German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
What is really cool in the videos is the upbeat nature of the trainer! Great examples of how it "should" be done! Keep it fun, keep it upbeat, training should always be fun for the dog when they're young!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Jax8,
The third video is almost identical to how I taught my current dog heeling. Hand positioning with the food is very correct, the pup has learned to push into the hand/food, spins for engagement and to help reset the dog back into heeling, backward walking/heeling for in motion exercises, etc. The only difference for me was I taught the dog to come to a static heel while facing me doing a service/flip finish first. I also always used a leash and used opposition reflex to teach the service finish and used the prong until recently to be able to correct any head dropping. I also would do some one or two steps of heeling and stop and not just heel for a number of paces. Now I just use the e-collar and no leash to maintain precision. There are so many little things that people can do wrong that prevents the dog from heeling correctly.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Jax8,
The third video is almost identical to how I taught my current dog heeling. Hand positioning with the food is very correct, the pup has learned to push into the hand/food, spins for engagement and to help reset the dog back into heeling, backward walking/heeling for in motion exercises, etc. The only difference for me was I taught the dog to come to a static heel while facing me doing a service/flip finish first. I also always used a leash and used opposition reflex to teach the service finish and used the prong until recently to be able to correct any head dropping. I also would do some one or two steps of heeling and stop and not just heel for a number of paces. Now I just use the e-collar and no leash to maintain precision. There are so many little things that people can do wrong that prevents the dog from heeling correctly.

Looks like I’m headed in the right direction. I have been working more in the “finish” station heel position than the movement at this point. Although we do a little of each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
Notice in the video where the handler is holding her hand with the food. It is about where the outside seam of a pair of pants would be and at the right height , which is correct and teaches the dog the correct position for his head and chest. You can also tell she worked on teaching the pup to push into the food and then up and into the food. This is why you need a pup with good food drive and later, good prey drive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Notice in the video where the handler is holding her hand with the food. It is about where the outside seam of a pair of pants would be and at the right height , which is correct and teaches the dog the correct position for his head and chest. You can also tell she worked on teaching the pup to push into the food and then up and into the food. This is why you need a pup with good food drive and later, good prey drive.

Larry krohn also mentions this in his videos. I’ve been focusing more on me and less on her. I know that if I do the right lures she will catch on. If that makes sense lol

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Jax8,
The third video is almost identical to how I taught my current dog heeling. Hand positioning with the food is very correct,
Well - she is a national level competitor and competed at the world seiger show with two different dogs. She knows a little. :wink2:

·
Registered
831 Posts
Larry krohn also mentions this in his videos. I’ve been focusing more on me and less on her. I know that if I do the right lures she will catch on. If that makes sense lol
It makes more than sense. It is the essence of dog training. The vast majority of problems with a good dog stem from handlers errors in the foundation work. The other issue in protection sports is that you have to have a very skilled decoy to bring your dog to his genetic potential, and to me, that is a major problem in the U.S. If you have to travel hours to train, it becomes a burden or you can't go enough to make the progress you want to see. People have lives outside of their dogs and if a whole weekend is taken up by travel and training, it really isn't practical or fun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It makes more than sense. It is the essence of dog training. The vast majority of problems with a good dog stem from handlers errors in the foundation work. The other issue in protection sports is that you have to have a very skilled decoy to bring your dog to his genetic potential, and to me, that is a major problem in the U.S. If you have to travel hours to train, it becomes a burden or you can't go enough to make the progress you want to see. People have lives outside of their dogs and if a whole weekend is taken up by travel and training, it really isn't practical or fun.

Yeah...I think we have one schutzhund club in 100mi radius.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
"very skilled decoy to bring your dog to his genetic potential"

Amen to this. Not a decoy that works one system and can only work one type of dog. But a decoy that works the dog in front of them to bring out their genetic potential.

And foundation is everything. From obedience to tracking to protection. You can't unteach something.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts