German Shepherds Forum banner

Collar Accidents involving cats and other non-canines

• NO I don't know of any cat or other non-canine harmed by collars

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • YES I know of a cat or other non-canine who had an accident but was not injured

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • YES I know of a cat or other non-canine who was injured by a collar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES I know of a cat or other non-caninee who was killed by a collar

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone suggested we start another collar poll directed at cats and other animals (other than dogs) who have, or have not, had an accident involving collars.

You may vote for as many options as apply!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I voted "no"

All the cats I have had or known have always worn "safety collars" so that if/when they get caught they'll pop off.

I have had many cats lose their collars - but I can't say with any certainty if they would have been injured/killed if they weren't wearing the safety collar (or if they just pulled it off themselves!)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also voted NO! I knew someone who put a collar on a baby bunny and forgot to check it as the bunny grew. When the bunny started acting like he was having problems they checked and had to cut the collar off, however, I conside this negligence, not an accident.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have heard that cats cannot be "hanged" (meaning they can't die from strangulation) but what if they get caught somewhere and can't be found? Or found by a bigger creature?
My pets are all microchipped and tattooed. When they're not being superviced, they're naked.
One of my neighbors actually warned me about me allowing Jax to chew on his collar (it was a cool collar that was still too big for him) and told me her dog used to do the same thing and got his jaw stuck in the collar, and had been like that the whole day while they were at work.
I suppose the same thing could happen to a non-canine?

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have 2 cats that do not have a collar on but I have one cat (my favorite) that has a breakaway collar. I do not know anyone that has had a problem with cats and collars but I do know 2 people that lost their dogs to hanging because of dog collars :(

·
Registered
66 Posts
I voted yes; I know of a cat that was killed due to a collar, but maybe I misinterpreted the poll. I have never OWNED a cat that had an accident involving a collar, but certainly have heard of MANY incidences of cats being choked by their collars, and personally know of a cat that died when she got her collar caught in a chain-link fence and panicked, and ultimately choked herself. :(

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I voted yes; I know of a cat that was killed due to a collar, but maybe I misinterpreted the poll. I have never OWNED a cat that had an accident involving a collar, but certainly have heard of MANY incidences of cats being choked by their collars, and personally know of a cat that died when she got her collar caught in a chain-link fence and panicked, and ultimately choked herself. :(
That's okay - you don't have to be the owner of an animal involved in a collar accident, just knowing of an animal that was injured or killed is fine!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know of any animal that's been killed or injured by their collar and if it's a concern, they make breakaway collars for both dogs and cats. (The dog ones sometimes have two hooks on each side too, so when walking them, it won't break.)

I've had my cat pop his collar a few times, when he got his toy stuck in it and once when he was caught on the top of the fridge. It pops, he walks free like nothing happens and gets it back on.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I think the thing that is as dangerous and maybe even more so than leaving collars on dogs is the idiot people who leave nylon halters on horses, I personally know of several horses that broke their necks that way, they have breakaway halters as well. In light of the fact that everyone who has horses knows they are on a suicide mission the minute they are foaled, you would think more people would know this, the problem is people think it won't happen to them. :mad:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
All my cats wear collars, but they are breakaway or stretch collars. I've found a collar hanging off a high place twice, actually the same cat's collar and I've found the collars laying on the ground before where they probably had a scuffle or play-fight and the collar disconnected. They are all microchipped also but I prefer to have visible ID on them in addition to the chips.

·
Registered
33 Posts
With a Siberian, he HAS to have a collar on at all times because they will run away at any given chance and I don't want to chance him darting out the door one day without any ID. He is Microchipped, but it's an ISO standard 15 digit chip and a lot of American shelters only have the 9 digit and may just put him down.

He is trained to sit and wait in the doorway, but he's very excitable and I don't want to just leave it up to training with this breed.

Now the GSD Sibe mix I may be picking up, because of the GSD in her is a little more obedient, but I don't just want to chalk it up to chance again!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I voted no, but we had a siamese that was always getting himself in deep trouble. One day we couldn't find him for many hours, though we searched everywhere, inside and out. When it was almost dark, I heard a weak meow from a far corner of the yard. There he was, hanging by his sternum (not the collar) from the top "prong" of the chain link fence!!! He was obviously bleeding and hurt. We rushed him to the vet, he got a couple of stitches and was thankfully fine.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
With a Siberian, he HAS to have a collar on at all times because they will run away at any given chance and I don't want to chance him darting out the door one day without any ID. He is Microchipped, but it's an ISO standard 15 digit chip and a lot of American shelters only have the 9 digit and may just put him down.

He is trained to sit and wait in the doorway, but he's very excitable and I don't want to just leave it up to training with this breed.

Now the GSD Sibe mix I may be picking up, because of the GSD in her is a little more obedient, but I don't just want to chalk it up to chance again!
There's a siberian cat?? ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hmm, oops. Misread the title! I should be posting in the other one. lol

Anyway, I DO have a cat and he's also prone to darting out the door, same deal with the microchip being ISO standard. He's popped his collar twice, though if it weren't a breakaway he may have had an issue :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts