German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is Amber she was just spayed 3 days ago. Day 2 we decided to get her this 42EBF16E-B209-4906-B183-71B53071E9EA.png By that night she torn a strap and try to get to her incision. So needless to say back in the Econe. I am looking into options because as you see here her nose doesn’t reach out any where near close enough to be able to eat or drink. Thus I have to take it off frequently(fully supervised)but that doesn’t mean she won’t try, thankfully very rarely. I’m not opposed to the cone I just would like her to have a bit more freedom. Vet says she has at least 7 more days to protect the wound. Does anyone have any experience with any other options??
Like these maybe. TIA for advice

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Hi the comfy cone Elizabethan collar worked great and did not seem to mind it at all.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Just a bit of advice - when you do try something new, watch her VERY CLOSELY for the first little while, to make sure it works! Some dogs can be very good at getting around something like this, and she sounds like she's one!
I have heard of females ripping out stitches after a spay until their insides were hanging out of the incision! o_O

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Her cone looks wider than her bowls so If you place the bowls away from any walls and raise them about 5 inches (a board or books, magazines. Etc) she should be able to eat and, drink with the cone on.

My guy had surgery recently and wore the same collar your girl has on. As long as his water bowl was full, he drank comfortably. Only issue is a wet neck afterwards. I made sure to dry him. I did take it off for meal time.

It may work for your girl.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tip raising her bowls. Gonna put em on some blocks now :giggle:

Just a bit of advice - when you do try something new, watch her VERY CLOSELY for the first little while, to make sure it works! Some dogs can be very good at getting around something like this, and she sounds like she's one!
I have heard of females ripping out stitches after a spay until their insides were hanging out of the incision!
Her cone looks wider than her bowls so If you place the bowls away from any walls and raise them about 5 inches (a board or books, magazines. Etc) she should be able to eat and, drink with the cone on.

My guy had surgery recently and wore the same collar your girl has on. As long as his water bowl was full, he drank comfortably. Only issue is a wet neck afterwards. I made sure to dry him. I did take it off for meal time.

[/QU

·
Super Moderator
4,947 Posts
Hi the comfy cone Elizabethan collar worked great and did not seem to mind it at all.
You can get an inflatable collar that serves the same purpose an the Elizabethan collar.
I've actually had to use two inflatables at the same time with my big-boy. He could reach around just one. Two was plump enough to become a nice nap pillow and still restrict his reach without restricting his vision.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
I second the Comfy cone. It has straps so you can weave a collar through them and it won’t come off. My male dogs always have wanted to pull the cone off the females at different times, so attaching it to the collar prevented that. I have one large and one extra large for different sized dogs. You want it slightly longer than the dog‘s nose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I second the Comfy cone. It has straps so you can weave a collar through them and it won’t come off. My male dogs always have wanted to pull the cone off the females at different times, so attaching it to the collar prevented that. I have one large and one extra large for different sized dogs. You want it slightly longer than the dog‘s nose.

My concern with the comfy collar was that she’d be able to figure out bending it to get to her wound

1 - 10 of 10 Posts