German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, it's bonus time, so i'm looking to expand my dog library

of my dogs - both shelter dogs, though i got luc through a rescue. luc was in a shelter for 3 years, teagan for 3.5 weeks. luc has underexposure issues (shocking, i know) and is easily nervous though i've been able to work through a lot of that by being a strong leader and handling interactions for him. he's actually developed into a really happy, goofy dog who grins all the time and loves to meet people who might want to pet him. teagan i've been posting about more recently, she has some aggression issues, with dogs, sometimes people, is showing signs of territoriality in our new house (working on that!) and has a high prey drive.

when the snow is gone, i'd like to start tracking for fun w/both dogs. so i'm looking at books for that, and then books on body language/dog behaviour/aggression issues.

from amazon, these are books i found as possibilities - comments on them, or suggestions for others would be appreciated.

Tracking Dog: Theory and Methods Glen R. Johnson
Fun Nosework for Dogs: Teach Your Dog to Enjoy His Nose Roy Hunter

Canine Body Language: A Photographic Guide: Interpreting the Native Language of the Domestic Dog Brenda Aloff
(I looked at her book on aggressive dogs and it's selling used for $107!!! Ouch)
Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships With Dogs Suzanne Clothier
How to Right a Dog Gone Wrong: A Road Map for Rehabilitating Aggressive Dogs Pamela Dennison
Bringing Light to Shadow: A Dog Trainer's Diary Pamela Dennison
On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals Turid Ruugas

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I've read/looked through the Canine Body Language book. Our trainer loves this author. It's pretty cool. It was a lot for me to pick up on but I did gain some insight into some body posturing that I didn't realize was going on. I think that's a book you need to have so you can refer back to often vs. just borrowing it.

I just ordered a few books last night from Amazon and one of them was On Talking Terms with Dogs. I also bought Scardey Dog. It talked about dealing with a reactive dog. I'm currently reading The Other End of the Leash which a lot of people on this site love but I'm not all the way through it just yet.

Lu

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have the other end of the leash, am almost done it. i started reading it a little over half way through, finished, than moved onto the start. for some reason. but it's been great.

on talking terms w/dogs looks good. i'd really like to understand as much as i can about body language, and signals being sent. having the two dogs is actually helpful w/that, b/c sometimes i just watch them play and interact and i can see being excited, being submissive, sending calming signals, etc.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I loved The Other End of the Leash. I also loved Stanley Coren's book "How Dogs Think". If you are interested in tracking, you could check out "Scent and the Scenting Dog". I just finished that one. Its only short.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wonder why that didn't come up when i searched tracking. i guess i needed 'scenting'

so it was good for a beginner? thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
From what I am told, it is a must read for trackers. All our police K9 guys have to read it.

It is basically what scent/odor is broken down. What affects it, where it lands, how long it lasts, where the wind may take it, etc. It goes through the different types of tracking, ie, tracking, trailing and air scenting. It isn't a how to book, it helps you to understand the scent.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that sounds really interesting though - thanks!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Can anyone tell me more about "On talking terms with dogs" by Turid Ruugas?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Originally Posted By: DanniCan anyone tell me more about "On talking terms with dogs" by Turid Ruugas?
And if there is much of a difference in the first and second editions...

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Or the cautious canine by Patricia McConnell? I believe its from 1998

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Danni, I have both of these books but I haven't started reading them yet. I'll post back once I'm done!

Lu

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
On Talking Terms is terrific! The video is good, as well.

Canine Body Language - Have that. LOVE IT! Very helpful for gaining better understanding into dog speak.

Tracking Dog - Have that. Must have.
But I really enjoy "Enthusiastic Tracking". As a beginner, it really breaks things down. It is AKC style tracking.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks angela!

the books have been shipped to me, so i'm excited about that. i figure i'll end up expanding my library on tracking as well.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Brenda Aloff's books are excellent!
Bones Would Rain is also very good and I need to read it again.

I find it humorous that the only books I ever re-read are dog books!

I think one of my favorite tracking books has become Novice Nosework by Ed Presnall, available from http://www.pawmark.com It is very short and uncomplicated. I have Enthusiastic Tracking also and it is good but I find the aging and the food and the track length to be complicated for a beginner that is just looking to have fun. But it is a good tracking book as well.

I also like the Audile Nose by Judi Adler. It is a big book and pricey but the information it contains is good and it is easy to read. It is also available from Pawmark.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
excellent! i'm really looking forward to reading them.

i'd never even heard of pawmark before!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I buy all my tracking stuff from Pawmark and I like that he is no nonsense and his information is relevant.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've been going around the site, it looks good!

....and he has pot belly pig harnesses! i've always wanted to move somewhere pigs were allowed.....off-topic i know, but *sigh*

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Thanks! I started reading The Dog Listener a couple night ago. Also bought For the Love of a Dog and Other end of the leash.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Danni- You're going to like The Other End of the Leash and you'll love For the Love of a Dog. Just got done reading both of them and they are great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts