German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came in with Mona (separate thread)

Petfinder Adoptable Dog | German Shepherd Dog | Columbia, KY | Crissy.

Crissy

German Shepherd Dog: An adoptable dog in Columbia, KY

Medium • Young • Female

Crissy is a 1 year old shepherd she is very sweet

More about Crissy

Pet ID: 2930695
Crissy's Contact Info

Green River Animal Shelter, Columbia, KY

Posted on SITUATIONS REQUIRING IMMEDIATE ATTENTION - KY_CENTRAL today:
Columbia, KY: Two Sweet German Shepherd Dogs

*****************************************************************************************************
POSTED 11/5

CONTACT: PH: (270) 385 -9655 or email [email protected]. Please cross post. Thank you!

Crissy and Mona came in together. They are about one year old. They are in Columbia, KY at the Green River Animal Shelter.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KY isnt having the best of luck keeping shepherds in homes huh. Bump for the pretty ladies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both girls are going to a rescue in Columbus, Oh today.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Glad to hear the great news.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
KY isnt having the best of luck keeping shepherds in homes huh. Bump for the pretty ladies.
KY historically is a rough state for GSD's....there are some very rural shelters there. Audrey came from one of them. It was basically a small warehouse with kennels and I think two volunteers running everything. It was in the middle of the sticks....

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
KY historically is a rough state for GSD's....there are some very rural shelters there. Audrey came from one of them. It was basically a small warehouse with kennels and I think two volunteers running everything. It was in the middle of the sticks....
I remember Audrey! How is she doing?

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Despite this "reputation," I am a Kentuckian and, having a very difficult time adopting a female GSD in Kentucky. I've actually seen many more listed on Petfinder in Indiana. Illinois, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Michigan, etc.

I called this shelter multiple times and emailed them. By the time someone finally answered the phone at the shelter, the dogs had already been committed to the Ohio rescue. Ironic that I would have to adopt a Kentucky shelter dog from an Ohio rescue. The rescue hasn't even listed these two dogs yet and, their website is only partially operational--???

Another beautiful 7-month old female came into the Glasgow shelter and, was adopted when the doors opened the morning after first Petfinder posting. Another female was at Louisville Animal Control and adopted the day after Petfinder posting, only 30 min. before I called. This is three attempts since last Friday 11-5. If there are female GSD's languishing in Kentucky shelters, I'm not finding them. Still looking... :confused:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Uck - are they spaying those girls? Because I have bad feelings that it isn't someone who is looking for a great pet in some of those cases at least...
Getting bad vibes also - something doesn't seem right about this.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Meeting Crissy next week...

OMG--sinister reasons for adopting never occurred to me. I don't know if these shelters spay prior to posting for adoption or, if they use the spay certificate system.

I do know that the Green River shelter, where these two girls were pulled, has recently had a change of administration which was lobbied for by animal rights/rescue people in the area. I learned about this from Peg of Sugarfoot Farm Rescue in Columbia, Ky.

Peg also helped me track down Mona & Crissy. They are both with Pardoned Pooches Rescue in Cincinnati. Both are likely younger than a year old, probably 8 or 9 months according to Serene of the rescue. Mona will likely be adopted by one of the groups' fosters. Duke & I are going to do a meet & greet with Crissy a week from Saturday. Hopefully, Crissy will find her new forever home with us Thanksgiving weekend. I should soon be able to post these girls' happy ending! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Grizzly now listed as pending adoption

There is one at the Bowling Green shelter that is out of time.
Sorry, Rebel, I didn't see your post before I replied. Checking the shelter site, I found no female GSD listed. I know the male has been listed but, I have a dominant male dog now and feel we'd be more successful with a female.

I do find that Grizzly is listed as a pending adoption. :)

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
OMG--sinister reasons for adopting never occurred to me. I don't know if these shelters spay prior to posting for adoption or, if they use the spay certificate system.

I do know that the Green River shelter, where these two girls were pulled, has recently had a change of administration which was lobbied for by animal rights/rescue people in the area. I learned about this from Peg of Sugarfoot Farm Rescue in Columbia, Ky.

Peg also helped me track down Mona & Crissy. They are both with Pardoned Pooches Rescue in Cincinnati. Both are likely younger than a year old, probably 8 or 9 months according to Serene of the rescue. Mona will likely be adopted by one of the groups' fosters. Duke & I are going to do a meet & greet with Crissy a week from Saturday. Hopefully, Crissy will find her new forever home with us Thanksgiving weekend. I should soon be able to post these girls' happy ending! :)
Awesome! And thank you - we will be looking for your update! :thumbup:

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Both girls adopted

Ms. Mona was adopted by one of the foster Moms from Pardoned Pooches Rescue in Cincinnati. Ms. Crissy came to her forever home with Duke & I yesterday. Happy Thanksgiving & happy endings...:)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Ms. Mona was adopted by one of the foster Moms from Pardoned Pooches Rescue in Cincinnati. Ms. Crissy came to her forever home with Duke & I yesterday. Happy Thanksgiving & happy endings...:)
So happy for you..glad you found a dog to rescue..That is such great news!! Enjoy your new addition.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Happy Family

Thanks so much, Leslie! It's been five days and we're having fun with our new little girl, re-named Ilsa by the Rescue. She's lively and keeping both Duke & I on our toes. I think she may even be younger than 9 mos. She seems to have all of her adult teeth (she has beautiful teeth!) but, still chewing a lot, diligently working her way through our big basket of chew-toys. She also just seems more puppy-ish than 9 months--maybe our vet will have a better opinion of her true age.

She's also very sweet & very smart, already sits for her food dish & treats, learning to walk on a coupler leash, LOVES to run at the dog parks & doing pretty well with recalls. She seems more happy & relaxed every day & the Dukester, after his initial "what the heck have you done?" reaction, is warming up to the idea of having a playmate/sharing some of my attention. (She's learning how to entice him into play--it's so much fun to see.) I think we're gonna be just fine.

It's sad to imagine what circumstances prompted someone to drop off Ilsa & her sister at the shelter but, comforting to know two abandoned dogs ended up in good homes. I'm very thankful this sweet & wonderful girl has come to share life with us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts