German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
It might be a daft question, but at what sort of temperatures should you consider putting a coat on your furry friend?
It's around 5C or 41F here at the moment and our little girl is 6 months old.
I know I'll be putting a coat on, but does she need a coat on as well or should she be OK?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kias is out in 20 F for as long as he feels like it. Wind chill: we're getting hyper winds that make it feel like 7F when it's 25 or so. I just take him in after I feel like he's had enough time or seems to be getting cold. Usually the dog tells you when he starts to feel the temp. Here's a couple link that might help:
Just look for signs of uncomfortable behavior. That's the warning that she needs some extra covering or needs to go in.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Karma LOVES being outside in the cold and snow! It doesn't seem to bother her at all. Me? I monitor her behavior via the window while sipping on coffee (fenced in back yard). Most of the time i am the one calling her inside while her snout if covered in snow

·
Registered
208 Posts
At 6 months she should already be pretty fine in the cold for an hour or two. My 16 week old puppy spends about 4 hours a day outside and it has been as cold as -15c here. Are you taking her out for exceptionally long? If not she should be fine, and probably won't ever need a coat once she grows up, especially in your more mild climate. Sometimes the only thing to consider would be using booties if she is walking a lot on ice and road salt, because it can irritate their paw pads.

·
Registered
316 Posts
GSDs are very hardy to low temperature. I've had outside GSDs that were never inside year around (I'm in Michigan) with temps regularly getting down to teens (F) or -15C. They had no desire to come inside either. So you have nothing to worry about at that temperature and wouldn't worry about a coat ever if you are in the UK

·
Registered
534 Posts
She should be fine if you're just talking about a few hours. In fact, she may well prefer it nice and chilly. 5C isn't all that cold--not even freezing. For what it's worth, 3-month-old Kodi enjoys about the same temp and we'll take him hiking for a couple of hours or let him play outside with our 3-year-old dog Jack.

Unless you live in the Great White North where it can get to -30C or worse, you won't ever need a coat for your dog. They'll revel in the cooler temperatures and you'll find once you've been through a year or two of having your dog, they get frisky and energetic when it starts getting colder outside.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It has been right around freezing he and my 4-month-old pup now loves it outside. We stay outside as long as he looks comfortable which can be more than an hour. The thing I do look out for is standing water or slush. Once his feet have been emersed in the water I try to get him inside the car to warm up and dry out. He doesn't seem to mind the wet feet, but after we get home he kind of picks at his feet all evening as if something feels weird.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Doberman from Fine Line Family K-9 and he's doing very well but he shivers when it is very cold. I can feel that and I cover him with his winter coat. You just need to monitor their behavior.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Agis is around 6 months old (GSD/Rott mix) and he LOVES the cold. It was -15C this morning and he was rolling around in the snow, no coat. We'll go skiing with him later today, no coat. If she's too cold she'll shiver or lift her paws. But I would be surprised if she needs one in 5C.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts