German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a blanket black and tan, melanistic black and tan, and a bi-color...and which would she be?

I've been finding this unusually confusing LOL

(posting as many angles as I can)

·
Registered
932 Posts
to me i say your dog will be a blanket back for one she is young so the tan looks to be coming in more next to last photo around her neck, a bi color has very little tan and just mainly on the legs maybe a little on face but is mostly black. now the other one I have not heard of before that is a new one, I have 2 that is blanket backs and if they had a little more black they would be bi colors they are so close to one

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

The odd thing about that second to last pic, I think the collar is actually pulling some of the guard hairs up, exposing more undercoat. Normally, her neck looks as it does in the last pic.

I do know that her coat can change until she's about 2 and she's only 8 mos now. But since February, we haven't seen much in the way of lightening.

Her parents are both typical saddle back black and tans though.

It's not a big deal....just my 'hmmm' of the morning LOL

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
My gosh, Reich is STUNNING.
Sorry no real color comment, but.. just.. WOW. I love this color combination! What a looker she will be when she matures!! Nothing's cuter than solid black with tan boots and smiley patches and eyebrows!!
Love you, Reich!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You! I fawn over her and tell her how pretty she is all the time lol

Alot of pups are dark, then start lightening...I kept waiting, and waiting...she grew, but no more tan has come yet.

I really like her this dark, time will tell exactly how she ends up...but I'd still love her if she turned pink!

Edited to add...sables have really grown on me this year..Grimm is AWESOME! Gorgeous, and such intense eyes..gotta love it!!!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
She looks a lot like my KC.
In the 4th she looks like a blanket.

You can see in this picture of KC how far down her Black comes.

Her chest and chin.

KC for sure is a Bi-color to me but since Reich has a lot more tan then I go with Blanket.
She is a pretty girl no matter her coloring!

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Both dogs are still young and will more than likely get lighter.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Originally Posted By: Reichsmom...and which would she be?

I've been finding this unusually confusing LOL
I say she be the beautiful one! Nice looking dog.

If she is young, you may see her colors change a bit. My 4 year old "pure black" turned bi-colored somewhere around 3 years of age.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Melanistic black and tan and blanket black and tan are the same thing. First is the technical term, second is the laymen's term that refers to the general pattern of the dog.

Often, it can be hard to tell a really melanistic black and tan from a faded (more extensive tan markings) bi-color. Sometimes to the point that the only way to be sure is to know the genetics behind the dog. But IMO, based on the pictures, she's a bi-color. A somewhat faded one (with more tan markings than most), but a bi-color. Not a black and tan.

This site does a great job of covering explaining the different colors:
http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/07_Colour_&_Pigment/Colour_&_Pigment.html

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Chris!! I was actually thinking melanistic/blanket b&t were likely two ways of saying the same general thing...but wasn't able to find much clarification.

That link was great. The faded bi-color makes sense, as she does have tar heels, and that is supposed to be a bi-color trait, correct?

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
looks bi-color to me!
Here is our Allie, 2 yrs old, although I have seen some much darker bi-colors than Allie!

side

front

back ( on the right)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts