Votes: 19 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since many of us have been frustrated with another thread regarding chaining an unsupervised puppy to a dog house all day I figured I'd post a poll about collar safety.

I guess I'm upset with the poster because I've had several friends whose dogs have been killed or injured in collar accidents. A friend's WGSD was killed/hanged on a nail in his backyard; Mac's brother was killed/hanged with a flat collar in his pen; my sister's neighbor's dog was killed/hanged on the fence; my vet's brother's dog was killed/hanged with a flat collar in his pen; another friend's GSD was killed/hanged when she left her just for a minute while she dashed in the house to go to the bathroom are a few I can think of at this time.

I've also known people, including my own sister, whose dogs were playing and one got a jaw caught in a collar but had a happy ending.

You may vote for as many options as apply!

·
Registered
514 Posts
My next door neighbor's dog was killed due to her leaving him chained up in the backyard. The poor thing hung himself on the fence. I didn't know her or the dog when it happened, it was 20+ years ago. She hasn't had a dog since.

I make sure to take Remy's collar off once he is in the house or in the yard. We only have it on when we are on walks and away from home.

It's a sort of catch22 because I am worried about him potentially escaping out the front without a collar, but I also don't want him hurting himself.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My aunt's Boxer jumped the fence and got caught at the top and hung himself.

My mom's friends Shar Pei did the same thing, both of them died. :(

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I have had multiple accidents.... when I was there supervising. Luckily no injuries.
--Tags caught in floor vent, dog walks over to me with floor vent hanging from collar.
--2 playfighting and lower jaw of one hung in the collar of the other.
--Jump up on gate and get links of fursaver caught on top curlique of gate

A lady I knew always left her Golden Retriever on a suspended runner and he somehow got over it, hung himself and was found dead.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
WOW this is all so scary :( . I do not personally know of anyone who has had a dog with a collar accident, but this has really got me worried.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
I haven't had any accidents with my big dogs, but had an Italian Greyhound get his jaw caught under the collar of my other IG. If I hadn't been sitting right there while they were playing, I'm pretty sure I would've had at least one dead dog.

My dogs are all naked at home now.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I must admit that so far I'm shocked at the results of this poll. I didn't realize so many people know of dogs who have had some type of collar accidents ... IMHO this is really frightening.

When I posted the poll I assumed that the total for the "NO I don't know of any dog harmed by collars" question would have the highest total with a split among the other three questions. I guess it proves you should never assume.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My little JRT somehow got her collar hung up on a mini blind. Thankfully we got her free before she was injured but it sure was a close call. She was choking and gasping and my husband had to cut her collar off. Another minute or two an we would've had a dead dog. No collars now expect when away from home, though i have just ordered some breakaway collars to try - i hate them being wihtout tags.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The only collar I would leave on my dogs is a breakaway collar for dogs! This way if the dogs play and the collar gets snagged it will just pop off. I've seen them get their jaws stuck in the collar before and also tags stuck and that worried me too much!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I have seen dogs get their jaws stuck in their collars. Wolfie got his dog tags stuck once, but he broke free, thank goodness. Now he only wears his collar when I am supervising him. On the subject of leaving a puppy or dog chained to a dog house unsupervised, my father did this and his dog was struck by lightening and was killed. The lightening hit a nearby tree and traveled down the dogs chain and electrocuted the dog.

·
Registered
179 Posts
After reading posts on the forums..I have ordered breakaway collars and all of my dogs wear them now...I am not comfortable with them not having any id tags on....just in case

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The only dog I know personally who had a collar accident was hanged by a prong collar but managed to get loose. This Husky/Shepherd/? mix was left in the backyard on a tie-out with a prong collar by a woman who rescued dogs. The fence was a 6 foot wooden fence with a 4 foot chain link inside it (the chain link was their old fence that they never removed.)
She climbed the fence but the tie-out was not long enough to reach all the way to the ground on the other side. A friend of mine happened to be walking past and saw the dog struggling as she hung down near the top of the fence! My friend ran over and as she did the dog managed to struggle herself loose (two of the prongs disconnected from each other) and she was able to grab the dog. She took the dog to her house and called me since I knew the rescuer. She ended up adopting the dog.

The only other incidents I've seen are with my cats, they have breakaway collars so they never hurt themselves but I have found one of my their collars hanging stuck near the top of my Sugar Glider's cage (the tag was caught through the bars) and another collar hanging from the fireplace where it got caught and came loose.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only other incidents I've seen are with my cats, they have breakaway collars so they never hurt themselves but I have found one of my their collars hanging stuck near the top of my Sugar Glider's cage (the tag was caught through the bars) and another collar hanging from the fireplace where it got caught and came loose.
Darn, I wish I had thought about including a category for cats and other animals in the survey. This just proves that collars can be dangerous regardless of the species.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My Vinnie somehow got his collar caught on kitchen cupboard door handle while he was drinking his water a couple of years ago I couldn't believe my eyes when he came walking through to me with this door hanging from his collar yep he just took the door of the hinges and came through with this look of oops didn't know I was that strong mum

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
arycrest,,why not start another poll with that very topic?????:)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I don't know of any dogs (only from the Forum) personally that had accidents with the collar, but than again, I only know very responsible dog handlers that wouldn't chain a dog to the dog house all day long.

Mine wear their collar 24/7. Even the puppy does, we've never had ANY accidents. We also never had any accidents at my parents place.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I have seen dogs get their jaws stuck in their collars. Wolfie got his dog tags stuck once, but he broke free, thank goodness. Now he only wears his collar when I am supervising him. On the subject of leaving a puppy or dog chained to a dog house unsupervised, my father did this and his dog was struck by lightening and was killed. The lightening hit a nearby tree and traveled down the dogs chain and electrocuted the dog.
If they can get their Jars stuck in their collar they are wearing the wrong collar. That is for sure!:help:

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
IMHO you are more likely to have an accident in losing a dog due to NOT wearing a collar with ID tags than due to a collar "accident."

Not everyone takes dogs to the vet to be scanned for a chip, in fact, many people I have come across rehoming "found" dogs haven't had them scanned for a chip.

And I agree Mrs. K, I've never known anyone to have a dog have a collar accident, nor have I myself, and if a dog can get it's jaws stuck under another ones collar, the collar wasn't fitted properly.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts