German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure of the appropriate forum to put this in.

We are moving to Colorado Springs in a little under two weeks. I am looking for recommendations on a vet, groomer (maybe??? Do GSD actually need a groomer if we brush and bathe regularly? I never used one before, and am petrified of trusting my baby to anyone after the whole super-glue the ear back on incident. I also used to work for an independently owner pet store and the owner did grooming...I wouldn't EVER let that witch touch one of my animals, she was quite abusive imo. My sister is a groomer, so please don't think I'm bashing them all, but I would love recommendations on GOOD ones if I will need one), trainer, raw sources/coops?

(We don't have a dog currently, getting one end of July/early August, most likely. We want to get settled before we add a puppy to the chaos.)

For the vet, I would positively LOVE if they also dealt with birds, I have a blue and gold macaw that will need nails/beak trimmed ASAP when we get there, and of course I would like to have a good avian vet for emergencies.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
If you are comfortable doing nails (I'm petrified of doing those black nails ugh .. I cringed as I did them for the first time last weekend for my puppy), then I don't see that you HAVE to use a groomer if you're used to doing everything yourself. I don't live in that area so can't help with vets etc, though....sorry!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Crossroads Animal hospital near Austin Bluffs and Academy. They also have a groomer. I use them and love them whenever I'm at home. Very nice people. My in-laws have also been using them for 10+ years as well.

Trainer wise, contact Jim at Cool k'9s dog training. Very knowledgeable. Has GSDs himself so knows and understands the breed well.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had an issue trimming dog or cat nails, but I'm petrified to do my bird's, go figure LOL. With our previous GSD, I usually took him to a locally-owned pet store and they would trim them for a few bucks while I was there with him.

Kzoppa, thank you, I called Crossroads and spoke to them. They recommended Dublin AH for my parrot, so I made an appointment for her, and will make the puppy an appt at Crossroads once we are sure of when we are getting her. MUCH appreciated.

Still would love info about raw coops in the area, if anyone has heard of any.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i brush my dog 3x's to 4x's a week. i bathe him 2x's to 3x's
a year (maybe).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Crossroads Animal hospital near Austin Bluffs and Academy. They also have a groomer. I use them and love them whenever I'm at home. Very nice people. My in-laws have also been using them for 10+ years as well.

Trainer wise, contact Jim at Cool k'9s dog training. Very knowledgeable. Has GSDs himself so knows and understands the breed well.
KZoppa, I just wanted to say thanks again. We're getting our puppy in a few weeks, and I've already spoken with Crossroads extensively (and made an appointment for the day after we get her home) and they seem perfect. Apparently they even have a vet that supports raw feeding :wub:

We already took the macaw to Dublin (Crossroads referred me there for her) and were very happy with them, as well!

So, thanks again, I much appreciate the recommendations! (I have not talked to Jim yet, but I have joined their FB page, so I remember who you said when the time comes!)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
KZoppa, I just wanted to say thanks again. We're getting our puppy in a few weeks, and I've already spoken with Crossroads extensively (and made an appointment for the day after we get her home) and they seem perfect. Apparently they even have a vet that supports raw feeding :wub:

We already took the macaw to Dublin (Crossroads referred me there for her) and were very happy with them, as well!

So, thanks again, I much appreciate the recommendations! (I have not talked to Jim yet, but I have joined their FB page, so I remember who you said when the time comes!)

You are very welcome! I know if I ever manage to move back home for anything, I'll definitely be going to Jim for any of my dog training needs that I cant handle myself lol. When you get in touch with him, tell him Micky Rat's niece sent you. Micky Rat is my uncle who also happens to be named Jim. they're band mates.

I'm glad they work out for you! Crossroads has always been pretty cool about things. very understanding and easy people to see. Honestly wish I'd gone to them when we adopted Riley. Likely would have saved us a great deal of trouble. Also the only vet Zena never tried to eat. She actually likes them. My FIL has her now and takes her there for checkups and whatnot.

Keep in touch! We may be able to get together next time I'm back there for a visit or my husband deploys and I move home again lol. One of my friends is getting married next year and I'm in the wedding so I'll definitely be back there come June!

Also for raw feeding, I'm told pretty much any of the specialty stores for Mexican specific foods are excellent sources as well as Andy's Meat Market. Andy's is off of Platte near the Platte Walmart. Used to go get meats from Andy's all the time when I was younger. They may be able to give you good deals on quality products. All else, they can likely point you in the direction of someone else who can provide what you're looking for easy. I don't feed raw so that's all I can tell you on that front.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just moved from Colorado Springs, we used Yorkshire vet hospital our old lab and our new GSD. It's owned by a husband and wide who both practice there and are both amazing. They are down to earth and do not Overcharge.

I personally didn't like the staff at Dublin animal hospital and there prices were way high the one time I went there before finding Yorkshire (which is right down the road by the way)

I used my breeder for training. Hugh and Angela at Von Alpenmac German Shepherds (look em up on Facebook). They do training classes every weekend for $10/session. They do obedience, personal protection, and service dog training. Hugh trains his dog for schutzhund and Angela's pup is a service dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts