German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
At 4 months the martingale is great. Leave the prong off for another 6 months at least in my opinion. If you are looking to train in schutzhund have you found a club yet? If you have, does your trainer know about this puppy class? There are no "puppy classes" for schutzhund dogs, they pretty much get to chase rags and tugs and be goofy puppies. Inductive O.B., drive building, focus work, and FUN.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Pam,

I would strongly urge you to hold off on that class until you can have her evaluated by a helper and you discuss the class with the club. A class that suggests a prong on a 4 month old will most likely do more harm than good for a SchH prospect. AKC obedience (which I am guessing this class for competition dogs is geared towards) dogs and SchH dogs are developed MUCH MUCH differently. In the meantime, take a look at Leerburg's Building Drive and Focus with Bernard Flinks DVD here... http://www.leerburg.com/101e.htm . This will outline a game you can play with her to develop her bite, drive and focus.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.