German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall My name is Carol. We just adopted our "old man" from the shelter yesterday. He's AMAZING! His name is Thanos and is aprox 5 years old. He absolutely loves my kids (there are 6 kids!) He also has 2 other dogs to play with and they all play so nice (I have a 70# Am Bully and a 20# Havenese. We have 3 cats that he ignores completely. Although my one kitten loves to try and snuggle him. Im pretty sure his favorite is the ferret. he likes to lay on his back while the ferret jumps all over him. He also likes to scoot him across the floor haha! ANyways. We actually dont know too much about him other than he was found a stray. The shelter only had him 10 days. However I believe we got so lucky with him!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
He looks very smart in that third pic!

We adopted our dog at age 5 too. He has been a calm well-behaved family member. :)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Hi Carol, welcome to the forum! Congratulations on finding such a well behaved dog! I think you got very lucky with him, enjoy!

·
Registered
32,210 Posts
He is beautiful and welcome to the site.

Congratulations on your new addition. It sounds like a good fit all around.

I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but I just want as a caution, that anytime a dog changes his residence, he goes through a period of change. It is a little longer for mature dogs, than it is for puppies. It begins with a kind of honeymoon, where many dogs will seem to be extra-special good. It's not something the dogs control, it is probably because the dog is shocked and trying to feel his way around the new environment.

Once the dog relaxes, the dog may exhibit behaviors that aren't so good. You mention the ferret crawling on him. Some things you can't take back. with one bite, your GSD could cause your ferret to be injured to the point of death, and you don't want your kids to see that.

This is hard. I just want for you to be careful with the dog and go slow. Treat him as a new puppy in that with a new puppy, we ask ourselves, will this behavior be cute when he is 80 pounds? No? Then let's not let the 12 pound puppy jump on us, or pull our hair, or whatever the house rules are. So whatever behaviors you want or don't want, start from the get-go.

He looks like a fun dog and like he is going to provide so much for your family.

Reactions: Nigel
1 - 4 of 4 Posts