German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to take my two oldest in for complete phsycials but this year I want the vet to do more. I really want my two to be examed, blood to be taken and anything else that needs to be done. I'm thinking not only could this prove to prevent problems early but it would also give us baseline numbers which could be used for comparision if there were problems in the future. Can anyone give me tips on tests that I should make sure they run? Also my dogs teeth and gums look great (likely better than my own) but is there any preventative care I should ask for with their teeth/gums?
The two dogs I'm talking about are Shiloh, age five and Shoshona age four.
Any suggestions you can give me will be appreciated. I just don't feel like a quick check of the heart, listen to the lungs and looking at the ears is doing enough for their annual exams anymore.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I'd ask the vet that question.

What do you know about their hips? Just a thought, not a suggestion.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I have never done this as an annual thing with any of our dogs, but some tests to think about asking the vet about
-CBC (complete blood count)
-TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels
-blood chemistries (BMP in humans not sure what it is called for dogs) as well as liver function blood tests
-a urinalysis
-fecal (i just got an email to have a fecal flotation test done on Allie, have never done this before)

For senior dogs I have heard of chest x-rays and EKG's are a to do as well. Again, have never done this.

So, just some things I thought of. But, just talk to your vet about your concerns. I am not sure how often most vets do these things annually or how much they cost.

I would just have them look at the teeth and gums of course, and then advise you from there.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll be sure to bring these suggestions up to my vet. Like I mentioned, I just want more done this year than the quick look see we usually get. Thankfully, my dogs all seems to be in perfect health I'm thinking things could show up in blood tests that wouldn't be apparent for years if you just wait for physical reactions.
As far as the x-rays, I think we are ok with that. I know for the hips you have to sedate the dog-I'm not big on that unless their teeth needed to be done at the same time. All parents involved have passed OFA standards and so far there doesn't appear to be any cause for concern. But thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
For senior dogs I have heard of chest x-rays and EKG's are a to do as well.
Wow, an EKG! Do they get their cholesterol checked, too?

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL...I already plan on asking about their cholesterol

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
For the younger Hooligans I let the vet decide which tests, if any, she wants to do.

For the two remaining senior Hooligans, I take them in twice a year for a complete physical including bloodwork and anything else the vet wants to do with them. For their appointment last week all she wanted was the bloodtests which they both passed (Kel's ALT values had dropped to 191 which is high but so much better than it had been). For past appointments she's done additional lab work, x-rays, ultrasounds and other tests she felt was necessary to keep them chugging along.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts