German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
@tc68 I was talking about inside the house no collar but if you need one on you have to do what works for you. He would be dead also with wearing a collar if he does not listen to you outside. Lol I do get it though - my second thread I ever posted on this forum was about Max darting out the front door - if the kids left it open or did not shut it right- running after wild life- he would chase a herd of deer, feral cats - we live across from and in the woods. A lot of impulse control work waiting to retrieve balls, waiting patiently for his meal until okay is given , waiting to exit the front door etc. free Susan Garret’s recaller videos, on a long lines training without then with distractions in the feral cat community across the street and eventually proofed with e collar helped with proofing recalls around wild life outdoors. Also leave it- when I see Max pick up scent of a pack of wild deer. He is quite intense. Time and patience it took and many mistakes along the way.

·
Registered
844 Posts
@tc68 I was talking about inside the house no collar but if you need one on you have to do what works for you. He would be dead also with wearing a collar if he does not listen to you outside. Lol I do get it though - my second thread I ever posted on this forum was about Max darting out the front door - if the kids left it open or did not shut it right- running after wild life- he would chase a herd of deer, feral cats - we live across from and in the woods. A lot of impulse control work waiting to retrieve balls, waiting patiently for his meal until okay is given , waiting to exit the front door etc. free Susan Garret’s recaller videos, on a long lines training without then with distractions in the feral cat community across the street and eventually proofed with e collar helped with proofing recalls around wild life outdoors. Also leave it- when I see Max pick up scent of a pack of wild deer. He is quite intense. Time and patience it took and many mistakes along the way.
Yeah, I'm working on a lot of things with him including impulse control. That's a tough one for him especially with food and treats. Balls and disks, he can do.
I throw the ball and tell him to stay. He'll stay until I release him. Food and treats are a different story. He's got some resource guarding issues that I've been working on. It's a lot better now. He doesn't growl at me anymore. I still won't take his food away though. When I have treats, he'll snap it quickly out of my hand. So the impulse control there is a work in progress.

I've got my 80-some years old parents living with me and sometimes they get absent minded and leave doors or garages open. And at this point, the dog is way faster and maneuverable than they are. So that's another reason I have to keep the collar on at all times. He's darted out past them a couple of times and I've been lucky because he loves going for car rides more than he does running loose in our neighborhood.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Jesus! I hope everyone commenting here found a way to actually train their dog!

I use a collar, flat, which I now leave on my dog always because we are now travellers. That is, every day we're in a new location and I don't want her to EVER get lost!

It's all good, but her collar has all my contact info and her name on it, so yeah, it's on her 24/7!

It's worth the risk IMHO!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts