German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went cold turkey yesterday with raw chicken.. He loved it at the time, when he pooped it was a bit loose and a change in color, a lighter greener color..

A few hours ago I woke up to a crate full of vomit/runny stools.. I said okay this might be a change of diet issue so I didn't care, cleaned it up (yay lol) so I gave him a portion of raw chicken for breakfast he didn't eat it, infact he threw up a little later, also doesn't eat dry food just drinks water.

Although he did sit near them and like "guarded" them. Should I just leave the chicken and eventually he will eat them? He doesn't seem different just a loss of appetite.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Fiona makes me cook her chicken, before she will eat it. But this may not be just a change in diet. Not sure what it could be. If you end up cooking the chicken, remember no cooked bones.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
How is he doing?
Was the vomit in the crate with food, or just bile?
I hope he is not allergic to chicken.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Take the fat off:)

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
What chicken part did you feed him and how much?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fed him a neck and a foot and a neck bone without the extra meat, the neck did Have some fat, I'm gonna feed him breakfast in an hour should I. Get rid of all the white meat?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After the incident I del him a lot less, and 5 hours before bed time instead of 3, if went good! Stool is back to a hard state but still greenish!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the incident I del him a lot less, and 5 hours before bed time instead of 3, if went good! Stool is back to a hard state but still greenish!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That's good news :). Keep us posted.

Whatever they don't eat in one feeding is best to pick back up and refrigerate. Feed again later. You don't want them guarding their food, or the germs growing on the raw meat in your home :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's good news :). Keep us posted.

Whatever they don't eat in one feeding is best to pick back up and refrigerate. Feed again later. You don't want them guarding their food, or the germs growing on the raw meat in your home :)

Yes he guarded them yesterday! And well I don't know how much fat to take off, I took them all off from the neck but kept the fat on the head, I took off the beak though.

I do not own a scale so I'm doing a portion of a rule of thumb, breakfast is a neck+head with a neck bone with little meat, lunch is a foot or two, dinner is like breakfast but without fat at all, and around 4 hours before bed time.

Hopefully in a week or two ill include ground beef, if I can get my hands on lungs or heart I will, I'll be putting that 3 days a week and chicken 4. It will be costing me 60$ a month at that point though.

Hopefully when I get to the point of a huge variety I'll include things like yogurt , eggs, liver, beef, chicken, goat/lamb and probably fish. But the chicken will be given more than others.

Unlucky for me liver and hearts and brains are wanted here in Lebanon so it's going to cost me like 12$ for a kilo of goat liver.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can anyone help me? You can say I have an unlimited supply of chicken feet necks and boneless meat, I will start adding ground beef next week.

Can anyone suggest a balanced diet given my supplies for a breakfast lunch and dinner meal plan? I'm still kinda afraid I might be doing it wrong and I do not want to mess anything up!

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Aim for 2-3% of estimated adult weight i.e. - 2-3lbs daily intake if 100lb (JUST and example) - divide into 3 meals

or 5-8% of current weight

60% muscle meat
40% RMB's
10% offal meat (liver, kidney)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It looks like Lauri's site is down for maintenance at the moment...but watch here: www.rawdogranch.com. I think it's my favorite raw feeding site, and then I joined the forum and saw that she's a member too!

There's no need to rush to add the beef. Stick with a single protein source for a couple of weeks each time you introduce something new. Like chicken for two weeks...then introduce beef...Lauri explains it all much better on her website. It's been a while since I started, so I can't recall which protein is best to introduce second, after the chicken.

Raw feeding is exciting and people get going on it and really mix it up. All you really need to do is follow the simple formula GatorBytes shared, using one prey animal at a time, until you have gradually introduced all the different protein sources to your dog's system.

Also, I think the chicken feet are more like supplements/treats than a meal. But I won't swear to that.

Watch that you're not giving too much bone...it can cause painful constipation. The 40% RMB means about 40% of what she eats in a week should be raw Meaty bones (not bones with the meat taken off). 60% of what she eats in a week should be meat without any bones in it. The remaining 10% of her diet should be organs (liver/kidney). I like to serve the organs with other meat, because given alone they are very rich and you could have looooose stools.

What I do is take a week's supply of meat in the proportions described above, package it up into meals, and serve. You don't have to follow those proportions every day or at every meal...just over the course of several days. Though I do try to avoid serving RMBs two days in a row...to avoid constipation.

Good luck :)

Is he still doing better today??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Is he still doing better today??
Yes he is thank you for asking! The stool is a bit hard but nothing like a powdery or white feature described. My friend gives me organs and limbs of chicken he doesn't use in his restaurant, so I'm set for like on chicken.

But I do not have a scale that measures the food weight, so I'm kinda guessing on the portions I give him! I'm taking off the fat from the chicken necks. Should I keep them?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Well, they need some fat. I think the advice to cut the fat was because it might have been causing the loose stools.

If his stool is firm now, you can try leaving a little on there, and work your way back up.

The chicken leg quarters (leg attached to thigh) they sell here is the US weigh about 1.25-1.5 lbs each. A whole chicken weighs about 6-7 lbs. Ask your restaurant friend how much his whole chickens weigh, and you can estimate what a portion of the chicken weighs. Or maybe you can order a scale online if you can't find one in the shops?

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
As I said before, feet have bones and cartilage and no muscle meat.
Feet would be considered recreational treats, not a meal at all.
Whatever necks you give him, have the same size portion of muscle meat. This means breast meat or thigh meat.
Please look at the link below. Your puppy is growing, and feeding him necks and feet at meals will not give him the proper nutrition.
http://leerburg.com/pdf/feedingrawdiet.pdf

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well okay, this is his meal, don't mind the chicken head, I cut it off the neck and hadn't thrown it away yet :p

ImageUploadedByPG Free1370597632.574220.jpg

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Do not throw away the neck.
He needs it.
As for heart, that is considered muscle, not organ met.
Not a lot of liver is necessary. You can see if he likes kidney, if that is cheaper. Start with a piece the size of a coin.
Are you reading the information we are providing?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do not throw away the neck.
He needs it.
As for heart, that is considered muscle, not organ met.
Not a lot of liver is necessary. You can see if he likes kidney, if that is cheaper. Start with a piece the size of a coin.
Are you reading the information we are providing?
Yes of course. I've read so many articles but the varieties and combinations make me so stressed on what to pick :p actually I have made a deal with my butcher..

I can get the lungs and hearts for a good price, but the liver is very demanded in Lebanon, heck I eat it once a week! (Also things such as goat spine marrow and goat brains, and beef intestines stuffed with meat and rice) A kilo is about the same price as beef. 12$!

Well then maybe I'll cut the beak only, and I won't by feet anymore seeming they are useless. But I sent a picture to see if the proportion size looks alright since I don't have a scale.

But on a good note his energy level has risen dramatically and his stools are improving!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts