet check done. Do you have any records if he has already been to the vet/vaccinations?
Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol This schedule is what I would recommend for vaccinations taken from this informative site: HEMOPET.HTM
your pup should be kept from other strange dogs and places where dogs frequent until he has his 2nd set of boosters. Carry him at the vet too.
This link may be of help in understanding what your pup is going thru and what to do to help him get thru his developing stages:
Developmental Stages
I would also get him a crate, he'll feel safe in there after he gets use to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks and many thanks for the quick and helpful responses, i feel a lot better already. and about the vet, yes i have everything set and planned out for him, I've been doing alot of preparing and planing for this. thanks and thanks again!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Does he need to go potty?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does he need to go potty?

LOL I was thinking the same thing. With the pup being almost 3 months old, perhps it's been potty trained?

I wish my Nuhkia would scratch and whine, all she does and run to the door and set there looking at it. I assume she's waiting for it to open on it's own. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hes doing much better now, not crying by the door anymore and actually playing and acting more like a puppy. He is still a little nervous around other people, but i think with more time he will adjust more, its only been 2 days. I considered it being the potty issue but i was told that he would look for newspaper, so i layied out some for him but he doesnt really seem to want to recognize it, but we are working on that as much as we can. thanks everyone!

·
Registered
311 Posts
hes doing much better now, not crying by the door anymore and actually playing and acting more like a puppy. He is still a little nervous around other people, but i think with more time he will adjust more, its only been 2 days. I considered it being the potty issue but i was told that he would look for newspaper, so i layied out some for him but he doesnt really seem to want to recognize it, but we are working on that as much as we can. thanks everyone!
my experience, do not teach him to go potty on newspaper, you are just teaching him its ok to potty inside your home. I would recognize the scratching as having to go outside weather or not he does. If he is scratching at the door (even if he doesn't have to go ) you have a head start already. I would let him out every time he scratches , eventually he will go , then you can praise praise praise!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts