German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new GSD has discovered the flower pots on the patio. She loves noisey toys and apparently the pots make a pleasing crinkling noise when she gets them and takes them out into the yard. I don't want to discourage her from entertaining herself, but I would like for her to leave the flower pots alonr too. She takes them when no one is around and has secreted them in her toy hiding place along with her other yard toys. We have introduced a fairly large number of different toys and make sure to play with her with different toys every time. I currently spend about an hour after her breakfast and an hour after her dinner playing fetch and retrieve games, but it doesn't really seem to be enough. I have COPD and am confined to a wheel chair so a long walk is currently out of the question until I get a scooter or mobility chair. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because she is a wonderful little companion already and has a lot of character and personality that we want to encourage and not diminish. TIA for any suggestions anybody has to offer

·
Registered
482 Posts
Do things that challenge her mind. Since you have limited mobility, try hiding snacks around the yard for her to search out and find. I use hotdogs chopped up into pieces they have enough scent that he can find them.

Another option is to hire a dog walker. Kids are out of school now, find some high school kid to start walking her (one that is responsible enough and has the size / ability to handle her)

Obedience, challenge that mind beyond sit / down / etc. Roll over, shake, back up, etc. Get you a drink out of the fridge, finding toys by their name, and things that can assist you on a daily basis. Also may want to look into getting her a harness and teaching her to pull you in your chair. Would be great exercise for her and also provide the exercise she needs to tire her out. Start slow with the training to get her where you can trust she can do it, she is physically able to do it (no pulled muscles etc)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Obediences classes or nosework or tracking classes are great, or if you know any other people with suitable dog playmates that could stop by for visits as well if she would like that.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Shaping games and tricks with a clicker might be good. You don't have to do much moving yourself; you wait for the dog to move and gradually shape her toward desired behavior with a clicker and treats. Most dogs love the game once they figure out its rules.

If you look up kikopup's channel on youtube, you can see some pretty impressive examples of things that her dogs have been shaped to do. Alternatively, if you prefer reading to watching, Kyra Sundance's book 101 Dog Tricks can be a good place to start.

Diesel and Lace's suggestion of training the dog to pull your chair is an interesting idea! I'm not sure how I would go about starting that, though. Maybe look to skijoring or weight pulling for an idea of where to begin?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
One of our new favorite toys (thanks to members here) The Magic Mushroom we got from Amazon. It took dexter about 10 mins to figure out how to get food out of this thing but he loves it and its keeps him mentally stimulated.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I applied for a Power Chair from my health ins and pain management phys. I will find out later today if that is approved or not. Once I get the chair I can take her on much longer walks and use my long leads to allow her to roam a bit and fetch back toys I throw ahead of us on the walk. I have a 30 and a 50 foot lead so She will have plenty of slack when we walk. She heels on command and doesn't pull so she should do well on a long lead retrieveing and searching ahead. Just hafta see how it goes later on today.....She has already shown us she is way too smart for us, and has been training us her way pretty good so far...
Wheelchair Bob

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My dogs are most tired after tracking it seems... Try nose work. Takes mental power rather than physical but tires them more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts