German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought the forum's opinion would be the best answer to this question. Delta is closing in on 4 months. I have her enrolled in an obedience puppy class geared towards dogs that will go into competiton. My hopes are to pursue schutzhund training with her. I must admit I am a novice at this and am always open to suggestions.
I am to either have a prong or martingale collar for her.
Any thoughts on which would be best ?

Thanks,
Pam

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
At 4 months the martingale is great. Leave the prong off for another 6 months at least in my opinion. If you are looking to train in schutzhund have you found a club yet? If you have, does your trainer know about this puppy class? There are no "puppy classes" for schutzhund dogs, they pretty much get to chase rags and tugs and be goofy puppies. Inductive O.B., drive building, focus work, and FUN.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't have a trainer/club yet. There are 2 very good ones within an hour of home so I am researching them. I hope to go out, visit them and observe. I guess I am really not sure what I should be doing with a 4 month old. We have been doing a lot of rag play at home. I am doing this class more for socialization than anything. One of the things they are stressing is focus work. Just thought it would be a good place to start while I figure out the next move.

Thanks,
Pam

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Pam,

I would strongly urge you to hold off on that class until you can have her evaluated by a helper and you discuss the class with the club. A class that suggests a prong on a 4 month old will most likely do more harm than good for a SchH prospect. AKC obedience (which I am guessing this class for competition dogs is geared towards) dogs and SchH dogs are developed MUCH MUCH differently. In the meantime, take a look at Leerburg's Building Drive and Focus with Bernard Flinks DVD here... http://www.leerburg.com/101e.htm . This will outline a game you can play with her to develop her bite, drive and focus.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I think I agree on this class. I don't like the recommendation for a prong on a 4 month old pup. The martingale is great. It sounds as if you are doing your homework with Delta already. As for puppy socializatio - keep taking her with you lots of places so she can meet a lot of people of all types, see new things adn experience lots of osunds and smells, see trucks, people on bikes, skateboards etc.

No matter whether you do nothing except have her as family pet, plan on AKC obedience or Schutzhund, you want her to be as unflappable as possible. A good class is great but not absolutely necessary. You can work on her with other friendly dogs that you know for dog/dog socialization too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks..I am going with the Martingale. I really didn't think the prong was the way to go, just wanted to see what other people thought.
Kathy, you are correct, my main goal is to make her "unflappable". She is first and foremost a family member who goes everywhere with us. I think her favorite place is being in my husbands truck, headed to the bank. All the tellers shower her with biscuits !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts