German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We go swimming with my girl almost every day when the weather is fine. She's a rescue and still has poor musculature compared to my other dog's. So swimming is a great way to build some muscle mass without applying pressure on her joints.
We go to the lake on a leash(it's about 3km away from home). In the past maybe two months she wears a fursaver with her tags, because if she's not swimming it would be a rainy day :D. Our walks are pretty long even when raining. The nylon collar won't dry even when she dries and I don't want to ruin a leather collar for swimming.
Yesterday as I was brushing her coat I saw that her neck has turned not red, but pink. There are no wounds or sth. The fur saver is 3mm from curogan. Could that fur saver have been hurting her neck when she's wet and on leash. I've never used it as a choke chain.
What collar could I put her on when swimming. I would really like her to wear her tags. She won't just run away, she's pretty well trained off leash, but I want to be sure that in case she gets lost and people who find her will get her back to me.
So what collar do you suggest to put her on for swimming(that won't mess her hair)? Rolled leather collars aren't available in my country and it will be expensive to get one. It would be a crime to ruin it :D Months ago I wanted to make her one but it won't be as high quality as the one which I can buy. Would a nylon collar mess her hair that much if worn every day till the end of summer for 2-3 hours a day.
We are planning to go to the seaside this summer and does swimming in salty water will ruin any collar? :D

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I bought a collar made from beta biothane for my dog. It doesn't absorb smell and is unaffected by water. It feels and flexes like leather, but is stronger. The only thing you have to be careful with is not getting insect repellent on it.
Beta biothane is used for horse harness, bridles, etc. Parry Harness & Tack - custom beta biothane equine harness & tack

Here's an example of a beta biothane collar on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Perris-DC850-Beta-Collar-X-Large/dp/B01FAIM0BI/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465552172&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=beta+biothane+dog+collar

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have a rolled leather collar that was worn daily by 2 consecutive dogs, both swam daily in the summer. I think the natural oils in th fur keeps it supple. You can order them online. So if you like the look, go for it. I still have mine, and no dog big enough to wear them, but still too nice to throw out.
Any lightweight nylon would dry fast and be cheap.

·
Super Moderator
2,503 Posts
The only collar I've found that doesn't absorb that damp lake water-y smell is the Ruffwear Headwater collar. I'm not comfortable with my dogs swimming in fursavers or anything that could catch on something and tighten, and I prefer that they swim "naked". But, when they need a collar, I like this one. They've updated the style a little bit from the one that I own (mine is several years old), even when it goes in and out of the lake multiple times a day - NO STINK! It dries pretty quickly too, I just hang it up by the door.

Ruffwear Headwater? Collar | Waterproof, Stink-Proof, Easy to Clean Dog Collar | Ruffwear Performance Dog Gear

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
These are good ideas max usually swims in a fur saved collar Im not to far behind like to swim to but I think I will get the wAterproof collar. I love the biothane leads and have a 15 and really long one 30 feet. I'll often use if beach crowded and great for training.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
A cheap urethane coated nylon collar will do just fine. I like them with a center ring so there is nothing dangling.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Add one for team biothane collars.
My boy only wears a collar when not at home. Wearing a normal nylon collar all day caused him serious irritation under his neck, so after a week we stopped that. He's fine wearing a collar for a handful of hours, but not all day. I've noticed many other dogs with an 'ugly spot' on their neck, due to wearing a collar too much.
To make sure he likes having collars put on, I gave him a treat whenever it went on for the first month to really ingrain 'collar=good.' Now whenever he hears me pick it up, he's quickly at a sit by the front door--he has learned that a collar means we're going out for a car ride to somewhere.
He does lots of lake swimming...he loves swimming. Other dog owners at the lake are always shocked about it. "Your dog...hasn't been on land for over an hour now..." "Holy moly, he's all the way on the other side now!" The biothane collar does great against all of this swimming. Pretty much dry the moment he steps out of water (it doesn't hold water, so it just drops off). No odors. Very tough & holds up no problem when roughhousing with akitas, gsds, rhodesians, danes, you name it. Cleans very easily if dirt & mud cakes onto it; just rinse it off or go for a swim.

No idea if he'd be fine or not with a biothane collar on all day...I like the look of no collars too much...plus, they interrupt my hands when petting him! He does lots of good boy stuff, so I can't be constantly having my hands dance around his collars. :D

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
I take the collars off before they go into the water. Not willing to run a risk that they can get caught on something under water. Another warning: do not let them swim in areas where there are water lilies or other same type aquatic plants. One time WD barely managed getting out of the tangled plants and was actually falling over backwards. Just when I was about to get into the water, he got freed up.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I use waterproof collars for my dogs when they go swimming. The beta biothane collars are very nice looking and don't soak up liquid at all. I also like the Dublin Dog waterproof collars: https://dublindog.com/collars/all-style-no-stink
In the past I used plastic-coated collars made for gundogs/retrievers. They're inexpensive and easy to get as most outdoors stores will have them in the hunting/pet department. They're usually blaze orange. Not very pretty but it works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts