German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are expecting early next year and our male dog Grendel has gotten obsessed with my wife. Sticks to her like glue.

We typically commute together so most days we obviously get home at the same time, and he’s been barreling out of the crate like it’s on fire to find her. He’ll knock me out of the way if I don’t move. And heaven forbid we go in separate cars, he’s all bent out of shape searching the entire house and yard looking for her.

when we go on walks, if there’s somebody he doesn’t like the looks of he moves between her and the stranger.

He was never like this before, he’s the dog I’m doing Schutzhund with so we’ve spent a ton of time together, 100% my dog.

and our female Millie is exactly the opposite! Far closer with me than the wife and that was 100% her dog.

Anybody else experienced this? Did it change after your child was born? What was the dogs reaction to the child?

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I haven't experienced it first hand, but had a friend whose dog acted that way with his wife.

In their case, their dog decided immediately that the kid, once she arrived, was his to protect. He'd lay with his paws touching the babies blanket on the floor, and vehemently defend that space from anyone he didn't know and trust!

Flip forward a few years, that family ran a day care out of their home. The dog protected all the kids the same way, but was always sweet with the kids themselves.

And notably, this is a dog who showed concerning, prey-like behaviors with little kids when he was a youngster! Time, exposure, and training...the key to nearly all behavioral issues IMHO.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS! I admire your courage! Babies are awesome, but your life dude will never be the same EVER AGAIN! LOL! Okay, maybe I'm overplaying it a bit, but it does change...for the better 😊

·
Registered
68 Posts
I haven't experienced it first hand, but had a friend whose dog acted this way with his wife.

In their case, their dog decided immediately that the kid, once she arrived, was his to protect. He'd lay with his paws touching the babies blanket on the floor, and vehemently defend that space from anyone he didn't know and trust!

Flip forward a few years, that family ran a day care out of their home. The dog protected all the kids the same way, but was always sweet with the kids themselves.

And notably, this is a dog who showed concerning, prey-like behaviors with little kids when he was a youngster! Time, exposure, and training...the key to nearly all behavioral issues IMHO.

ETA: CONGRATULATIONS! I admire your courage! Babies are awesome, but your life dude will never be the same EVER AGAIN! LOL! Okay, maybe I'm overplaying it a bit, but it does change...for the better 😊
It almost sounds like the "protect the herd" heritage in this pup (aren't they all pups?!) is coming out. I've always seen this behavior more from the female doggos we've had/rescued over the years, however i have also seen our male bully step up once before.

x2 on the congratulations! Your life wont be the same EVER again! But it will ALWAYS be for the good! I had a status a couple years ago on the book of faces that will help you know what you are in for.. "have kids they said.. it's fun they said.. THEY never said you wouldn't poop alone EVER AGAIN!" hehe Being a "dog dad" is amazing, but never compares when that little one looks at you in the eyes and says "Da-da" that first time!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Not exactly the same but my rescue is the most relaxed dog you’ll ever meet. Lays around, cuddles, never barks. Just wants to be pet and rubbed. He accompanied us most places. However, if my girlfriend takes him out and I am not there, he will cut off a stranger before they reach her. No lunging or anything, just a fair warning as if to say “ok you’re close enough, stay there”. Never does it with me around. It’s like they know their jobs! Anyway, I like that she can take him anywhere and feel safe. Hope you see the same value in the behavior! Of course there is a fine line between too much and just enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
My male rottie was pretty obsessive over my pregnancy. The ex worked third shift and so the dog would sleep in the bed with me. He was fond of spooning. And then he stopped and it corresponded with my pregnancy. He was forever next to the bed now, and I couldn't roll over without him waking up and putting his head on the bed and just watching me until I fell asleep again. (Yeah, that got creepy after awhile -- you are waking up and open your eyes and he is nose to nose just watching already...) Never left my side. When my daughter was born she belonged to HIM. And his vigil transferred to her. He had never been around kids before.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I love the name Grendel. We have two male dogs. I didn't necessarily notice their behavior changing during my pregnancies, but they are both my dogs and favored me to begin with. My husband tolerates and even likes the GSDs, but isn't really an animal-person. We spent a lot of time training before the babies were born (because we knew we'd be busy), and our GSDs were great with the babies. The kids are now 2 and 4 years old. Of course, we supervise all dog and kid interactions, and teach the children how to behave appropriately around the dogs. I seperate kids and dogs when it makes sense to do so (if the kids are super-amped up, at meal times, ect).

Congratulations on your baby news! That is very exciting!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't experienced it first hand, but had a friend whose dog acted this way with his wife.

Thanks so much for sharing Tim & thank you for the kind words. We're both very excited to meet him.

I thought that might be the case, but you never know with these things. Grendel has also been known to show concerning predator like behavior towards... well he's a Mal so literally every living creature that moves. Lol

He's surprisingly good with other dogs though, if they don't try to dominate him. Very gentle with my MIL's little chihuahua.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It almost sounds like the "protect the herd" heritage in this pup (aren't they all pups?!) is coming out. I've always seen this behavior more from the female doggos we've had/rescued over the years, however i have also seen our male bully step up once before.

x2 on the congratulations! Your life wont be the same EVER again! But it will ALWAYS be for the good! I had a status a couple years ago on the book of faces that will help you know what you are in for.. "have kids they said.. it's fun they said.. THEY never said you wouldn't poop alone EVER AGAIN!" hehe Being a "dog dad" is amazing, but never compares when that little one looks at you in the eyes and says "Da-da" that first time!
Like you mentioned I’ve heard of females being like this not so much males, which is why I asked.
He’s a sensitive dog though, also not a GSD which tend to be more steady than Mals.

Anyways, thank you. We’re very excited.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the name Grendel. We have two male dogs. I didn't necessarily notice their behavior changing during my pregnancies, but they are both my dogs and favored me to begin with. My husband tolerates and even likes the GSDs, but isn't really an animal-person. We spent a lot of time training before the babies were born (because we knew we'd be busy), and our GSDs were great with the babies. The kids are now 2 and 4 years old. Of course, we supervise all dog and kid interactions, and teach the children how to behave appropriately around the dogs. I seperate kids and dogs when it makes sense to do so (if the kids are super-amped up, at meal times, ect).

Congratulations on your baby news! That is very exciting!
Thank you, he’s named for my favorite gun cartridge but he’s a monster and now a momma’s boy so it fits better than intended. Haha

Thanks for the advice, we’re going to have to be proactive to keep everyone safe and happy.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My male rottie was pretty obsessive over my pregnancy. The ex worked third shift and so the dog would sleep in the bed with me. He was fond of spooning. And then he stopped and it corresponded with my pregnancy. He was forever next to the bed now, and I couldn't roll over without him waking up and putting his head on the bed and just watching me until I fell asleep again. (Yeah, that got creepy after awhile -- you are waking up and open your eyes and he is nose to nose just watching already...) Never left my side. When my daughter was born she belonged to HIM. And his vigil transferred to her. He had never been around kids before.
Thats so sweet, you got the real life Good Dog Carl! hopefully mine will be the same! Nothing would make me happier than having him helping keep my son safe.

ETA: could you describe your Rotties personality a little bit for me?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I think if your dog has natural protective instincts you will see it come out and may Or may not be just because your wife is pregnant though or It is often with his entire family but one person in particular especially is his person. Sounds like it’s your wife that may or may not change after pregnancy. Max kind of reminds of like a dog attached to my soul he follows me around- he is not hyper or nervous or has separation issues either just a job he seemingly took on to watch over me. Congrats on the baby on the way! Get all the sleep you can now!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing Tim & thank you for the kind words. We're both very excited to meet him.

I thought that might be the case, but you never know with these things. Grendel has also been known to show concerning predator like behavior towards... well he's a Mal so literally every living creature that moves. Lol

He's surprisingly good with other dogs though, if they don't try to dominate him. Very gentle with my MIL's little chihuahua.
Since your dog has shown some prey-like interest in small children, I strongly suggest acclimating him by taking him out to parks with playgrounds to get him used to them. Just sit with him at some distance away and let him watch. I did that with the dog I mentioned, and he got over his fascination pretty quickly.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thats so sweet, you got the real life Good Dog Carl! hopefully mine will be the same! Nothing would make me happier than having him helping keep my son safe.

ETA: could you describe your Rotties personality a little bit for me?
We had many of the Good Dog Carl board books and I still buy them for my daughter as they are released. She is 23 now.

As for his personality - he was mellow. Rock steady nerves in any situation. He was a watcher and a slow, deliberate thinker. All his toys had names. You could ask for the green ball. If he couldnt find it, he would think thru and fetch a different ball - but never a bone or stuffed toy when a ball was asked for. He wanted a job and was a velcro dog. He would bring in cord wood with you or planks or whatever you were moving. He was a lover and was always just leaning against you. Other people were to be greeted, tolerated, but not fawned over. He was the dog that drove home for me the importance of the genetics and temperament behind the dog - that it was nature and not all just nurture that made the animal. He grew up with a female rottie pup from a different breeder. Same environment, same handling and raising. And she was his opposite in temperament. Luckily brother in law moved out with her long before I was pregnant. That dog was a menace all its life.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had many of the Good Dog Carl board books and I still buy them for my daughter as they are released. She is 23 now.

As for his personality - he was mellow. Rock steady nerves in any situation. He was a watcher and a slow, deliberate thinker. All his toys had names. You could ask for the green ball. If he couldnt find it, he would think thru and fetch a different ball - but never a bone or stuffed toy when a ball was asked for. He wanted a job and was a velcro dog. He would bring in cord wood with you or planks or whatever you were moving. He was a lover and was always just leaning against you. Other people were to be greeted, tolerated, but not fawned over. He was the dog that drove home for me the importance of the genetics and temperament behind the dog - that it was nature and not all just nurture that made the animal. He grew up with a female rottie pup from a different breeder. Same environment, same handling and raising. And she was his opposite in temperament. Luckily brother in law moved out with her long before I was pregnant. That dog was a menace all its life.
Haha, that’s great you’re still doing that, they’re great books I’ve got several for my son. Wife and I both had them as kids, gotta continue the tradition. I’m sure your daughter will really appreciate it when she has her own to read them to.

Thank you for sharing. I’m sorry he’s gone, but glad for the time you got to spend with him.

I see a lot of similarities with my pup, velcro dog, lovey & needy with family, not a fan of strangers, must have a job doesn’t matter what it is (so eager to please he gets really upset if he can’t figure out what I want him to do).

Funnily enough while I knew just how important genetics were, he’s also the dog that drove that point home for me. Even as a 10 week old puppy he was aggressive & dominant in a way my GSD never will be, doesn’t matter what I do. (To clarify I mean, he’s what I wanted for Schutzhund that could also be a family dog. Not out of control).

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
double post

1 - 15 of 15 Posts