German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
You can teach a dog to do things. There's no surprise there. I don't know if I can type this fast enough to beat the whole "This proves IPO is a joke" nonsense that floods in with these videos, but in real simple terms, they don't do it for the same reasons or with the same level of power, aggression, -insert whatever other terms you'd like here-. Even in the same breed, you'll see the differences in the individual dogs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you are not even remotely shocked that a collie was at a IPO event and did good?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
I think it is an English Shepherd. These are good working farm dogs that will take matters in their own hands if need be. Totally different from the Rough Collie.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I mean, have you seen the Poodle and Chihuahua that do IPO?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i do not consider BH to be IPO, the poodle one i actually believe i have seen some mean poodles.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i do not consider BH to be IPO, the poodle one i actually believe i have seen some mean poodles.
I find that interesting considering that you can't title in IPO without a BH.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, let me further explain. I am saying BH doesn't have protection in it, it is like a super version of obedience so for a chihuahua to do it isnt really crazy. Do not get me wrong I am glad to see a well behaved chihuahua that isnt barking at the wind.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Lots of behavior I don't like in this video. The dog did the routine. Some might like what they see, I wouldn't. That is why you need to either trust the breeder to choose wisely, or see a dog work before breeding to him or before purchasing a puppy out of him. If you really want a dog for protection work, chose carefully. I would never chose this dog or breed to him even if he was brown and black with pointy ears. Technically, a good routine. That is all.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Dog done a nice job. As Steve said, the dog doesn't have the aggression or presence of a strong dog. But it was a nice routine. I have seen quite a few Shepherds that do protection work with the same game of tug mind set. I have also seen quite a few Shepherds that garner respect. They may not have flashy obedience but the power and aggression is obvious. Gonna have both kinds of dogs in sport. A lot of handlers don't want and probably shouldn't have a powerful high aggression dog. To each their own. My opinion is that at least they're working the dog in something.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I should look up to see if there are heelers doing IPO. I could see them being serious and less about playing.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I would have never thought this is possible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3yXHRQ5OhE
I've seen GSD's do worse. I did notice that the collie in the video worked like a collie. There was a visible sense that the decoy was treated like stock. Be the sheep, lol.
But what I noticed more was the decoys noticeable distaste of the dog. There were moments when you could see the look of irritation on his face. In spite of the dog doing nothing wrong.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
has to say something that they are in a World Championship. I wonder how many GSD did not make the cut but a collie did.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I should look up to see if there are heelers doing IPO. I could see them being serious and less about playing.

We had a heeler in our club. They titled BH easily, but the owner was a perfectionist so never went for the 1 because he felt they needed to be at a 3 level before trying. Dog definitely could’ve titled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I love seeing dogs title that aren't the typical GSD, mal, or dutchie, very refreshing. they might not have the same intensity or presence on the field as the others but its great to see them out and doing sports and doing well.

I know a trainer that has taken a boston terrier to IPO 1, as well as giant schnauzers, heelers and poodles. really cool to see breed variation within the sport

·
Registered
264 Posts
IPO has been losing participants over the years. One can't be too snotty about these things like the aristocrats of France before they lost their heads in the French Revolution. It's good to see people having fun, working at it, training and bonding with their dogs whatever the breed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts