German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you guys! I know this is a pretty simple question, but I was looking at a few sites and they had different colors/patterns under different names which totally confused me (I dunno how to explain it! Haha). But I was wondering, what are all the shepherd colors? Just for fun, maybe if you have an adult/puppy post a picture of them with the name of their color? :D

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Black, bi-color, black and tan/red, sable. White is not really a color, it's a dilution so genetically the dog is still one of the other colors.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I love my dark black sable and red, but I would love to have a solid blue or liver or a liver and tan for my next GSD, but it will be a long time before I get another.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i'm guessing the dog had a development malfunction. a random genetic mutation made it a black mixed with black and tan. it didn't know which way to go. he should be neutered. those genes need to be culled out of the gene pool. cool looking dog though!

·
Registered
732 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Black, bi-color, black and tan/red, sable. White is not really a color, it's a dilution so genetically the dog is still one of the other colors.
True ... the color white in the German Shepherd is created by a recessive white masking gene. A well bred WGSD has dark eyes, nose, pads. Two WGSDs when bred together can only produce the color white. If a WGSD is bred to a colored GSD, then white (if the colored GSD carries the white gene) and/or colored puppies can be produced. If the colored dog doesn't carry the white gene then only colored puppies can be produced.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
i'm guessing the dog had a development malfunction. a random genetic mutation made it a black mixed with black and tan. it didn't know which way to go. he should be neutered. those genes need to be culled out of the gene pool. cool looking dog though!
No. Nothing so dramatic. Her pup isn't a purebred. It looks like a cross with a Dutchie, but she'll never know for sure. She was told it was a cross with a GSD and a lab. To me, it looks like a Dutchie cross.

I do agree, it's a cool looking dog.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
going by that page i think Diesel is bi-colour?
Since Diesel is a mix, he won't necessarily fall into one of the accepted GSD colors/patterns.

He looks like a blanket-back black and tan, with some brindling on his feet. There might be some other breed in his background other than GSD and Lab to get brindling.

(Posted same time as Lillie, :thumbup: )

·
Registered
28 Posts
we was told GSD and lab mix but like lilie has pointed out i cant be sure that its true or that there isnt something else in there too but when i look at her all i can see is GSD :) she is def a head turner lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts