Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heidi Hemmat Investigative Reporter
KDVR
Dever, CO

Colorado company accused of selling untrained service dogs

Quotes from the newpaper article:

Tina Rivero owns “Noelle’s Dogs Four Hope,” in Colorado Springs. She sells peanut-sniffing dogs and seizure response dogs across the country. ...

She did agree to have her handlers demonstrate her dog’s skills. Seizure dog, Alice, would not fetch medicine even when it was thrown on the ground like a ball.

And then there’s Gunner, a peanut-sniffing dog that could not locate the peanut products strategically throughout a room. ...

There is no regulation on service dog companies, so experts say you should do your homework, talk to other service dog owners and get the training credentials of the person who will teach your dog.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-colorado-company-accused-of-se-110910,0,7407967.story

http://www.noellesangeldogs.org/index.html

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
finally she's getting bad press. She's been doing this for years. Been in and out of the news for the last couple years for the same problems. only now instead of snippets, she's getting a full segment of bad press. I'm sorry, if i'm spending 7K on a dog thats supposed to do a specific task or a set of tasks, they had BETTER do it!!!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She did agree to have her handlers demonstrate her dog’s skills. Seizure dog, Alice, would not fetch medicine even when it was thrown on the ground like a ball.
For $7,000. you would at least expect the dog to do a nice "fetch".

The most that I ever received for working with a SDIT on retrieving an item was the grateful handler gave me a gallon of fresh milk from his small herd and told me to come back anytime for some more. Guess a dog that can not only retrieve but also place the item in the handler's lap should be then considered a $10,000. dog. :rolleyes: Humm.... I should have held out for a gallon of chocolate milk.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A report from a 2nd source /quote:

In Your Corner 4
Scott Hines
Thursday November 11

So far...our investigation has turned up complaints in Colorado, California, and Nevada. The family from Nevada even sent its peanut sniffing service dog back to Rivero after it ate peanuts...putting their allergic child at risk. To this point...Rivero has stayed mum on the matter... refusing to comment specifically on any of the complaints. She told a reporter with our sister station in Denver that she's wrongly accused and ALL of her service dogs are properly trained...with the exception of those dogs that are still in training...like the Matlack's dog. Trust me...this story is far from over.

In Your Corner 4

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
http://www.theledger.com/article/20100805/NEWS/8055058
By Gary White
THE LEDGER

Published: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.

Gary White can be reached at [email protected] or at 863-802-7518.
This story appeared in print on page A1
All rights reserved. This copyrighted material may not be re-published without permission. Links are encouraged.

And as for my daughters name or using any of her info....it may have been public, but the places that used the stories both had PERMISSION to say what they said...this forum however...does NOT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tabitha Cooke and her seizure alert dog

OK...first and foremost...whoever felt the need to post ANYTHING about my MINOR daughter without consent needs to remove it IMMEDIATELY before I contact an attorney. :mad:
Second...maybe you should do a bit more checking into things before jumping to conclusions about this company or their dogs.
Yes...my daughter is Tabitha Cooke. Yes...she received a dog (puppy) from Noelle's Dogs four Hope. Anything you felt the need to assume and therefore bash this company about is wrong or missing pertinent information. :smirk:
You want to know???? Here goes. Tabitha received Kiara (yes....it's a Disney name and my daughter absolutely loved the fact that she was able to pick the name from Disney names) back in October. Kiara was partially obedience trained....she was and is still a puppy. She was 3 months old when we got her. Was she a service dog? Nope...not yet.....Did she alert to Tab's seizures when we got her??? Nope...but has not only alerted to Tab's but to another man's seizures that she didn't even know. Did Noelle's train her for that??? Nope...and neither did we. NO company can train a dog to EVER do that. They (any company) cannot guarantee that the service dog that is paired with the person will even learn to do it. It's got nothing to do with the breed...it's all up to the dog. We are thrilled that Kiara has begun alerting at such an early age. Does that make her a service dog???? Still nope. But she will be making another trip back to Colorado for her service dog training. Then....and ONLY THEN....will she be a service dog....and since she is also alerting...she will have earned the title of SAD. If she was a German Shepherd she still may not ever alert.
The people that are sooooo unhappy with their dogs...for some strange reason thought that their puppy (which the reason they are sent as puppies is so they can have a stronger bond with their person...which can hopefully bring about a better chance of seizure alerting) was already a service dog which is completely ludicrous. Did they not read ANYTHING that they signed????? I think the issue here is that these unhappy people just weren't into the whole puppy thing....and used the BS as an excuse to bail. Can a puppy that is GOING to be trained as a peanut sniffing dog, already sniff them out? Of course not. Will it EAT a peanut??? Of course. It's a puppy. They will eat ANYTHING that is food. Since it hasn't been taught that peanuts are bad...why would it NOT eat it??? Is there anyone out there with half a brain to see this??? :sick:
Oh...and you stated the different dogs Tab had her choice of...you quoted from the newspaper...and conveniently left out the part where she was also offered a GERMAN SHEPHERD....but she didn't choose that breed after just dealing with the heartbreak of a different organization making promises...straight to HER...not to me....and then breaking ALL of those promises to my child. :confused:
As for the $7500....first of all, you do get a choice....if you don't want to train the PUPPY using the training workbook, than they will do it. If you choose, however, to do it yourself, than $1000 is knocked off the $7500 bringing it to $6500...which if you did ANY homework before posting your BS you would know is A LOT less expensive than the other places. I found the cheapest other one at about $18,000. And I know one person who got their dog from that place and it wasn't even fixed...so they had a female dog supposedly doing it's service dog thing...while in heat...and everyone knows that no matter how well trained a dog is....if it's in heat and a male approaches...all training goes out the window. :eek:
I've also encountered places where the dogs went for $25,000-$32,000. I did come across one place that offered them free...as long as you were willing to get rid of any other animals that you may have and sign an agreement to NEVER have any. :(
I'm sorry....I am very happy with Noelle's Angel Dogs Four Hope. I am also happy with both Tina and Noelle Rivero. They have ALWAYS been available to answer any questions that Tabbee or I have had and have helped us through any rough puppy spots. It is an awesome company and family that has kept their word on everything they said...which is more than I can say about a different one that we dealt with. :smirk:
Kiara and Tabbee are both bonding very well and Kiara will be going away for a bit for her training....we are both going to miss her terribly..but have every bit of faith that when she comes back to us she will be a full fledged service/seizure alert dog. Until then....she is Tabitha's baby....and she is loved for what she is. A service dog/puppy IN TRAINING!!!!! :)

And for the record I am forwarding this reply as well as the
whole thread to Noelle's Dog's Four Hopes attorney's.

·
Registered
254 Posts
There is a thousand things wrong with the above post, so much that I don't know where to begin.

I guess I'll just take the easy route and say that a 3 month old goldendoodle isn't a service dog (a goldendoodle isn't even a breed, so wherever she got it just contributed to the onslaught of BYB's and the downfall of so many breeds, but thats a whole other topic), and I have no idea why you would pay that amount of money for one. You could rescue a GSD, lab, golden, or mix of some kind for like 75 bucks, and then take it to a good trainer, or even board it, for around 500 bucks, give or take...and have like 3 times the dog?

As for mentioning you're daughters name, perhaps it wasn't necessary, but if it was in the public press then it definitely wasn't illegal...so I don't know what you're attorney has to do with anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you not read what I wrote??? She isn't a service dog. She will BE a service dog. She is in training....I don't have an issue with it...why do you? And as for my daughters name or using any of her info....it may have been public, but the places that used the stories both had PERMISSION to say what they said...this forum however...does NOT. I will not have anything negative associated with her name. You did NOT contact me for permission to use it, it was NOT approved by me. Remove it.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
actually once you have consented to any publication which is internet accessible (public record) it can therefore be used for reproduction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As for her breed...why don't you do a little reading on them before making your negative comments. She is the pup of a purebred standard poodle and a purebred golden retriever which results in an F1 Goldendoodle.
I just don't get why you would make such comments without doing any research at all.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Debbicia,
Your answer bumped a 4 month old thread into active topics ensuring that more people would read it. And a little googling shows that Noelle's dogs recently lost a case involving a peanut allergy.
Why dredge this up?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Debbicia,
Your answer bumped a 4 month old thread into active topics ensuring that more people would read it. And a little googling shows that Noelle's dogs recently lost a case involving a peanut allergy.
Why dredge this up?
Ugh...I didn't see the date, thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
it doesnt matter what the dogs mother was or what the father was. a golden doodle is still a mutt. Its still a mixed breed dog. As stated previously, you've also ensured more people will see this thread.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
and I have no idea why you would pay that amount of money for one. You could rescue a GSD, lab, golden, or mix of some kind for like 75 bucks, and then take it to a good trainer, or even board it, for around 500 bucks, give or take...and have like 3 times the dog?
Its not that easy. My current service dog was a rescue dog, but I was insanely lucky. It is not easy being a SD and many well bred dogs that are bred specifically for service work wash out and never make it through. On top of temperament, trainability, etc the dog also has to be very healthy. For a GSD, hips and elbows done is a MUST. And it costs much more than $500 to train a service dog, and approximately 1.5-2 years of training. I've spent around $2k on Tessa's training.

You can definitely find an appropriate dog in rescue to be a service dog... But its very hard and I appreciate how lucky I was.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
it doesnt matter what the dogs mother was or what the father was. a golden doodle is still a mutt. Its still a mixed breed dog.
Worth repeating. The goldendoodle is a cutesy name given to a mutt by combining the parents names. There is no breed standard, goal, or purpose other than money. The original idea was with purpose, to breed a service dog with lower amounts of dander yet that purpose failed because when you mix 2 breeds you don't get to choose which traits are passed on. And in a F1, or even F2 F3 F4 crossing... Traits are still all over the place. Come back when someones written up a breed standard and actually started trying to achieve something by putting the dogs together, and preferably came up with a new breed name instead of a ridiculous portmanteau.

·
Registered
6 Posts
REPLY To these Post on NDFH

First and formost, Whom every posted this original comment was wrong to do so with out the permission of the parent. :mad:
Second no one realizes the damage that they are causeing a child and the their ability to use their service dog IN TRAINING out in public and in the schools.:mad:
Third: let ME introduce myself. :) I AM the Director of Training for Noelle's Dog Four Hope and if you did your research on me you would find that I have 2 GSDs (not mixes! purebreeds) so to say that they do not use GSDs then you are not correct. I have been training dogs for over 28 years, I was an Animal Welfare Officer for several years, currently an AKC Evaluator, approved Service Dog Trainer through 2 different service dog organizations (that I provide proof to the people that I train their dogs), National Certified Dog Trainer, and Certified Basic Obedience, and Advanced Obedience Trainer. If you are intrested I have the ceritfications in my training faclity and anyone who wants to see them can stop by.

As the director of training I require all of the dogs to pass a basic obedience test, CGC, Public Access Test, and a detailed specility test for either seizures, or allergy testing.:smirk: I video all of these test!

And if you know of any resuce organizations that will work with us as a service dog organization then feel free to send them my way. I have contacted personally several and the comments that I have gotten is that they want their dogs to just be pets. I am tired of trying to get them to work with us so I have stopped. Here is my email, [email protected].

There are two sides to every story. Here is the the updated info on the person that was quoted in the negative story:
1. the dog in OK, NDFH emailed and called several times to have the person return the dog, No Reply from that person, so the person took to the dog to the local shelter, and the shelter was not told that it belonged to NDFH, the dog was EUTHANIZED shortly after intake. NDFH's attorney is working on this case. I personally investigated and got this information.

I ask that you use caution when speaking about people and their service dogs.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Second no one realizes the damage that they are causeing a child and the their ability to use their service dog IN TRAINING out in public and in the schools.:mad:
You don't use a service dog in training, you TRAIN a service dog in training. And they have no business being in the schools when not accompanied by their trainer. If they were at the level of training to make it appropriate, they would be service dogs and not service dogs in training.

I'm quite scared that a self proclaimed service dog trainer would be arguing a child should have the ability to take a dog in training to school. In many cases I disagree that child should take a service dog to school, and in the cases where I agree its best for the child it only makes their fight even harder when people try to take dogs that aren't ready.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Did you not read what I wrote??? She isn't a service dog. She will BE a service dog. She is in training....I don't have an issue with it...why do you? And as for my daughters name or using any of her info....it may have been public, but the places that used the stories both had PERMISSION to say what they said...this forum however...does NOT. I will not have anything negative associated with her name. You did NOT contact me for permission to use it, it was NOT approved by me. Remove it.
I don't have an issue with you, I have an issue with the lady making money in a very, very unscrupulous manner. There is absolutely NO reason you needed to pay that kind of price for such a dog, trained or not.

She should have referred you to a good breeder, or a rescue with a worthy dog, and made no money off the dog itself, and then let you bring it back for service dog training for a price closer to the $500-$1000 range.

^^^ that isn't even the optimal way to do it, but leaps and bounds better than what she is doing.

As for the goldendoodle, I don't need to research it--mixing two purebred dogs still results in a mutt with no standard temperament or predictable outcome, which is not ideal when searching for a service dog, and certainly not for $6500.

Again--I don't have a problem with you at all and if this decision satisfies you then I wish you well. But it doesn't negate the fact that what this lady is doing is UNETHICAL, and is hurting people and animals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
NDFH Director of Training

FYI 1 of my GSD's is compleating her training for scent work of peanuts, and she on 3/19/11 alerted on seizure with a total stranger, that works at ATT store in CO Springs. My sister was there to witness it. She also has been known to notify a close friend of mine of her low blood pressure and wake her up when she passes out. Her trained task include but not limited to turning on lights, opening doors, getting meds, hitting a 911 button, finding peanuts among other foods on the floor without being told to search, or having me point my finger at the location of the peanuts.

My other GSD is only 9 months and is still in training for his basic obedience test to be taken on 4/1/11, and working on his socialization to the public and other animals.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
You don't use a service dog in training, you TRAIN a service dog in training. And they have no business being in the schools when not accompanied by their trainer. If they were at the level of training to make it appropriate, they would be service dogs and not service dogs in training.

I'm quite scared that a self proclaimed service dog trainer would be arguing a child should have the ability to take a dog in training to school. In many cases I disagree that child should take a service dog to school, and in the cases where I agree its best for the child it only makes their fight even harder when people try to take dogs that aren't ready.

:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.