German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you chose? Right now, Zeva's got a black and hot pink polka dog collar. The buckle is bright pink also. She also has a pink reflective one, but I over estimated how fast she'll grow and it doesn't fit her safely.. just too big. She came to me w/ a pink camo one, it was cute.

Now, Murphy, his collar is pale blue w/ brown. I watched her put in on him when I chose him, but it looks to be for a toy dog size and I know he'll grow out of it soon. So, today, I was at Walmart and found one that's light blue, almost aqua in color w/ stars on it, yellow and blue. It looks 'almost' girly and I feel kind funny putting it on him. LOL. I got it for 3 dollars, couldn't pass it up. One of the two beasts can wear it at some point.

It's not like ppl don't ask me if Zeva's a girl or boy already.. but you'd think that the bright pink would tip the hat but what do you expect when ppl ask if your kid is a girl or boy when they're in pink and sportin' a dress...

So... how do you decide? Is it random, do you like the solid colors? Leather? I like the quick click ones over the buckle.

Do you base it off the color of their fur? Murphy is a light red sable and I was thinking light blue or green would look well on him. Am I over thinking something so stupid or trivial? Am I as crazy as I and everyone else thinks I am? Do you get matching leashes? Zeva's is just black lol, because it was the only one I could find in the thickness and length I wanted. Also purchased at Walmart for like 6 bucks and I love it.

So.. how do you chose?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Both our dogs have leather ones. Ace's is all black and Nellie has one that is redish brown with little daisy in it. I wanted something girly for her but she kinda out grew the bright pink ones...

I tend to match ours to the hair color.

·
Registered
272 Posts
kobe has always had brown leather collars tux and kobe have matching ones with brass looks like the texas star on them and well scamp has to have cheap quick snap nylon which is bright red as every time i think of buying a leather one he rolls in poop:crazy:
Personally i prefer leather collars although i think scamps bright red one suits him as he has a lot of black on him one day he will be mature enough to have a grown up collar!!!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Camo - it's a hubby thing....

·
Registered
14,344 Posts

This is what Sinister is wearing. I think it matches his fur and his name perfectly :) I also that it could help keep his neck safe from loose dogs in my neighborhood. I love his collar :wub:

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Hmmm....I guess Anna gets a new collar every 3-6 months. I try to stick with girly things (she is a diva after all) so people might guess she's a girl!

We like pink, skulls, or anything that stands out. Most of the collars are fabric with a chain for the martingale style. Although I think we could probably get away from the martingales now, I still like the way they look.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, I love Stillwater collars, J has the red/black seatbelt collar... If I ever get the spare cash I'd like to get him the "Monster" Collar from Bochini Pet Designs...

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
No collars on my girls I don't see the need for them pluss I don't like them they mess up their hair.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I bought break-away collars since I have two big puppies...but they seem so hard to break-away I haven't put them on. For walks they use the gentle harness that has the tether on the chest. They will deifinitely be wearing the collars when we do go camping w/ their tags tho..

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
How do I decide? Easy. I don't. I buy or make new collars whenever the fancy strikes me. When I have one I haven't used in some time, either because I've gotten tired of the design or because I no longer like it for another reason, I usually donate them to a rescue or shelter, or give them away on Craig's List.

Both my girls have flat leather collars with brass name plates. The collars are $5 ones from Gun Dog Supply, and the name plates were from the farm supply store. Those collars are great. All I have to do to maintain them is throw some saddle soap on them and a bit of leather treatment every so often.

Our currently used collars are blue padded ones I got at the PX for $6 each. They're really nice and very comfortable for them to wear. They even have a woven-in reflective stripe.

Switching tags over is easy ... I zip-strip them.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Pink and brown for Ava right now! She will always have pink! She's a girly girl! LOL. I even have a pink lunge line picked out for when she gets older for walks. hehehe

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
LOL, Collars aren't left on all the time... How do you walk your dogs? lol
I have old time nylon choke type colors attached to their leashes and slip it over their heads and off we go and slip it off when we are done.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Chevy has a blue collar and Shya has a pink collar. They've had them for awhile now. I haven't seen any that have really caught my eye lately. They do wear different bandanas though :) Right now Chevy has a camo one on and Shya has a pink/yellow/orange that says Peace and Love. Back to collars, I like the click style versus the buckle and they are left on ALL the time. Their tags are on the collars **just in case** they were to get out. It's for their own safety and my piece of mind. The leashes do not match the collars--we have brown leather leashes that I really like.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I really want a pink Collar for Molly but cannot find any to fit her for the life of me! So she has a purple one which I'm not that fussed on but has a pink lead....it's so pretty!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
My dogs only wore collars when we go off the property~BUT now I am using shoo!tags to repel ticks so I went and bought thin Lupine nylon collars for the tags as they aren't supposed to rub on other tags.
I color coordinated them to the coat colors, Onyx has a black and silver, Karlo's is lime green and brown, Kacies is pink, orange and turquise flutterbys.
I don't like collars on the dogs for their own safety and to keep the coat nice looking, never have had a problem grabbing one by the scruff if I needed to.
I keep the "off property" collars w/tags in reach in case I needed to put one on quick.
I tend to spend my $ on the training lines, harness, aggitation collar instead of the fashionable ones.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
J has his chain on whenever I'm around, for safety... Never when I'm gone. I want something I can grab if I need to.

I like overdone collars for J... Just my personal preference, it's not because I want to look tough, I just like it. I am getting my 12lb dog a spiked collar because I like the look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we first got River, my wife and I argued over what color collars to get. She wanted girly pink, and I wanted something less girly; brown, black, even red. But after a while, I got annoyed with people assuming River was a male, so I now prefer the pink collars as well.

Any online vendors that you'll prefer? I haven't found any yet, but I'm looking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts