German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've researched and read all the previous posts on the benefits of coconut oil. I wanted to get more recent, more update information on the benefits/effects of coconut oil. I picked up our 2 GSDs unrefined, mechanically pressed organic coconut oil. I'm getting start giving them a single tablespoon along with their usual egg tonite with dinner. We live here in the high desert, 29 Palms, and it seems to give them quite the itchy skin. I've been supplementing with a humidifier and an egg every other nite but decided to give the coconut oil a try after such great reviews.

I tried salmon oil, no luck. Tried linoleic fat oil, no luck. An egg and the humidifier seem to have helped but are not a cure all.

Any more recent information/studies out there?

Thanks!

-Kyle

·
Registered
813 Posts
Which salmon oil did you use? They are not all created equal :)

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
Ahhh, I wasn't seeing that post from doing google searches and forum searches. My apologies
No problem. :) Sometimes it's easier to go to the sub-forum that your topic pertains to, and just scroll through the list of recent threads than it is to use the search feature.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
You may also want to give Krill Oil a try along with your Coconut Oil (which BTW is GREAT).
Here is some info on it:
*Krill Oil is better absorbed
*Krill Oil is 48 more times effective than fish oil
*Krill Oil is better than other fish oils b/c the Omega-3’s are in the form of phospholipids which is the chemical structure that is the same one found in the walls of every cell in the body. Krill oil has a unique biomolecular profile that distinguishes it from other fish oils. While EPA and DHA in fish oils comes in the form of triglycerides, the EPA and DHA is already incorporated into phospholipids, which facilitates the passage of the fatty acids through the intestinal wall. This increases the bioavailability of the EPA and DHA and improves absorption and assimilation.”
*Krill Oil contains Astaxanthin which is a powerful antioxidant and is also an anti-inflammatory. “Astaxanthin is a carotenoid-type of antioxidant that is even more powerfu than beta-carotene, alpha-tocopherol, lycopene and lutien.”
*They are harvested young, so they don't have time for their bodies to absorb the toxins that adult harvested fish do.

***Always make sure the product you purchase is “Certified” and tested for PCB’s- Lead, Mercury, toxins, purity, freshness and cleanliness. Most “Pet” products don’t do this so a human grade product has better quality. An example of “Third Party Certification” (which is important) would be IFOS

This can be given 3 to 4 times weekly.

Hope these things can help your Fur Baby!
Moms:)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
You may also want to give Krill Oil a try along with your Coconut Oil (which BTW is GREAT).

This can be given 3 to 4 times weekly.
Do you recommend a product? All I'm finding is gelcaps. How much do you give? As much as I love using coconut oil, my pup doesn't like it much and often won't eat his food if I put it on there. I definitely wouldn't mind trying out krill oil with him.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Do you recommend a product? All I'm finding is gelcaps. How much do you give? As much as I love using coconut oil, my pup doesn't like it much and often won't eat his food if I put it on there. I definitely wouldn't mind trying out krill oil with him.
Yup...only gel caps.

"Healthy dogs can be given 100 to 150 mg EPA and DHA per 10 pounds of body weight daily; dogs who have health problems can be given up to 300 mg per 10 pounds of body weight."

Large Dog: If feeding raw food: Example: 5 cups of food daily = 1 capsule (of Neptune Krill (NKO) or Mercola Adult Krill Caps which are 300-650 mg) per day except days when feeding fish.

Adult: Krill Oil - Official Site | #1 Ranked Krill Oil
Adult: Buy NOW Foods - Neptune Krill Oil 500 mg. - 120 Softgels at LuckyVitamin.com (check amount to give per mg's)
Adult: Krill Oil capsules (180 per bottle): 1 bottle - Mercola.com
Here is a daily spray for pups and small dogs: Krill Oil For Pets - Mercola.com

Hope this helps!:)

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
100-150mg per 10 pound body weight? That's 500mg to 750mg for a 50 pound dog, or 4 to 5 capsules daily of the first site listed. So a two month supply would be $119! Ouch...

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
100-150mg per 10 pound body weight? That's 500mg to 750mg for a 50 pound dog, or 4 to 5 capsules daily of the first site listed. So a two month supply would be $119! Ouch...
Yes, it is a little pricy! But I think it is because these particular brands get their products tested for PCB's and Mercury.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd also recommend checking out Swanson Vitamins online - amazing prices, and you can get bottled fish oil (I'm pretty sure I've also seen Krill there), if you're trying to avoid gel caps.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so, with a capsule, does the capsule break down? i thought the
capsule has to be made out of a certain material for it to break down.
break down meaning the dog gets the benefit of the capsule.
i give my dog the oils (liquid). i do ground things to have the same effect.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
A gel capsule will break down. I give Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet Soft Gels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts