German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,679 Posts
My dogs have never been that interested in babies. My daughter-in-law came to stay with us the last few months of her pregnancy. My dogs got more and more interested in her as her belly grew. Did they smell different hormones? Did they hear two hear beats? Now that the baby is here my female is vigilant from a distance. I suspect it is because my male has taken on the role of guardian and protector. But he is a big clumsy uncle and it has frustrates him that we insist that he keeps a respectful distance. That means far enough away that there will be no scratching with his big paw, or no tripping of the mother.
Mom and baby will be returning home soon. It has been amazing how focused he is on the infant. He loves to sit and watch and if he naps it is nearby. I make sure to give my big-boy breaks with free time out in the yard and the baby upstairs with mom.

and congrats!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
congrats!!! I can assure you that baby is WAY more protected/watched than anyone else in that house ;)
Thanks! We'll have to manage their interactions and get Grendel more exposure / discipline to keep everybody safe & happy. But that's what we hoped for and we couldn't be happier.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My dogs have never been that interested in babies. My daughter-in-law came to stay with us the last few months of her pregnancy. My dogs got more and more interested in her as her belly grew. Did they smell different hormones? Did they hear two hear beats? Now that the baby is here my female is vigilant from a distance. I suspect it is because my male has taken on the role of guardian and protector. But he is a big clumsy uncle and it has frustrates him that we insist that he keeps a respectful distance. That means far enough away that there will be no scratching with his big paw, or no tripping of the mother.
Mom and baby will be returning home soon. It has been amazing how focused he is on the infant. He loves to sit and watch and if he naps it is nearby. I make sure to give my big-boy breaks with free time out in the yard and the baby upstairs with mom.

and congrats!
Our female gets very upset when he cries and does keep an eye on him but it's from a distance like yours, part of that is our male is like yours "the guardian" also she's big and clumsy and can't be trusted around him right now and gets underfoot.

Our male is effortlessly athletic and gentle so he can be trusted to stay closer. It helps he has little kitty-kat feet compared to a GSDs bear paws.

ETA: I wonder if they can hear the heartbeats, hadn't thought about that. I know they can smell the hormone changes though for sure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My wife and I are expecting early next year and our male dog Grendel has gotten obsessed with my wife. Sticks to her like glue.

We typically commute together so most days we obviously get home at the same time, and he’s been barreling out of the crate like it’s on fire to find her. He’ll knock me out of the way if I don’t move. And heaven forbid we go in separate cars, he’s all bent out of shape searching the entire house and yard looking for her.

when we go on walks, if there’s somebody he doesn’t like the looks of he moves between her and the stranger.

He was never like this before, he’s the dog I’m doing Schutzhund with so we’ve spent a ton of time together, 100% my dog.

and our female Millie is exactly the opposite! Far closer with me than the wife and that was 100% her dog.

Anybody else experienced this? Did it change after your child was born? What was the dogs reaction to the child?
i nrvrtblikrd this behavior as I felt it could lead to possiblly protecting at the wrong timeI trained Schutzhund for many years before gravitating to police dog training. my big GSD dog watched over the two boys like they were his master. If they were fighting or playing rough in the back yard and my wife would step out on the deck and yell at them to play nice he would come and stand like a centurion with the kids we had many disputes about this as my wife was scared of the dog. I used to have friends and neighbors over to meet and greet the kids. I was always right ther but not commanding. This worked to let the neighbors enter the yard. I also took the kids to the training fields. I changed many diapers on the tailgate of the old station wagon. I also had the kids walk with me and the dog in obedience training. They were on leashes too When required. When the dog got suspicious as known helper and bad guys approached I acted friendly with the kids. Some times the dog would look at me like”are you sure this is ok.” Then I would let the helpers walk the kids around the dog. What we were doing was using the dog’s setting ability and his native intelligence to create “safe thing or situations. I begged my wife to come and participate in this game but she hated the sport sooooyou van see the issues. This is a very touchy area as you are working with instincts that have been changed and you are trying to modify others. Without being right there to help I can only suggest that you talk to your trainer and see what he/ she thinks. Of the situations did a lot of this differential training with the K9 dogs. The advantage of well bred GSD shows up here. I had a lot of this being observant of the dog pounded into me very early on. I have an Aussie now and have my hands full with her and personal medical issues. She is protective but has not had any real direction along this line there are many other things I must do with her at the moment. More later.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts