German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was curious what kind of collar would you use on a 16 week old puppy? I haven't been putting a collar on him and only harnessing him when we got out. He gets freedom from the harness when we are inside. I watched leerburg and they didn't recommend collars until the dog is older and for training purposes. Please let me know what you guys think is the best collar and should I always keep it on? or just daytime and take it off when he sleeps through the night?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hey guys, I was curious what kind of collar would you use on a 16 week old puppy? I haven't been putting a collar on him and only harnessing him when we got out. He gets freedom from the harness when we are inside. I watched leerburg and they didn't recommend collars until the dog is older and for training purposes. Please let me know what you guys think is the best collar and should I always keep it on? or just daytime and take it off when he sleeps through the night?

Many thanks!
Not sure why Leerburg recommends that...maybe they make more $ on harnesses? I have used Lupine snap collars with several dogs. Great quality.

https://www.lupinepet.com/store/original-designs-dog-collar

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thank you for this suggestion! Also, do you guys recommend a prong collar yet? (At 16 weeks)
Some say 6 months, others sooner. I would really try motivation with food, high energy training, get the dog to want to play and learn, etc. I think you can use the tool as long as you are using it right.

Try to find out what trainers do (Ellis, Ivan, Leerburg). Get some videos or just check out youtube. Alot of these trainers use yes/no (same as clicker training) with little compulsion in the beginning. I think you can train a 4 month old the simple stuff with food/play motivation and setting a communication "language". With my boy, I will tell him something...say "down" if he sits, I say no...and he tries again, goes down. He thinks, and realizes he did something other then what I asked for. He doesn't get a correction for that. He is showing me he is trying and wants to please. This might not be good enough for competition, but we aren't competing. That said, if it was super important for me to have him be 100%, I could make it happen. The important things are 100%..."come" for instance.

What behavior are you trying to fix with the prong?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
No prong. Try to train away the behavior first. Once you use a prong it’s too easy to rely on it and never get away from it. I used a snug collar with a clip. Plastic to to plastic. I bought a plastic to metal collar on sale and it did not stay latched. They will outgrow it so you need to constantly increase the size as they grow. I didn’t want a dangling end getting caught on things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some say 6 months, others sooner. I would really try motivation with food, high energy training, get the dog to want to play and learn, etc. I think you can use the tool as long as you are using it right.

Try to find out what trainers do (Ellis, Ivan, Leerburg). Get some videos or just check out youtube. Alot of these trainers use yes/no (same as clicker training) with little compulsion in the beginning. I think you can train a 4 month old the simple stuff with food/play motivation and setting a communication "language". With my boy, I will tell him something...say "down" if he sits, I say no...and he tries again, goes down. He thinks, and realizes he did something other then what I asked for. He doesn't get a correction for that. He is showing me he is trying and wants to please. This might not be good enough for competition, but we aren't competing. That said, if it was super important for me to have him be 100%, I could make it happen. The important things are 100%..."come" for instance.

What behavior are you trying to fix with the prong?

Thank you, he is doing well with training, he can sit, stay (ok for now, but working on duration), down, go to crate, got to bed. I was thinking the prong for walks, using it lightly to direct him to follow me. Would this be recommended, or use treats to lure and create behavior?

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I would find out why your puppy doesn't want to follow you. Sounds like there may be a bonding issue, lack of exercise or something else going on.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thank you, he is doing well with training, he can sit, stay (ok for now, but working on duration), down, go to crate, got to bed. I was thinking the prong for walks, using it lightly to direct him to follow me. Would this be recommended, or use treats to lure and create behavior?
Try this....most trainers start this way and conditin the dog to stay with them and in the right position

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would find out why your puppy doesn't want to follow you. Sounds like there may be a bonding issue, lack of exercise or something else going on.

He does follow me, I think I am aiming to be perfect too early, as i lured him with treats and he follows me all day today. i just have to be patient and repetitive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts