German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a fabric type collar with a clip that seems to be causing bald patches around our pups neck - we will start taking her collar off whilst at home but what type is best to stop this hair loss?

Any other tips are welcome :)

·
Registered
27,302 Posts
Rolled leather collars are easier on the coat. Best to only have a collar on when the leash is attached, safer for the pup!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I always put a bandana on my puppy just to get them use to having a collar on but I only put a collar on for walks.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Stosh is long coated so he wears a rolled leather collar and for walks on the leash he wears the fur saver collar- both work great, no damage to the fur. Looks like Elisabeth already saved you the trouble of looking them up yourself!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks people - she's only 13 and a half weeks old but I think another issue is that her collar isnt wide enough - what sort of size should I be getting?

Her current collar is about a cm and a half wide? She isn't getting any smaller after all!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Could she maybe be allergic to the nylon? Or could the collar be too tight? I've never had this issue.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Good point! I once bought a nylon collar with reflective material on it and my pup's eye got all swollen. The vet couldn't figure out why, then he causally mentioned the new collar- that was it!! The vet recommended washing nylon collars twice in warm/hot water before using but I chucked it out and went with the rolled leather

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think its too tight because we have always kept to the two finger rule.

The patches of hair loss seem to be on the underneath only - my guess is because the collar might be too skinny and rubbish material so when she pulls it just takes the hair out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts