German Shepherds Forum banner

Come here!

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Jax08 
#1 ·
When I call Kali, 15 mo, she always comes... but never comes all the way to me. She always stops about 15 ft away and goes "down"... and I usually have to walk and meet her on her terms, lol. So far, she's been pretty set on her ways. Suggestions? :confused:

#2 ·
Yes, reward her with food, right next to your body so she has to come all the way to you to get it.

#4 ·
Definitely try something tastier, and what was suggested in our puppy classes was to come up with something they ONLY get for recalls. What kind of treats have you tried?

Is she toy motivated? Will she retrieve a ball or frisbee?

#5 ·
She has pretty good prey drive and loves playing fetch, but she does the same things with the ball when we play fetch! She only brings the ball 90% of the way. She listens when I tell her "off" and drops the ball.... but again, she doesn't come all the way and I have to walk up to her to pick up the ball...lol

#7 ·
She has pretty good prey drive and loves playing fetch, but she does the same things with the ball when we play fetch! She only brings the ball 90% of the way. She listens when I tell her "off" and drops the ball.... but again, she doesn't come all the way and I have to walk up to her to pick up the ball...lol
Well don't! If she doesn't bring the ball all the way back, game over. It sounds like she knows she doesn't have to, that you'll continue the game anyway.

#6 ·
I am having the SAME problem....!!!! We are a work in progress. I have been telling Jake no when he drops the ball far away and looks at me, then I tell him"get the ball" and "good boy" when he picks the ball back up and heads closer to me, then I start backing up making silly noises and encouraging him......we aren't there yet but baby steps! LOL! I hope that he begins to see that I will not let the ball be "active" unless he brings it to me. Like I said he was only coming 60% but now it's like 75% or 80%.
GOOD LUCK!

#15 ·
Stosh loves string cheese and beef crunchies that I make. The recipe, which is really just baking pieces of stew meat until they're almost dry- he loves those! I was going to suggest reeling her in on a long line too or running away. We practice sitting right in front of me, almost toe to toe and when I have him come, that's where he's supposed to sit to get his treat.

#17 ·
Turkey dogs did the trick. Still working on it, but she's definitely making improvements. Kali comes, but it take a few times to call her. I'll continue to work on it and hopefully it'll only take once. Thanks for the help everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.