German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new to the forum, and have enjoyed reading the many informative posts. My question is on the proper description of my youngster, Abel. From what I have read here, I think he is a "blanket black and tan" with a "stock" coat. Is that correct?

Thanks,
P O Emerson

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I'd consider him a saddle-back black and tan. Just because his black isn't that far-reaching and almost looks like it will fade more as he ages. How old is he?

He does appear to be a stock coat.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Well, we agree on the stock coat. His age does matter cause the tan may continue further up the legs to give more of a saddle as he ages (or not).

This color thing and our GSD's is hard. He's NOT sable and he's NOT a long coat (or white, he's definitely not a white GSD
)

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
if he is 2, he looks darker than a saddle i think...but maybe not as dark as some blankets...ah..semantics.

he is handsome, and definately stock coat!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I feel better about not being able to figure it out for myself. Seems like the choice between saddle and blanket on some dogs is just a matter of individual opinion. Either way, I'm going to keep him. Many thanks for the opinions and compliments.
P O Emerson

·
Super Moderator
7,382 Posts
imo your description is accurate, B/T blanket black. if he had any more black than he does, it'd be argued that he was a bi color, lol.

i'll admit that he's right at the border, but i usually consider a dog a saddle back when there is little to no black on the hip/thigh area. hence the comparison to a saddle. his black also reaches his elbows, which is in most descriptions of blanket backs.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I would call him a blanket. I'm not sure how genetics work as far as blanket vs. saddle, but to me a saddle actually looks like a saddle, and anything more I just call a blanket. There's also bi-color, but to be a bi-color he'd ONLY have tan on the bottoms of his legs and feet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts