German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
Sweets and Lasagna my biggest comfort food. East and light and fairly healthy yogurt pie - any flavor yogurt with cool whip to make creamier and thicker in a graham cracker pie crust with or without added fruit. Yogurt can be used to make a great chicken curry sauce, I love fresh raviolis. I never made homemade pasta raviolis but had them once or twice and will never forget it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
We've been cooking recipes that require longer times. Beef brisket, ribs, homemade pasta sauce/gravy, etc. Also breads that require longer rising times.

Good time to use your smoker if you have one or to slow cook in clay or cast iron.
Ohhhh, that sounds so good! I'm so jealous! I live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow charcoal grills or smokers😭 I need to try the clay. How do you do it and what do you use for it? I do have a cast iron skillet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I actually did the brisket in the oven as it was raining and I didn't want to deal with it outside. Season both sides with spices (your choice and there are many recipes) then 350 degrees in baking pan with foil uncovered for 1 hour. Pour in beef stock so it's about a .5 to 1 inch depending on meat height. Cover with foil, then drop temperature to 300 for 4 hours.

The clay pot you can get anywhere from Walmart to Williams Sonoma. They have oval ones and round ones. This one is from Pampered Chef. Fits a chicken with potatoes, mini tomatoes and carrots on the bottom. As you cook in them they stain/season.

·
Registered
118 Posts
For pasta and bell peppers: cut the bell peppers (red and or yellow) so that they are flat and put them on a cookie sheet with foil on it and cook them in the broiler until the top of them are blackened and blistered then peel them.

Combine 3 tablespoons of olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl then add a bit of salt and pepper and how many cloves of garlic you want in there. Then add the peeled roasted bell peppers in the mix. Then boil the pasta and after it's done mix the sauce in with the pasta, and eat it😀

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had to wear real clothes for the first time in weeks. They still fit. So I had a sandwich.
What are real clothes? I dropped dinner off for a neighbor who was battling cancer and can’t cook. She came to the door while I stood 10’ back on her sidewalk. She was in comfortable loose pajamas. Said she hadn’t gotten fully dressed in weeks.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
What are real clothes? I dropped dinner off for a neighbor who was battling cancer and can’t cook. She came to the door while I stood 10’ back on her sidewalk. She was in comfortable loose pajamas. Said she hadn’t gotten fully dressed in weeks.
Your neighbor is my soul sister.

I change into a new pair of Columbia Anytime Pants and a new tshirt every day. My coworkers are like "oohhhh maybe we can go back!" I'm like "No. Just No. For all the reasons. ".

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
I'm dying for a Mona Lisa sandwich from CTB. It's turkey, swiss cheese, raspberry jalapeno jelly panini. I think I can make it. I just need a recipe for the rasp. jal. jelly and a panini thingy machine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm dying for a Mona Lisa sandwich from CTB. It's turkey, swiss cheese, raspberry jalapeno jelly panini. I think I can make it. I just need a recipe for the rasp. jal. jelly and a panini thingy machine.
Can you flip your waffle iron plates? Some can do that. Or just use the waffle sides. Worth a shot.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
been rotating a pair of jeans, sweats and leggings.
i haven’t done laundry since March, and neither basket is full yet.
i’ve gone as long and my clean sheet supply would allow me.
sigh.

edit: ooops, thought this was the corona thread.... ok, food... anyone making popovers!? mmmmm

·
Registered
226 Posts
Waffle irons. You are funny.
Ok. Heat up 2 metal dog dishes in the bonfire. Put the sandwich on the flat bottom side of a flipped one. Then put flat bottom side of other dog dish on top. Use oven mitts and/or bite sleeve when cooking.

Does that work with the supplies you have??? :p

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You can use a another pan as a "panini press", if you have one of those bacon press you can use that too! I like mozzarella, tomato and basil pesto for a panini, and the same with a little deli meat! I've even read you can use a foil wrapped brick as a press!
On the brisket, just wondered if anyone had ever used a crock pot or baking bag? Would it turn out ok?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
On the waffle iron you can use those for quite a bit of stuff! Grill cheese, cookie dough, tortilla and cheese, canned biscuit dough with filling, stuff that would bake, trial and error on cook time!

·
Super Moderator
32,230 Posts
On the brisket, just wondered if anyone had ever used a crock pot or baking bag? Would it turn out ok?
You can totally use a crock pot. Braising is braising, the only difference is that you'd probably need less liquid since it's not going to evaporate as much (you could also pour out the liquid at the end and boil it down to reduce while the meat rests), and you'd need to cook it longer. As a general rule if I'm converting a dish to a slow cooker, it's about twice as long on high as it would be on the stove or in the oven, or four times as long on low. You may need to experiment with timing but that usually works for the recipes I've tried it with.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I make paninis in a big skillet like grilled cheese. They don’t have the grill marks but they taste very good. You can even make fresh panini bread.

You need yeast and dry milk but you may be able to find a sourdough starter recipe.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
been rotating a pair of jeans, sweats and leggings.
i haven’t done laundry since March, and neither basket is full yet.
i’ve gone as long and my clean sheet supply would allow me.
sigh.

edit: ooops, thought this was the corona thread.... ok, food... anyone making popovers!? mmmmm

It’s the food version of the Corona thread, and we need to be comfortable while we eat comfort food. I went two months without doing laundry because my dryer is broken and I didn’t want to visit the laundromat. Then I decided to rig up a clothesline and I have an instant dryer. Who knew? I felt like a pioneer. It was a lot of laundry and towelsl I won’t wait that long again.

·
Registered
31,348 Posts
Ok. Heat up 2 metal dog dishes in the bonfire. Put the sandwich on the flat bottom side of a flipped one. Then put flat bottom side of other dog dish on top. Use oven mitts and/or bite sleeve when cooking.

Does that work with the supplies you have??? :p
Yes! I even have bowls with rims that give me grill marks!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts