German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Super Moderator
Your picture is so dark it's hard to tell.A picture from the side of her entire body in a sunny spot would be helpful.

Premium Member
I agree that it's hard to clearly see her color in the pics (besides the white patch on her chest). She could otherwise be black, but it doesn't necessarily look like it. Do you have pics of the parents? That'll give a better idea of what color she'll end up.

Registered
Vega 鈥 Von Braun 鈥
What a cutie! Is she a mix? Do you have photos of both parents? That鈥檚 a great place to start.
I can see some lighter coloration up her legs, similar to a bicolor leg pattern. But it is hard to tell for sure due to the shade in the photo. She is absolutely adorable though! 鈾 Please post more photos when you get your new little one!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a cutie! Is she a mix? Do you have photos of both parents? That鈥檚 a great place to start.
I can see some lighter coloration up her legs, similar to a bicolor leg pattern. But it is hard to tell for sure due to the shade in the photo. She is absolutely adorable though! 鈾 Please post more photos when you get your new little one!
This is now a recent picture, both parents are german shepherd but no papers so there could always be a mix in there somewhere I'd say. The dad is gold in color and the mom Sable, she's super good so far and I'm all about her already 馃槄

Attachments

Premium Member
The color will be more like the dad - although even the blacker parts can "fade" or go sable as she ages. White is not that uncommon, and especially with pet breeders who are not knowledgeable about the backgrounds.

Lee

Administrator
adorable.
so what did you name her?

Registered
The white faded quite a bit. Pretty girl!

Registered
The white is residual. There is no genetic component creating the white spots in our breed THAT THEY KNOW OF at this time. The chest and toes are the last place to develop color in utero and sometimes they just aren't done cooking. I have a female, well bred from top lines, with white on her chest. Her father, a BSP winner, has white on his chest. I've seen puppies from Ox Iveron with white on them. It's just something that happens. It generally fades as the puppy ages. Sometimes will decrease and sometimes will go away all together. A few friends and I looked into the genetics on this a couple of years ago. Even sent one dog out to test for any genes such as spotting that might cause this. It's just something that happens with no known genetics behind it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The white is residual. There is no genetic component creating the white spots in our breed THAT THEY KNOW OF at this time. The chest and toes are the last place to develop color in utero and sometimes they just aren't done cooking. I have a female, well bred from top lines, with white on her chest. Her father, a BSP winner, has white on his chest. I've seen puppies from Ox Iveron with white on them. It's just something that happens. It generally fades as the puppy ages. Sometimes will decrease and sometimes will go away all together. A few friends and I looked into the genetics on this a couple of years ago. Even sent one dog out to test for any genes such as spotting that might cause this. It's just something that happens with no known genetics behind it.
That's pretty cool, the secrets of nature I guess. No matter how advanced we are in certain areas there are still mysteries to keep our minds wondering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts