German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
Whole Foods carries extra virgin organic coconut oil, organic coconut flakes.
health food stores carry extra virgin coconut oil. organic flax seed oil, cold
pressed extra virgin salmon oil is good for dogs.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I buy it at Vitacost.com. In fact, I get a lot of human-grade supplements for my dogs from Vitacost, as the prices are good and there's free shipping over $25 (and frequent coupon codes that bring the price down even more).

For coconut oil, I usually get the Vitacost brand (which is cold pressed, certified organic). It runs around $21 for 54 oz. Sometimes they run sale that's buy-one-get-one-50%-off on their own branded products (which works out to about $32 for 108 oz), and they send out a coupon code on top of that for 12% off that works with the sale items (plus always free shipping over $25 of Vitacost-brand products...)---that's when I stock up! Other times they run sales on a name brand like Nutiva or Elfa-Gold that makes those brands great deals. The key is cold-pressed and organic, whatever the brand!

BTW, if you decide to order through Vitacost, send me a PM. I can send you a code for $10 off your first order of $30+.

If you are a member of Costco, I recently saw Nutiva in huge jars there at a great price (less than I pay online, but I don't have a local Costco and it was too big a jar to fit in my suitcase...).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Magwart - what other supplements do you get from Vitacost? We shop at Vitacost. We give our boys coconut oil, vitamin e and fish oils. Wondering what human grade brands you buy. Thanks! (Sorry for hijacking this thread.) ;)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
If you are a member of Costco, I recently saw Nutiva in huge jars there at a great price (less than I pay online, but I don't have a local Costco and it was too big a jar to fit in my suitcase...).
I found a small jar of Nutiva at the local grocery store for $11.99 but a friend found the 72 oz jars at the local Costco for $22.00 so I had her get me one. :)

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
My guy is an 11-year-old senior with arthritis, so the supplement list is long. He gets: Natural Eggshell Membrane, Hyaluronic Acid/Collagen II, B-Complex, Mixed Tocopherol Vitamin E, Ester C, CoQ-10, Glucosamine/Chondroitin and Fish Oil.

All are Vitacost brand, except the Ester C, Gluc/Chon, and Fish Oil.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I am looking for recommendations of a brand. Lots of posts on this. but nothing on brand or where to get it that I was able to find here.

My local shop does not carry it. I found this on Amazon so far

NUTIVA Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil - 15 oz, 2 pack: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

What I like about Nutiva is it is "Hexane free", is middle of the road priced. I have used Carrington farms brand from Costco (in Canada), at 1/2 the price of Nutiva, but the label does not claim Hexane free...Hexane is a chemical extraction - not sure if cold pressing negates from using this however - cold pressed maybe means pure natural - but nowadays you just cannot be sure

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I am off to Costco on Wednesday to see if they have it here. If not I will look at some of the other alternatives.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Health Benefits

Scroll down to coconut.
The FAQ lists BPA free container, Hexane free extraction

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Health Benefits

Scroll down to coconut.
The FAQ lists BPA free container, Hexane free extraction
That's awesome! Had always meant to contact to find this out...

So Carrington Farms at $18 (approx.) vs. $40 for nutiva (CDN.)

·
Registered
538 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any suggestions on how much to feed. One pup 20 pounds and one adult 78 pounds
Not sure for a 20 lb dog, but we give 3 1/2 oz per week to our GSD as per our Canine nutritionist. This is weight ounces, not volume. Not sure what it works out to daily. I measure out a weeks worth and add a little bit to each meal.

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
Start out with just a little and over about 2 weeks, work up to 1 teaspoons per 10# for a healthy dog (I think you can go up to 2 tsp per 10# for a senior or sick dog).

Don't start with the full amount or you may get some digestive upset or even "herxing" if your dog has yeast. It's important to introduce gradually, and work up to it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks guys.

I thought I was done buying stuff for the dogs this month, but then I stumbled across this thread! The dogs are going through *my* coconut oil like crazy, so I'll be ordering some coconut oil, salmon oil, and vitamin E from Vitacost.

But seriously, thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I would have gone broke buying the tiny, expensive jars at the store I bought it at :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts