German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
What? How can a food help cognitive dysfunction? I would ask for the peer reviewed study proving that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi. That’s sad. What is CD in dogs?
Sorry I don’t know about Purina Products. Is it a prescription dog food that you buy from your vet?

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Their are supplements that supposedly help. But if a food really did help CD, don't you think people with dementia would be eating the same ingredients?

I would just do a search on supplements, dementia, canine. Which, since it's just a food, they will have these supplements such as omega 3 in the food.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'd probably research supplements that might help, over a food. Endurance exercise and certain mind games are known to reduce dementia in humans, so that's worth a look, too.

I've had dogs lose their senses as they got really old, and stand around looking lost, but that was close to the end, and we just helped them as needed.

·
4,485 Posts
wow, sorry to hear that about Justice. My Samantha had that. I didn't even realize it was a thing until after she passed away. Let us know if anything works. I don't think many people recognize this in their old buddies.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The vet is saying Justice has CD. They are suggesting I try a Purina food made for it. Justice has never been on a junk food but if its going to help her I want to give it. Does anyone have any experience with these foods and are they just snake oil?
How old is Justice?
When my former GSD Jake was about 12 he started pacing at night.
I knew the pacing at night behavior in people with Dementia is called Sun
Downing.

Jake’s vet said it’s called sun downing in dogs too. He prescribed Atavan for Jake to take at night. And that worked. He was able to settle and got the rest he needed at night. And that helped to make his daytime hours more enjoyable.

My point is that if Justice has CD due to age maybe she would be better off on a prescription drug that has proven success in treating cognitive issues in dogs.

I really hope all goes well for you and Justice and that she gets just the right thing that will help her...be it medicine or a change in diet.
Good luck and take care.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
too easy ---

fish oil - epa / dha
coconut oil
hemp oil which also provides Vit E

foods with alpha and beta carotene water soluble vitamin A - African red palm oil.

here is the Purina list of ingredients
Ingredients
Turkey, chicken meal (source of glucosamine), barley, oat meal, ground rice, brewers dried yeast, medium-chain triglyceride vegetable oil, dried egg product, fish meal, pea fiber, dried beet pulp, natural flavor, fish oil, pea protein, salt, potassium chloride, L-Arginine, Vitamin E supplement, niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A supplement, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), calcium pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin B-12 supplement, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), folic acid (Vitamin B-9), menadione sodium bisulfite complex (Vitamin K), Vitamin D-3 supplement, biotin (Vitamin B-7), zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), calcium carbonate, and choline chloride

MCT's sourced primarily from coconut oil, or butter , or palm oil. Butter, grass fed .

The same lipids that you would give to be neuroprotective against degenerative disease , DM , (several posts about this) would be real 8 isomer vitamin E, phosphatidylserine , sourced from sunflower seed (or soy) and liver and heart and kidneys (post of kidney to help produce red blood cells ) phosphatidylcholine precursor to neurotransmitter
egg yolk is a cource -- lecithin.

·
Registered
264 Posts
How old is Justice?
When my former GSD Jake was about 12 he started pacing at night.
I knew the pacing at night behavior in people with Dementia is called Sun
Downing.

Jake’s vet said it’s called sun downing in dogs too. He prescribed Atavan for Jake to take at night. And that worked. He was able to settle and got the rest he needed at night. And that helped to make his daytime hours more enjoyable.

My point is that if Justice has CD due to age maybe she would be better off on a prescription drug that has proven success in treating cognitive issues in dogs.

I really hope all goes well for you and Justice and that she gets just the right thing that will help her...be it medicine or a change in diet.
Good luck and take care.
I agree with Findlay. Find another vet that knows how to treat very old dogs that can start having anxiety issues related to the onset of dementia, Alzheimer's, chronic pain or just losing their senses like hearing which can cause anxiety. Unfortunately many vets have inadequate pharmacology training for this. My wife is an MD who specializes in this area so she actually told our vet what to prescribe. There are plenty of medications for old people that will have similar effects on cognitively affected senior dogs so they have quality of life. Of course the dosing will be different and these are prescription meds since they are controlled substances. Atavan is one of them and there are others. The vet may have to trial different ones on your dog to see which work best and has minimal side effects. One of our GSDs was on a similar drug from the age of 12 and lived to almost 16. And there is no diet that is a substitute for this so I would be highly skeptical of your vet's food recommendation.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
found this on a brochure that I have for a "focus" product

they are talking about vitamins and minerals then quote "together with phosphatidylserine, commonly known as PS is an essential lipidic component of the cerebral cellular membranes . Several studies show that PS supplements can support learning , memorising, cognitive capacities and cerebral concentration"

I am copying my list of natural sources for PS (previous post of mine)

"
The same lipids that you would give to be neuroprotective against degenerative disease , DM , (several posts about this) would be real 8 isomer vitamin E, phosphatidylserine , sourced from sunflower seed (or soy) and liver and heart and kidneys (post of kidney to help produce red blood cells ) phosphatidylcholine precursor to neurotransmitter

see I did not forget about this thread - lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so egg yolk would theoretically help if I read this right?

found this on a brochure that I have for a "focus" product

they are talking about vitamins and minerals then quote "together with phosphatidylserine, commonly known as PS is an essential lipidic component of the cerebral cellular membranes . Several studies show that PS supplements can support learning , memorising, cognitive capacities and cerebral concentration"

I am copying my list of natural sources for PS (previous post of mine)

"

see I did not forget about this thread - lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts