German Shepherds Forum banner

Common for male dog to be obsessive/protective of pregnant owner??

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Tennessee 
#1 ·
My wife and I are expecting early next year and our male dog Grendel has gotten obsessed with my wife. Sticks to her like glue.

We typically commute together so most days we obviously get home at the same time, and he’s been barreling out of the crate like it’s on fire to find her. He’ll knock me out of the way if I don’t move. And heaven forbid we go in separate cars, he’s all bent out of shape searching the entire house and yard looking for her.

when we go on walks, if there’s somebody he doesn’t like the looks of he moves between her and the stranger.

He was never like this before, he’s the dog I’m doing Schutzhund with so we’ve spent a ton of time together, 100% my dog.

and our female Millie is exactly the opposite! Far closer with me than the wife and that was 100% her dog.

Anybody else experienced this? Did it change after your child was born? What was the dogs reaction to the child?

Reactions: hirakawa199006
#2 · (Edited)
I haven't experienced it first hand, but had a friend whose dog acted that way with his wife.

In their case, their dog decided immediately that the kid, once she arrived, was his to protect. He'd lay with his paws touching the babies blanket on the floor, and vehemently defend that space from anyone he didn't know and trust!

Flip forward a few years, that family ran a day care out of their home. The dog protected all the kids the same way, but was always sweet with the kids themselves.

And notably, this is a dog who showed concerning, prey-like behaviors with little kids when he was a youngster! Time, exposure, and training...the key to nearly all behavioral issues IMHO.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS! I admire your courage! Babies are awesome, but your life dude will never be the same EVER AGAIN! LOL! Okay, maybe I'm overplaying it a bit, but it does change...for the better ?

#3 ·
I haven't experienced it first hand, but had a friend whose dog acted this way with his wife.

In their case, their dog decided immediately that the kid, once she arrived, was his to protect. He'd lay with his paws touching the babies blanket on the floor, and vehemently defend that space from anyone he didn't know and trust!

Flip forward a few years, that family ran a day care out of their home. The dog protected all the kids the same way, but was always sweet with the kids themselves.

And notably, this is a dog who showed concerning, prey-like behaviors with little kids when he was a youngster! Time, exposure, and training...the key to nearly all behavioral issues IMHO.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS! I admire your courage! Babies are awesome, but your life dude will never be the same EVER AGAIN! LOL! Okay, maybe I'm overplaying it a bit, but it does change...for the better ?
It almost sounds like the "protect the herd" heritage in this pup (aren't they all pups?!) is coming out. I've always seen this behavior more from the female doggos we've had/rescued over the years, however i have also seen our male bully step up once before.

x2 on the congratulations! Your life wont be the same EVER again! But it will ALWAYS be for the good! I had a status a couple years ago on the book of faces that will help you know what you are in for.. "have kids they said.. it's fun they said.. THEY never said you wouldn't poop alone EVER AGAIN!" hehe Being a "dog dad" is amazing, but never compares when that little one looks at you in the eyes and says "Da-da" that first time!

#4 ·
Not exactly the same but my rescue is the most relaxed dog you’ll ever meet. Lays around, cuddles, never barks. Just wants to be pet and rubbed. He accompanied us most places. However, if my girlfriend takes him out and I am not there, he will cut off a stranger before they reach her. No lunging or anything, just a fair warning as if to say “ok you’re close enough, stay there”. Never does it with me around. It’s like they know their jobs! Anyway, I like that she can take him anywhere and feel safe. Hope you see the same value in the behavior! Of course there is a fine line between too much and just enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
My male rottie was pretty obsessive over my pregnancy. The ex worked third shift and so the dog would sleep in the bed with me. He was fond of spooning. And then he stopped and it corresponded with my pregnancy. He was forever next to the bed now, and I couldn't roll over without him waking up and putting his head on the bed and just watching me until I fell asleep again. (Yeah, that got creepy after awhile -- you are waking up and open your eyes and he is nose to nose just watching already...) Never left my side. When my daughter was born she belonged to HIM. And his vigil transferred to her. He had never been around kids before.

#10 ·
Thats so sweet, you got the real life Good Dog Carl! hopefully mine will be the same! Nothing would make me happier than having him helping keep my son safe.

ETA: could you describe your Rotties personality a little bit for me?

#6 ·
I love the name Grendel. We have two male dogs. I didn't necessarily notice their behavior changing during my pregnancies, but they are both my dogs and favored me to begin with. My husband tolerates and even likes the GSDs, but isn't really an animal-person. We spent a lot of time training before the babies were born (because we knew we'd be busy), and our GSDs were great with the babies. The kids are now 2 and 4 years old. Of course, we supervise all dog and kid interactions, and teach the children how to behave appropriately around the dogs. I seperate kids and dogs when it makes sense to do so (if the kids are super-amped up, at meal times, ect).

Congratulations on your baby news! That is very exciting!

#9 ·
I love the name Grendel. We have two male dogs. I didn't necessarily notice their behavior changing during my pregnancies, but they are both my dogs and favored me to begin with. My husband tolerates and even likes the GSDs, but isn't really an animal-person. We spent a lot of time training before the babies were born (because we knew we'd be busy), and our GSDs were great with the babies. The kids are now 2 and 4 years old. Of course, we supervise all dog and kid interactions, and teach the children how to behave appropriately around the dogs. I seperate kids and dogs when it makes sense to do so (if the kids are super-amped up, at meal times, ect).

Congratulations on your baby news! That is very exciting!
Thank you, he’s named for my favorite gun cartridge but he’s a monster and now a momma’s boy so it fits better than intended. Haha

Thanks for the advice, we’re going to have to be proactive to keep everyone safe and happy.

Reactions: sebrench
#11 ·
I think if your dog has natural protective instincts you will see it come out and may Or may not be just because your wife is pregnant though or It is often with his entire family but one person in particular especially is his person. Sounds like it’s your wife that may or may not change after pregnancy. Max kind of reminds of like a dog attached to my soul he follows me around- he is not hyper or nervous or has separation issues either just a job he seemingly took on to watch over me. Congrats on the baby on the way! Get all the sleep you can now!

#16 ·
@Hellish
@tim_s_adams

Grendel adores “HIS baby” :giggle:

Back to normal being my dog more than the wife’s.
Dog Canidae Head Ear Dog breed
Child Baby Canidae Italian greyhound Nap

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks! We'll have to manage their interactions and get Grendel more exposure / discipline to keep everybody safe & happy. But that's what we hoped for and we couldn't be happier.

#22 ·
My dogs have never been that interested in babies. My daughter-in-law came to stay with us the last few months of her pregnancy. My dogs got more and more interested in her as her belly grew. Did they smell different hormones? Did they hear two hear beats? Now that the baby is here my female is vigilant from a distance. I suspect it is because my male has taken on the role of guardian and protector. But he is a big clumsy uncle and it has frustrates him that we insist that he keeps a respectful distance. That means far enough away that there will be no scratching with his big paw, or no tripping of the mother.
Mom and baby will be returning home soon. It has been amazing how focused he is on the infant. He loves to sit and watch and if he naps it is nearby. I make sure to give my big-boy breaks with free time out in the yard and the baby upstairs with mom.

and congrats!

#25 ·
My dogs have never been that interested in babies. My daughter-in-law came to stay with us the last few months of her pregnancy. My dogs got more and more interested in her as her belly grew. Did they smell different hormones? Did they hear two hear beats? Now that the baby is here my female is vigilant from a distance. I suspect it is because my male has taken on the role of guardian and protector. But he is a big clumsy uncle and it has frustrates him that we insist that he keeps a respectful distance. That means far enough away that there will be no scratching with his big paw, or no tripping of the mother.
Mom and baby will be returning home soon. It has been amazing how focused he is on the infant. He loves to sit and watch and if he naps it is nearby. I make sure to give my big-boy breaks with free time out in the yard and the baby upstairs with mom.

and congrats!
Our female gets very upset when he cries and does keep an eye on him but it's from a distance like yours, part of that is our male is like yours "the guardian" also she's big and clumsy and can't be trusted around him right now and gets underfoot.

Our male is effortlessly athletic and gentle so he can be trusted to stay closer. It helps he has little kitty-kat feet compared to a GSDs bear paws.

ETA: I wonder if they can hear the heartbeats, hadn't thought about that. I know they can smell the hormone changes though for sure.

Reactions: car2ner
#26 ·
i nrvrtblikrd this behavior as I felt it could lead to possiblly protecting at the wrong timeI trained Schutzhund for many years before gravitating to police dog training. my big GSD dog watched over the two boys like they were his master. If they were fighting or playing rough in the back yard and my wife would step out on the deck and yell at them to play nice he would come and stand like a centurion with the kids we had many disputes about this as my wife was scared of the dog. I used to have friends and neighbors over to meet and greet the kids. I was always right ther but not commanding. This worked to let the neighbors enter the yard. I also took the kids to the training fields. I changed many diapers on the tailgate of the old station wagon. I also had the kids walk with me and the dog in obedience training. They were on leashes too When required. When the dog got suspicious as known helper and bad guys approached I acted friendly with the kids. Some times the dog would look at me like”are you sure this is ok.” Then I would let the helpers walk the kids around the dog. What we were doing was using the dog’s setting ability and his native intelligence to create “safe thing or situations. I begged my wife to come and participate in this game but she hated the sport sooooyou van see the issues. This is a very touchy area as you are working with instincts that have been changed and you are trying to modify others. Without being right there to help I can only suggest that you talk to your trainer and see what he/ she thinks. Of the situations did a lot of this differential training with the K9 dogs. The advantage of well bred GSD shows up here. I had a lot of this being observant of the dog pounded into me very early on. I have an Aussie now and have my hands full with her and personal medical issues. She is protective but has not had any real direction along this line there are many other things I must do with her at the moment. More later.

#27 ·
@Bentwings1

I swear your posts are like a computer data dump. I gotta sit there and process for awhile to pick up everything you said.
More time spent training dogs than I've been alive crammed into a paragraph.
It's how I imagine Hemingway would explain fishing LOL.

Thank you for sharing, I do have concerns about him. He's a sensitive boy and stupid eager to please, so I don't have too many concerns with our family / around the house. He's not the type to come up the leash, more likely to get all bent out of shape and shut down. When it's time to work and he's amped or perceives a threat, the elite KNPV in his blood comes out and he gets seriously angry. Even as a puppy he'd get, what I can only describe as, visibly angry at a perceived threat. (I'm trying to convey it's not reactionary or fearful. It's more pure rage that you would dare test him.) He's very intense sometimes to say the least. When the Corona threat dies down, his tail will be at the trainers getting worked and learning about when it's time to bite and when it's not.

I'll reread your post a couple times and work on incorporating what training I can at home and out and about. Wife fortunately adores him and supports me in training and obedience. No sabotage behind my back or any of that nonsense I see on here sometimes. Steadiness is unfortunately not his strong suit, so I may have my work cut out for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.