German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some things might have to change in my life, and I may be going away to school way sooner than I thought, rather than continue to commute. Any opinions/advice from those of you who are currently going to a University and have your GSD with you? Luckily I am pre-vet, and many of the schools I have been looking at are lenient with allowing dogs to live on campus/near campus. I don't plan on dorming. Any advice feel free to share. And DO NOT feel the need to say I shouldn't have gotten a dog, or that I should rehome my dog or leave him at home. Those are not options, he is going with me. When I got him I obviously didn't plan on going away so soon. I had planned to move once I had obtained my bachelors and had a better job and could afford a house/apartment/car all at once. Well life happens and things don't work out the way you plan - but things will work out one way or another.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have never had a dog at college, but since you are pre-vet some schools may have housing that allows dogs. A lot of times you can also find an apartment very close to the school so you can even go home between classes and let your dog out. I imagine it's pretty possible to manage especially when you get into the swing of things.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never had a dog at college, but since you are pre-vet some schools may have housing that allows dogs. A lot of times you can also find an apartment very close to the school so you can even go home between classes and let your dog out. I imagine it's pretty possible to manage especially when you get into the swing of things.
Yeah im pretty sure its possible, not worried about not having time for him/not finding ANY places that allow dogs or anything, I already am in school, and its been fine. I was looking online at some of the apartments/houses near campuses (Wisconsin Madison) and there are over a 100 pet friendly ones. Im just worried about the price (not because of the dog) just the general prices, they seem so high :eek:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yeah, prices are usually pretty high near colleges. Are you looking at places on Craigslist? I seem to find cheaper prices on there.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, prices are usually pretty high near colleges. Are you looking at places on Craigslist? I seem to find cheaper prices on there.
No the University housing website, didnt think of craigslist! This college stuff sucks - I have been on my own with this whole college thing since I graduated and its so hard. Wish life had a "how to" book. :crazy:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Katie, we live in a University town and there are tons of college kids here with dogs. As GusGus said look on Craigslist, you'll find an easier time finding a place for you and Berlin.

The Universities are pretty good about student employment and usually the economy is a little better in a college town, so jobs should be a little easier to find.
You seem like a really responsible person, I'm sure you will make it work for you and Berlin.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'm certain things will work out for you and Berlin. I wish you luck.

Where are you attending school? I would think any medium to large size university would have ample housing on or near campus.

I used to go with a girl while in the Air Force at Central Missouri State University that had a Collie and lived in an apartment practically on campus.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I had two dogs I got when I was in high school and then had them when I was in college and I had my Shepherd in college/grad school, however I went to a "commuter school" that did not have dorms/student housing and my grad school is close to where I live so I never had the housing issues, and I haven't really had any other problems having dogs while in school (except for money issues sometimes.)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I really hope it works out for you. It didn't for my son....that's why I now own Stella. It sounds like you will make the time for your dog. Apts where my son goes to University are expensive and not many allow dogs. Sounds like a different situation for you....Good luck!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm not in school yet but am going back part time in the fall, I plan to keep my full time job so I can still function financially and not go terribly into debt.

I didn't want to move by campus when I moved as going back to school wasn't on my radar but found it was easier to find large dog friendly housing the closer to campus I got. One thing I did was throw together a resume for Gaia and had a letter of reference of sorts from our trainer, she also came along on viewings with us so the landlords could get meet her, I did this after all the breed discrimination I was getting after mentioning I had a GSD.

Where your routine isn't going to change too much, you'll do fine. Not that you wouldn't anyway.

Keep the pictures coming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I got my first big dog (as a wee pup) at the age of 21 when I was in college. He went with me to Washington State University, University of Montana and Eastern Washington University. I simply just found housing that took him. That dog was awesome, he lived with me until he was 10 years old and I had to put him down from bone cancer. Through my marriage and the birth of all three of my children. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it and don't think that it can't be done.

Also, I was as poor as a church mouse and worked two jobs that were both part-time one at a video store and one at a pizza parlor through all of it. I was studying for my astronomical physics degree and I can tell you those aren't cheap LOL. I heard a lot of negativity from a lot of people but those same people still talk about how awesome that dog was today.

You'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
803 Posts
We live practically on campus. My boyfriend goes to The University of FLorida and I'm finishing up my degree at the community college but I'm on my clinical portion now so I'm out working 40 hrs at area hospitals.. For free.
Gainesville is a very dog friendly town however not many apartments are not breed restrictive. Every one we looked at was very small and pricey but we found one we liked. Since our schedules are different and I'm gone about 12 he's a day he's able to come home during lunch before he goes to work to let her out. On the days he can't we ask his parents who live about 30mins away to come let her out.
I've thought about getting a pet walker but we have limited funds and with her being fearful I'd have to find a woman and have her over a while before we did anything. I looked for apartments for months before finding a place, but we like it here.
Studying is kinda hard because once the book gets cracked open she wants to be in your lap or wanting to play.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Lara and I live with my boyfriend at an off campus apartment about a 10-15 minute walk away from campus, so close. Our rent for a 2 bedroom is 950 a month but with a pet they charge me an extra 100 a month :[, so it's not cheap. My school lets dogs on campus, the sorority often does a fundraiser where they bring rescue dogs to campus and sell playdates with them to raise funds, plus all the other students get really happy when I bring her to campus because they miss their dogs.

Schedules is the hard part, my whole school schedule revolves around having hours randomly throughout the day to exercise her, some days I walk to campus and back up to 3 times because instead of being in one four-hour block all my classes are spread out. Second hard part is living in an apartment, so literally every time she needs to go outside it's on leash and I have to take her down 2 flights of stairs. Studying doesnt happen for me unless she's asleep, so I either choose to crate her (usually not) or just stay up really late.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got my first big dog (as a wee pup) at the age of 21 when I was in college. He went with me to Washington State University, University of Montana and Eastern Washington University. I simply just found housing that took him. That dog was awesome, he lived with me until he was 10 years old and I had to put him down from bone cancer. Through my marriage and the birth of all three of my children. Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do it and don't think that it can't be done.

Also, I was as poor as a church mouse and worked two jobs that were both part-time one at a video store and one at a pizza parlor through all of it. I was studying for my astronomical physics degree and I can tell you those aren't cheap LOL. I heard a lot of negativity from a lot of people but those same people still talk about how awesome that dog was today.

You'll be fine. :)
Thanks Aimee. Its nice to hear about how people CAN do it, especially with a larger breed dog. I was also 21 when I got Akira/Berlin. Exciting to know you had your dog with you while at Washington State - thats one of the schools at the top of my list (for graduate school). Im studying for a science degree as well, Bachelor in Biological Sciences (with focus on pre-vet/neurology), NOT CHEAP! Neither is Vet School :crazy: I went to school to become a sterile compounding pharmacy technician when I was 19, so that is my current career, which is financially, a step above some people my age. But Im hoping to find a better job once I obtain my bachelors. The hard part will be FINDING a new job wherever I move to...especially if I go to Wisc-Madison. They have a vet school, but also a pharmacy school. So many of the pharmacy jobs are taken by the students.

I'm not in school yet but am going back part time in the fall, I plan to keep my full time job so I can still function financially and not go terribly into debt.

I didn't want to move by campus when I moved as going back to school wasn't on my radar but found it was easier to find large dog friendly housing the closer to campus I got. One thing I did was throw together a resume for Gaia and had a letter of reference of sorts from our trainer, she also came along on viewings with us so the landlords could get meet her, I did this after all the breed discrimination I was getting after mentioning I had a GSD.

Where your routine isn't going to change too much, you'll do fine. Not that you wouldn't anyway.

Keep the pictures coming.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Thank you! Thats an awesome idea, I'll definitely get some references from my trainer/vet and what not. Yeah finding housing that allows dogs isnt as much of a problem as I thought, just housing near campus is ridiculously expensive! Then factor in roommates who will have to be able to live with my GSD..

I'm certain things will work out for you and Berlin. I wish you luck.

Where are you attending school? I would think any medium to large size university would have ample housing on or near campus.

I used to go with a girl while in the Air Force at Central Missouri State University that had a Collie and lived in an apartment practically on campus.
Thank you Michael. I am currently at the local community college (I graduate in a few short months though!) I was planning on attending UW- Parkside in Wisconsin, because its only 30 minutes from my house. But for graduate school, that is the big unknown, and that is coming up way too fast. I am pre vet, so my choices are limited, but heres the top ones - Wisconsin-Madison, Washington State, Colorado State, University of Florida, University of Illinois (Champaign-Urbana) Due to recent issues, I might just transfer to the school id be going to for graduate school, and just stay there for the next 6-8 years. (oh my god thats a lot of school STILL, and I've already been in school for 4 years)

Katie, we live in a University town and there are tons of college kids here with dogs. As GusGus said look on Craigslist, you'll find an easier time finding a place for you and Berlin.

The Universities are pretty good about student employment and usually the economy is a little better in a college town, so jobs should be a little easier to find.
You seem like a really responsible person, I'm sure you will make it work for you and Berlin.
Thanks Tory! :) Is the university town Fort Collins?? Or Boulder? Regardless, its good to know that Colorado looks promising for me and him. :D:D

We live practically on campus. My boyfriend goes to The University of FLorida and I'm finishing up my degree at the community college but I'm on my clinical portion now so I'm out working 40 hrs at area hospitals.. For free.
Gainesville is a very dog friendly town however not many apartments are not breed restrictive. Every one we looked at was very small and pricey but we found one we liked. Since our schedules are different and I'm gone about 12 he's a day he's able to come home during lunch before he goes to work to let her out. On the days he can't we ask his parents who live about 30mins away to come let her out.
I've thought about getting a pet walker but we have limited funds and with her being fearful I'd have to find a woman and have her over a while before we did anything. I looked for apartments for months before finding a place, but we like it here.
Studying is kinda hard because once the book gets cracked open she wants to be in your lap or wanting to play.
FSU Gainesville is one of the schools ive been looking at for graduate school, how awesome! And hey- I hear ya, my puppy is the same way. He doesnt like me doing homework LOL. I literally have to tire him out so he passes out before I can attempt to do any homework. Or give him a good raw bone. ;)

Lara and I live with my boyfriend at an off campus apartment about a 10-15 minute walk away from campus, so close. Our rent for a 2 bedroom is 950 a month but with a pet they charge me an extra 100 a month :[, so it's not cheap. My school lets dogs on campus, the sorority often does a fundraiser where they bring rescue dogs to campus and sell playdates with them to raise funds, plus all the other students get really happy when I bring her to campus because they miss their dogs.

Schedules is the hard part, my whole school schedule revolves around having hours randomly throughout the day to exercise her, some days I walk to campus and back up to 3 times because instead of being in one four-hour block all my classes are spread out. Second hard part is living in an apartment, so literally every time she needs to go outside it's on leash and I have to take her down 2 flights of stairs. Studying doesnt happen for me unless she's asleep, so I either choose to crate her (usually not) or just stay up really late.
The rent is my issue as well. Its crazy! What school do you go to? I looked up dog friendly schools in the US, and the number 1 is in Missouri! LOL! I feel you with the schedules thing - plus throw in working. IT SUCKS. I make it work somehow, but it still sucks. Studying happens only once I tired him out, or give him a nice raw bone. Or at night. I work all day some days, plus have classes two days a week, an online class. I usually am up late studying or doing lab reports or memorizing anatomical terms etc etc and then have to be up for work at 6am to go and make peoples drugs. I try and get my studying done though on my days off though.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I think you should go to the university of San Diego. :D (I know, I'm helpful)

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
You need to start calling places and seeing if there are breed restrictions...although many places say they're pet friendly online, this usually means cats, or dogs the size of cats. If they do allow big dogs, GSD is likely to be on a restricted breed list and not allowed anyways. You'll probably find a place, but yes it will be more expensive. I went to school in Milwaukee (and still live here) and we were in a place that allowed GSD...they allowed any dog but it was a building from 1900 so it was old and didn't have many of the amenities people looks for.

When we both graduated, we moved out of the city, and it wasn't the easiest trying to find an apartment that allowed GSDs. This time around, we decided not to mess with an apartment and just bought a house.

I wouldn't bet on roommates if you're going to have a dog...actually I would advise against it. Although you think its nice that someone will be there with your dog when you're not around...who knows how they will treat your dog. Pricing is high...but its around that price no matter where you are. The farther away from the University you get, the bigger the place will be, but the price tends to stay constant.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
well I go to Washington University in St. Louis, it's private and they dont let your pets live in their dorms but they don't care if they're on campus as long as they aren't in the buildings :]. If you're concerned about rent oh god don't apply to Wash U..they are so ridiculously expensive if I didn't have a scholarship I couldnt afford this place. I did look up the pet friendly place here in missouri, that's pretty awesome, and there are lots of other schools nearby. I do think that this city I live in is really pet friendly though, lots of parks everywhere and lots of events for dogs that the Humane society puts on.

I am glad someone suffers from the lack of sleep and difficulty managing school too. :p Just tonight working on a 30 page paper I didnt have time to do all week cuz of my little monster.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Washington State should have fairly reasonable off campus housing--plus it has one of the best vet teaching hospitals in the region.

I didn't have dogs when I was in college but I was a single parent. My best friend had a collie and a shelter and was very poor. She made it work. She rented a basement apt. with a roommate about a half mile from campus. She arranged classes so that she could walk her dogs at least once a day. She got up early to get them out. I think that she missed out on about as much socializing due to her dogs as I did due to my child. The level of commitment was about the same,

Putting together a dog resume is a great idea. Private landlords can be flexible.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I do think having the landlord meet the dog is a really good idea. Once they saw how calm and obedient my dog was (he was an obedience star and super calm when meeting people) they relaxed a lot.

And who could resist Berlin, just like they couldn't resist my dog? ;)

·
Registered
16,035 Posts
I've never found it really easy to find a rental with a dog. BUT I,too, had a dog as an undergraduate and graduate student. WSU, MSU, OSU although OSU was a commute for me. I lived off campus when I had the dog. I did not have any hope of going home mid day to walk the dog. He did fine. I had better luck living in the small towns rather than in the main college town. These were rural communities and much more accepting of dogs in rental housing. Rent was always cheaper outside of the main college town.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts