German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Bear
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I recently bread my solid Liver male With a black and tan female.
I have been reading a lot and Trying to guess what colors may come out of the litter. It’s been about a month so I know I have a little while to go until I really know. I was just trying to figure out what we may get. I’ve never bread before so this is a first for me. Anybody have any ideas? I’m actually very excited to see what they have.
Dog German shepherd dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
You will need to know what color genetics both dogs carry in order to make any predictions.Here is a link for you to help predict coat color. Post #10 has a chart.Bred instead of bread.

·
Administrator
9,817 Posts
I honestly wanted a puppy out of my bear. The female is a friend of mine and he wanted a puppy as well.
i’ve used this analogy before…
both pizza and chocolate are good... but i would not like chocolate on my pizza.
the approach you’ve taken is risky. not knowing if the dogs health/genetics/temperament/pedigrees actually compliment each other - hopefully you guys get what you’re after and have 10-12 other homes lined up as well.
personally, color would be the least of my concerns.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Liver is a serious color fault in the breed standard. Hopefully both parents have been officially health tested for Hips, Elbows, Back and DM as a minumum, as well as some kind of titles to prover breed worthiness. Breeding because you want one out of your dog, is one of the many reasons that shelters and rescues are full of unwanted pets. While everyone loves their pet, not all are breeding material. Breed standards are there to maintain the integrity and purpose of the breed itself.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Chilli chocolate is a thng

Yum!Chili peppers!Edies Ice cream has a "chilly chili" flavor with hot pepper and chocolate. Love it:)

Sorry OP that we veered off subject.We are all major worriers here when breeding is involved. There's so much that can go wrong during pregnancy, birth,and rearing puppies.Then finding stable forever homes for the pups.....the more you research it the more daunting it seems.

Reactions: ksotto333

·
Registered
131 Posts
We all love our dogs very much and wish we could have a duplicate made so we can continue the line when our beloved dog passes but this is not always a good idea. For starters the puppy may not resemble the father or mother you own all that much. But even if you got lucky and kept one puppy that resembled your dog you still have the rest of the litter to contend with. Litters are usually more than one or two and the ones you don't keep usually end up costing you a lot of work & money. The most common result is that they end up either sold cheap or given away to become easy targets for inadequate homes and/or dog shelters.
If you want another GSD save yourself a lot of trouble and expense, take the advice of experienced people at this forum and buy a puppy from a good breeder or even better rescue one from a shelter.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
This has nothing to do with the OP's question.
I was just wondering if the males (liver) coat had been shaved halfway back or is the lighting just making it look like he has two different coat types? Did anyone else notice it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts