German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My girlfriend keeps telling me anytime I leave Cody with her he turns into the devil. She said he barks at her constantly, pulls the blankets off her, (haha) steals things of the coffee table he knows he shouldn't have, and paces around looking for me out the window.

She said if she gets on the floor and tries to play with him or entertain him that isn't what he wants, and continues raising ****. His antics stop the moment I return.

Is he just pist I left him? Bored? seperation anxiety?

How can she get him to calm down? I am the trainer, feeder, and exerciser so Cody is definitely more bonded to me, but he loves her too cuddles with her, and does listen to her commands most of the time. but when im gone it's like all bets are off and he's just mad i left him...

any thoughts?

thanks

Josh

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I bet if he could talk, when you're gone and she's trying to tell him what to do he'd be saying "You're not the boss of me...neaner, neaner.":)

It almost sounds like he looks at your gf as a playmate more than an authority figure or leader. Any chance you can start letting her do some training and maybe let her feed Cody sometimes?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bet if he could talk, when you're gone and she's trying to tell him what to do he'd be saying "You're not the boss of me...neaner, neaner.":)

It almost sounds like he looks at your gf as a playmate more than an authority figure or leader. Any chance you can start letting her do some training and maybe let her feed Cody sometimes?
Thanks for the thoughts WhiteShepherds. I think you're right. Cora (GF) does train them every couple days, but not to the extent I do. The meal thing is partially due to her work schedule, but she could feed dinner, so I'll suggest she does that from now on.

and both dogs definitely view me as the "discplinarian"

·
Registered
14,344 Posts

Yes, I bet that is exactly how he views her. Sinister doesn't listen to my cousin when I am not there.

You do everything with Cody, you feed, exercise, play and train him, so why should he listen to your girlfriend?

I agree with WhiteShepherds, she should start doing some training with him.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Laren...now to motivate the GF lol. She works long days, so afterward she basically is a couch potatoe, especially in the winter.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
I agree, she should start doing some training and feeding him. Wolfie used to do the same thing to my Hubby when I left. Hubby worked with Wolfie some, and now when I'm gone, Hubby says Wolfie just lays by the front door, looking out the glass and cries when he sees a car coming down the street, until I get home.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
awww, poor wolfie whining by the front door :(

Thank you. so the solution is clear. up to my GF to step it up now...

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
awww, poor wolfie whining by the front door :(

Thank you. so the solution is clear. up to my GF to step it up now...
Tell her shape up or ship out! :p

If you're looking for a new roomie, let me know. ;)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give her an altimatem (spell?) right away laren :)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Have you ever observed how Cora gives a correction? It's possible that Cody isn't taking her voice/demeanor seriously. What is her reaction when Cody, for example, grabs something he shouldn't have? Does a chase ensue or is he commanded to "drop it" in a stern and convincing manner?

Maybe the next time you guys are home together, let her be the one to correct Cody and see how she does it (assuming here that he's not perfect and does misbehave on occasion when you are home too). Observe her posture and pitch of voice, those can really make a difference.

Also, make sure that when she does give a command, she does not allow Cody to not comply. That's really important, because giving up when the dog is not listening to you only teaches the dog that it's okay to ignore that person.

"Parenting" a dog is a team effort, or at least is much easier as a team effort. I can understand that she's tired when she gets home, but if she wants Cody's behavior with her to change, she's going to have to do it herself. It's not something you can do for her.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts