German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I have enough homemade stock to start my own soup kitchen. I hate throwing away good things. Every chicken cooked I put the necks and organs in a baggie and dropped them in the freezer. I had 6-8 baggies of chicken parts. Same with turkey parts. I raw feed but Ziva doesn't tolerate anything with feathers. Had hoped to find someone that could use them for their dog. Then I had a 15 lb turkey from Thanksgiving 2018 and a 13 lb from 2019. I said heck I don't want to throw all this out so I defrosted the turkeys. I knew the one from last fall was still good but the one from 2018 was going to be questionable. Turns out it was a smidge tougher but tasted just fine. Anyway a put 2 chicken frames from rotisserie chickens I had in the freezer and all the chicken neck and organs in the stock pot with onion, carrot, celery, fresh herbs etc. Simmered it for 12 hours and came away with 7 quarts of wonderful tastyness. After portioning and cooling I popped it in the freezer. Making space I discovered I already 9 quarts of chicken/turkey stock.
Two days later after my turkeys thawed I spatch cocked them and in the oven they went. I took all the necks and organ and the two backs and got them going in the crockpot. Cooked for about 15 hrs. 4 quarts of turkey stock. So I'm up to 20 quarts of stock.
I deboned all the turkey and portioned it for turkey pies and croquettes to be made later and froze those. Have portions for soup and sliced for whatever comes to mind in the freezer as well. We've had two turkey meals already. And I now have 2 cooked turkey frames for making more stock. LOL! Soup anyone?

·
Super Moderator
32,230 Posts
I've managed to only bake two batches of cookies since all this began, but I just saved several more cookie recipes to my Pinterest page so I have a feeling there will be more coming. Ghirardelli and Guittard chocolate are two of our customers, and we got some chocolate chips from each of them recently as a thank you for rush orders. The first bag was milk chocolate, which is not my favorite, I much prefer semi-sweet chips and dark chocolate. So I found a chocolate chip shortbread cookie recipe online that I thought would work well - shortbread is rich but not usually that sweet, and milk chocolate is on the sweet side so it seemed like a good pairing. They were amazing! So I made them again, this time with the semi-sweet chips, and they were even more amazing. Ugh. Now I'm on a cookie baking kick, lol.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I honestly haven't been baking much for quite some time. Trying to be lower carb and I'm gluten sensitive. GF replacement flours are expensive and tend to be full of rice flour which is yukky to me. I can only do so much with almond/nut flours with decent results that meet my fussy tastes.
I do however cook a lot as a general rule. I make DH meals for work. He eats breakfast and lunch at work. Lunches are easy. Nice salads or leftovers from dinner meals. Breakfasts are work. About every 1.5-2 weeks I spend 1/2 day making breakfast foods and clean up. I precook bacon and sausage. I make a batch of low carb GF pancakes from scratch. I make low carb GF waffles from scratch. Then I make either individual omelettes with various fillings or a couple different frittatas.
I can easily go through 2.5 dozen eggs. Everything has to be prefrozen on sheet trays then packaged up and kept in the freezer.
I make my own salad dressing, cheese sauces and bbq sauces.
Love mushrooms but don't care for canned and fresh don't keep long. So I buy lots and saute them up, freeze on trays, bag'em up and always have them when I want them. Which is often.
Since this started I've made a 12 lb brisket, corned beef, turkeys,ribs and a whole lot of general meals. Oh I've made mushroom stock too! More stock...lol!
I do a lot of meal prep. If I'm going through the trouble to make a meatloaf (yes we like meatloaf) I make 2 or 3, cook one and freeze the others raw and ready to go for when I'm feeling lazy. I premake burger patties and taco seasoned meat.
When I make ribs I make 3 or more racks and freeze up the extras. Seems silly to make one rack that takes hours. Do that with a good amount recipes. Yeah....I have freezers. Glad I have the space for them.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts