German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so Codi came home from surgery today. It was successful. They removed her spleen, they tacked her tummy, and said they put something around her belly-they said she should never get bloat again. Her belly will not be able to expand-is that normal?
Here is a question - I completely understand she is sick and not feeling well at all-but 3 times now she went after our 5 month old gsd. Not just telling him to leave her alone kind of thing-but down right mean-i am scared now. Anyone have suggestions????

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I am glad she is home and doing better. I would think the best thing to do is keep them separated until she is 100% again. Can you crate her or put her in a quiet room?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, we can put her in a crate-i hate to though... who should we crate? her or puppy?

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
Absolutely put her in her own space and treat her like a queen for now. She needs to heal and the meds she is on may play into her behavior-along with the vet experience. She needs some time to decompress.
I am so glad she is home with you, what a scare!

I would give both of them equal out time, but not with each other. If the pup harasses her, then baby gates to separate the pup from her for now is what I'd do.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Maybe you can switch them on & off. She probably would like the comfort of her crate about now. Imagine having your insides flipped around and what not, ouch!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know, I want the baby to go to grandmas for a couple days-dh doesn't want to.. urgh!! She is 8.5 and i want her to get better in her own comfort..

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
Absolutely put her in her own space and treat her like a queen for now. She needs to heal and the meds she is on may play into her behavior-along with the vet experience. She needs some time to decompress.
I am so glad she is home with you, what a scare!

I would give both of them equal out time, but not with each other. If the pup harasses her, then baby gates to separate the pup from her for now is what I'd do.

YES. Even the most mellow, meek dog will try to protect themselves when so vulnerable.

I put my dog in an x-pen after his bloat surgery. Had pluffy blankets in it and he was very comfortable. I had instructions to keep him quiet for so many days post-op too - I can't remember how many days. Plus the small meals - which also need to be away from the other dog.

Crate, rotate, separate at all times for now. No interactions - would be bad for the adult and the pup.

ETA - has the "dh" ever had abdominal or any other surgery? did he want kids bouncing on his hospital bed? Running into him while he walked? Empathy answers a lot of questions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We got the old trusted baby gate out, and he is staying in one of the bedrooms.. he is not too happy, but is ok.. Codi is so weird looking....her eyes are so icky. my Codi is not here right now... :(

So thanks for the advice. We just were so shocked at how she went after puppy-for one -just the amount of aggressiveness, and then after this huge surgery I can't believe she was able to move the way she did.. Wow!!!! but she is sleepy in her crate and we have tv off in there and lights dimmed.. thinking about some light music-just to keep the banter of the rest of the house blocked...
Very thankful I have read so much about bloat-and we able to get her help. Shame of it is the er vet is about 30 minute drive...

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i wish Codi a speedy recovery. if it were me
i would crate the other dog and let Codi
have some space and freedom. then again should
Codi be confined so she doesn't move around so much?

your Vet is only 30 minutes away that's nothing.

Shame of it is the er vet is about 30 minute drive...

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Not only the pain, but the medications could be affecting her... My very mellow cat went psycho-demon on his best buddy while he was coming off of meds from surgery..

I'm so glad she's okay.. Give her time to heal and be off any meds before you put him with her. She didn't hurt him? No actual attacking?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I've been there. My female had a surgery when I brought home a puppy and let me tell you, we've had some major aggression issues. it took us a lot of time to get where we are now. It's been really bad and she did not only direct the aggression towards the puppy but towards other dogs.

While I can walk by other dogs I cannot let her play with any other dog except for my pack. Just two days ago she actually started playing with the puppy. The surgery is more than five months ago. She did not want to leave the house anymore, she excluded herself from the pack, she wouldn't play, she wouldn't run and chase like she used to. She was a completely different dog.

So keep your dog seperated from the pack, give her enough time and let her heal. She is probably traumatized from the surgery and it might actually get worse. I've been there, really. You do NOT want to go through the same, wondering if it's the best to rehome one of them. It will take a few months until she's coming around so give her the time she needs. She's hurt and the only way to keep the other dogs off of her is to go after them first.

I was at a point where I thought about rehoming her and when i made up my mind she changed. I had her with my parents and the seperation of the pack did wonders for us. They've been at my parents again and my male stayed there for a while, while I had the two girls with me. It was the best I could have done for them because something clicked and the two girls hit it off and now they are playing like little girls. I've never seen my girls so good with each other.

So keep the puppy away from the dog that just went through the surgery. It will not do any good. Trust me I am speaking from experience and I hope that nobody has to go through the same thing we did, ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts