German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
740 Posts
Well, work blocks the video, but I'll just say that personally I am a heeling fanatic! I start as young as possible and lure train heeling for what seems like forever (just ask Samba! lol).

The way I see heeling, it is the most important. If you compete, whether in SchH, AKC Obed, AKC Rally, whatever you will always start off right if your heeling is great. Heeling is focus and attention between the two of you. It is dancing. It is fun and sets the mood for the rest of the event (imo). So, I find it the most important but with how I train it, it takes forever to be trial-ready. So of course I start as young as possible.

I totally believe in muscle memory and have taught some really cute prancing in heel by luring for so long at a certain pace/speed to get the prancing. But back on subject..

I know what you mean about a lot of dogs out there heeling well, but having no other behaviors. I have to check myself sometimes to make sure that I'm not doing that too! Why? Well heeling takes a while to train (imo). Heeling is fun to train (what's better than that attention while heeling!?) and most dogs love doing it (so much more fun than boring/controled "stays"). Besides, IMO (again lol) the rest of the stuff (sit, stand, down, stay, come) is pretty quickly and easily learned *:shrug:*

I'm looking forward to getting off work and getting to see your video in the morning! :)

· Registered
740 Posts
True. Heeling can be showy. I like it showy. Why? Because it looks good. My dog is correct and having fun! It KILLS me to watch what I call "hang-dog heeling". It's like nails on a chalkboard. Ech.

I agree that stays (down and sit - I do mostly AKC Obed btw) are the other key componant. I never enter a trial if I am not confident on the stays for the exact reason (great run but blows the stays = not qualifying).

This brings me back to... Ok yes, Stays = very important. Heeling is also important. THE most important thing though? My dog wanting to work with me :)

So, I start training heeling first. Have lots of fun with it then work on the stoic control exercises that are realitively quick to train compared to heeling.

That is something about competitions (SchH/AKC/Whatever)... I do believe they have made the requirements such that you cant pass any of them without a total package approach of training. Sure heeling isn't going to get you by if you don't have stay. But your stays wont get you by if you don't have your heeling either ;)

Oh! So the video isn't of straight-line or Heeling exercise, but of the "Finish" (go to heel position from sitting in front?). Still looking forward to seeing it when I get home :)

· Registered
740 Posts
Oh you tease LOL! I so wish it was 7am so I was heading home and watching these videos before heading off to training 100 miles away at 8am! lol

I am sure that you and Indra are doing great :) Keep it up and have fun! :D

· Registered
740 Posts
Finally I got to watch! Looks great! Only caution I have is on your straight-line heeling (the video at the court) be careful with your left shoulder. You are pushing her back when you drop your left shoulder to look back at her :)

Great training! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.