German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy question since color has me confused......

What is the difference between bi-color and black and tan?

Here are a couple pics of the puppy at 18 weeks......

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
Black and tans have tan on the face or back of the ears as a pup, though the rest of the body looks bi-color sometimes. The undercoat may be tan in spots as well
As the pup ages, the tan gets more prominent.
Bi-colors stay the same as when they were about four weeks as far as marking and coloring. Undercoat is usually very dark, no tan whatsoever in a bi.

This is Onyx at 10 weeks with her brother(both bi's)

In this pic, you can see her white spotting which took away the adorable toe penciling that most bi's have:

at 6 months:

1 yr

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My answer would be bicolor is a pattern, while black and tan refers to the pigment ;)

For example, Onyx is a black and tan bicolor ;)

What the pattern consists of has already been explained. If I'm remembering correctly, saddle back and blanket back are the same genetically, just differ on amounts of black. While bicolor and solid are each their own pattern genetically. A member here made this great visual pattern chart: Dogs for Defense K-9

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

She came into rescue at 12 weeks, typical puppy mill puppy bought from a pet store.
They quickly realized what a handful a Shepherd puppy could be.

I ended up fostering her and she looks to be staying :)
She is definitely a handful and very bossy. At 12 weeks she was dominating my 1.5 yr old male Shepherd along with my 100 pound Samoyed.

So far, I think she will end up to be my sport dog doing fly ball and agility.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah I would have to say Black and tan as well. There seems to be no black penciling of the toes, and alot more tan on the legs then I've seen on most Bi Colors, not to mention the tan pigmentation on the face.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts