German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else ever here things some people say about dogs and think "that's so completely ridiculous I can't believe your even thinking about getting a dog"

I've had a few of those moments today. one was when I was talking to someone I knew and she was asking me all about Ares because she is thinking about getting a dog. I started telling her all about his training and she said "O I can just pay someone to do that for me" and when I tried to explain how important it is to bond with your dog through training she just said she wasn't bothered by it. I was thinking "THEN WHY DO YOU WANT TO BOTHER WITH A DOG" I recommended she get an older dog as she has never taken care of any pets in her whole life and she started with the "o no I HAVE to get a puppy or else it won't be like I want it" Now I was already thinking this conversation could not get any worse until she said "and if it doesn't do what I want I can just get another one and try again" :eek:
I told her its people like her why so many good dogs are in shelters and she got all pissed off at me.

A little while later I was talking to Ares' breeder and she told me one of the puppies from her most recent litter had been returned because the owner was "broken by the puppy phase" and wanted the breeder to hold her puppy until it was house trained and could behave himself :eek:
she had all these excuses why she couldn't handle a puppy but it all amounted to a bunch of BS in my opinion
This was the email I sent her back:

....my completely biased, slightly judgmental opinion on dumping a puppy so someone doesn't have to deal with the anguish that is "Puppy hood"

Puppies are cute, but they generally suck. They need to be taken out to pee all the time even at night time and even if its raining. If they don't get enough exercise they will be impossible to deal with inside a house, this is ESPECIALLY true for a GSD puppy. They poo and pee in the house and most of the time it's not their fault, I couldn't tell you the number of times Ares told us he had to potty and went on the carpet because we didn't realize until to late. Just house training them is bad enough but with a puppy (again, especially a GSD landshark puppy) you have to constantly be training them for everything else at the same time. They have to be socialized, learn generally doggie manners, and how to behave in a home according to that specific home's rules. It SUCKS.
Even thought this is possibly the most difficult time of owning a puppy it is also the most rewarding. This is the time when the bond that will last the puppy’s entire life is formed. What they learn during this horrific period in their lives will be the base for everything they learn in their lives. If you scare a 4-3 month old puppy with a clown mask, that puppy could lean to be afraid of clowns or even angry/aggressive towards them as he gets older. Its funny (sort of) if it’s a clown but suppose a child frightens or hurts the puppy then you end up with a 90lbs child aggressive dog. Its up to the owner to both expose the puppy to new experiences and protect them from negative experiences. It can be difficult to balance both.
Through training the owner and puppy form their bond, with Ares we spent so much time with him as a puppy (he was probably never alone for the first 4months of his life) I’m confident he looks to us as leaders and protectors in his life. All the time spent praising him for doing the right thing or comforting him when he hurt himself or correcting him when he did something wrong has been so valuable in our training classes. Someone would have to be crazy to want to give all this up just because having a puppy is hard.
Also, between Jeremy and me, we can tell you anything about Ares. I can tell his “I’m scared and need help” bark from his “this is funny” bark and we can practically tell what he’s thinking by his expression and what he’s doing with his ears. I can tell you what he likes to eat, what time he usually poos every morning and when he’s faking a limp to get attention. I know about every time he’s been sick or injured in his life, if anything makes him nervous or scared. I can easily say he’s not great with kids because he’s never had the chance to interact with the and generally knocks them down. I know if he’s having and ‘off’ day and what I can do to perk him up. And that is knowledge that every person who has the chance should know about their dog.
When we got Ares, we were in the process of moving, had to temporarily live with my parents, I was moving between two jobs and had no income for a month, and it was generally incredibly stressful and I can easily say having an 11 week old puppy to care for was not making anything any easier. If I had a dollar for every time Jeremy and I said we couldn’t handle Ares anymore and we’re calling you to give him back then I would be a millionaire. Every time he pooped in the house or woke up at 2am or bit one of us while he was playing it was the “last straw.” But we would forget about it every time he looked at us with his brown eyes and big, floppy ears.
You should tell E to reconsider not training Cade herself, she’s really missing out on the pain in the ass that is the joys of puppyhood.

Was that enough of a little rant?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Does anyone else ever here things some people say about dogs and think "that's so completely ridiculous I can't believe your even thinking about getting a dog"
Everyday I ask the question when I look across the street. Our neighbors got a Great Dane this summer, a puppy. Neither the wife or husband has ever owned a dog before. It sits in a kennel in the backyard and gets taken out for an hour or so at night to play. It's never allowed in the house. More than once the husband has asked me to work with him & train him (and I'm just your average dog owner!) because they don't have the time. Then why did they get him?
Yet they think we are nuts having two dogs in the house. "What about all that hair?" "But the puppy isn't housetrained yet, is it?" "I would never get up in the middle of the night to let a dog out, thats why he's outside".
But yet, their puppy (which is now larger than my Golden) is out of control and my dogs are well behaved (the puppy as much as a puppy can be at this point :) ).

I loved your rant, btw :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
The more I own dogs the more I'm amazed how little other people know!

Starting with the vast majority people thinking the only place to get a purebred dog is at a petstore....and that if you have an AKC registered dog that guarantees it will have great health and temperament.....then the fact you just can pay initially thousands of dollars for dog/equipment/food and then think the puppy will just sit there and behave like a fish in a fishbowl (no additional time or money or lifestyle change for ME!)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Kittlicious, it really gets on my nerves when people get dogs then either ignore them or get rid of them when they don't turn out perfect because they put zero effort in to training. socializing etc.

and no Emoore luckily I missed him, I mean I won't claim to know much about breeding but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard

I'm so happy you guys seem to agree for a second there I was thinking I was the crazy one :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts